Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Any experience of retiring a greyhound?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Hamlet, May 14, 2010.

1. Hamlet

Hamlet PetForums Newbie

Hi, we're really hoping to retire a greyhound some time in the near future but I wanted to stop here and grab any advice going, especially from anyone who's retired a greyhound and especially those with children.

I'm not sure if the fact that my eldest is a boot scooter (so dog level most of the time) might be a stumbling block in trying to adopt. He's pretty easy going and only likely to explore the face of a dog that's hard to move away from him since he's pretty slow to react to anything. My youngest will be going to school in September so I'll soon have time during the day to devote to a pet, and we live in front of a dog walking area (with lots of local dog walks) and have an enclosed garden. I really think we could give a dog a good loving home.

I guess I just don't want to walk into this without both eyes open and want to make sure we can provide a proper home for a dog, check out good brands of dog food etc, and learn a bit more about adopting an ex racer before moving forward with it really. Any advice, much appreciated. :D

2. GSDlover4ever

GSDlover4ever PetForums VIP

i have never had a grey hound myself, but they are ment to be great first dogs. they can be energetic, gentle and be lazy as well and they would rather sleep all day lol

is their any enclosed areas where you are able to let them off?

Most ex racing grey hounds have to be muzzled when out in public areas where their is a high chance of small furries and cats near by as they have a high prey drive. However some greys don't have such a drive and don't have to be muzzled.

Today i was out walking my GSD and my mums 2 westie pups and a man was walking behind us with a lurcher it was running about daft ofleash. It didn't really bother with the pups!

3. GSDlover4ever

where abouts are you in the UK?

I could find some rescues for you :)

4. GSDlover4ever

Celia Cross Greyhound & Lurcher Rescue
    Surrey. Email: [email protected]

Dog Rescue Ireland
    P.O.Box 4734. Dublin.1. Ireland. (Homes wanted only)
    Phone 00-353-1-8642968. Email. [email protected]
    Dog Rescue - Home

Dumfriesshire and Cumbria Greyhound Rescue
    Dumfriesshire
    Tel: 0845 3451148 Email: [email protected]
    Dumfriesshire & Cumbria Greyhound Rescue

Evesham Greyhound and Lurcher Rescue
    Phone: 01386 853971 Fax: 01295 758539
    Email: [email protected] Evesham Greyhound & Lurcher Rescue

Fen Bank Greyhound Sanctuary
    Fen Bank, Frisney, Lincs. Tel: 01205 270166
    Email [email protected] Fen Bank Greyhound Sanctuary

Greyhound Awareness League
    Scotland. Information Line: 0870 8887277
    Email: [email protected].

Greyhound Compassion
    Sally Slater, Tiverton, Devon. Tel: 01884 254727
    Email: [email protected] Greyhound Compassion Home Page

Greyhound Rescue West of England
    Co-ordinator Mr and Mrs Francis, Devon. Tel: 07000 785092

Greyhound Rescue Wales
    Mr B Hearth, Swansea, West Glamorgan. Tel: 07071 881068

Greyhound Welfare
    Rogerstone, Gwent.
    Tel: 01633 892846 Fax: 01633 895655
    Email: [email protected]

Retired Greyhound Trust - Croftview Kennels
    Whitehorse Lane, Harvel, Nr Meopham, Kent, DH13 0AU
    Tel: 01474 815273. Email: [email protected]

RGT - Northants Greyhound Rescue
    The Old Red Lion, 4 Banbury Road, Litchborough, Northants NN12 8JF
    Home : 01327 830250 Kennels: 01327 831224
    Home

Retired Greyhound Trust - Nottingham branch
    Woddborough, Nottingham
    Tel: 01159 655 434 Email: [email protected]
    Retired Greyhound Trust Nottingham Branch

South West Sight Hounds
    Bristol.
    Tel: 01454 632333 Email: [email protected]
    Welcome To South West Sighthounds

Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Moorside Farm, Cragg Vale, Halifax, West Yorkshire, HX7 5TY
    Tel: 07974 960 684
    TIA GREYHOUND & LURCHER RESCUE - Halifax - West Yorkshire - UK

The Greyhound Trust
    Worcester Park, Surrey. Tel: 020 8335 3016

5. happysaz133

happysaz133 PetForums VIP

Do you mean you have a greyhound and are going to retire it, or wanting to adopt a retired greyhound? I'm guessing you want to adopt :)

I have 2 retired greyhounds, they are very laid back and easy going. They are great with children of all ages, and even regularly meet up with disabled children and are wonderful around them. Your home sounds great, try contacting the Retired Greyhound Trust. They will usually have a dog that will fit in with your lifestyle. They also have puppies in occasionally if you are interested although you may have to wait a while! Mine both came from them, and they are such friendly people, willing to help you.

Mine eat Burgess Supadog Greyhound & Lurcher, as retired greys don't need a lot of protein, this suits them well :) although I am sure there are many others out there.

You also sometimes find ads for greyhounds needing homes in papers and things in the unlikely chance you are turned down (doesn't happen often, I promise!). Best of luck in your search, you won't be disappointed. Greys are the BEST breed ever (although I may be a tiny bit biased)...
    [​IMG]

6. Hamlet

Hamlet PetForums Newbie

Wow, thanks, that's fantastic! :D We're in Somerset, close to the Devon and Dorset border so we'll look at those too.

We have a few areas that are fairly enclosed. We have lots of fields to walk in too; I've read that greyhounds can be gradually trained to tolerate longer walks. I've been in search of good enclosed fields with no burrows or holes for the dog to catch their legs on when running (I hear this can be a risk with fast runners). I've found a few that seem pretty safe but I'll need to take a better look the next time we go for a walk.

7. Hamlet

Hamlet PetForums Newbie

Oh wow, your greys are beautiful! :D Yeah I'd like to adopt. :) It's so encouraging to hear your dogs meet up with disabled children regularly and that homes aren't usually turned down. My youngest two are really gentle with friends' dogs so I'm very confident they'll be fine.

I'm so excited at the thought of having a family dog again. I so terribly miss our GSD. He lived with us until Cameron was born so ill, then he went to live with my parents but remained a family pet and was wonderful until the end. I think we need a dog with far less energy this time though... he could walk for hours and still beg to go back out again on arriving home. :lol:

8. happysaz133

happysaz133 PetForums VIP

There are people in my village who have children with downs syndrome, spina bifida and there's another in a wheelchair. The dogs are a bit slower around them, and very calm and gentle, compared to other children who love to play with them running about and things, they know they have to be a bit calmer. The children love meeting them :)

9. 2Hounds

2Hounds PetForums VIP

I have 2 retired greyhounds, i don't have any kids myself but we meet a fair few that want to stroke the dogs when were out and my 5yr old nephew visits occasionally and they are very good with him. The greyhound groups would be able to help you select a suitable dog for your household and some may have lived previously or been fostered with children.

Most will happily walk further than the 2x20 minute walks a day the rescues suggest. Our usual walks are only a few miles but not at much of a pace as they enjoy reading & replying to the peemail too much :rolleyes: but we sometimes do a 5mile loop walk which frankly i'm more tired at the end of than they seem to be. However they seem to sleep most of the time no matter how much exercise they've had during the day:lol:

I feed mine on Skinners F&T salmon & rice which suits them well and reasonably priced, they previously had [email protected] wainwrights version which was good too. Its often trial & error as what suits one dog might not suit another.

Here's the Retired Greyhound Trust site, they have a lot of greyhound info and their branch list (homing policies vary between branches), there are probably other independent groups that will also home in your area, here's a where to adopt map but i'm not sure how up-to-date it is. GRWE, Greyhound Gap and Kerry Greyhounds (they post in the rescue section on here) also home nationally.

Hector & the nephew who started out scared of the dogs at the begining of this trip away.
    [​IMG]

10. momentofmadness

momentofmadness PetForums VIP

My mum has one.. Chatter had her for four years now... The only things she had probs with is Chatter was used to being muzzled in the pen.. And they said this is cos the pens are quite small and there are two in there and sometimes they squabble.. anyways when she came to live with me mum, when left alone she kept chewing her legs and back... Went vets and she was ok just something she did.. also we all are very carefull near her fit if she is laid out she is sometimes a worryer incase you stand on them I don't think anyone in the family ever has.. But she is a bit wary..lol She is a lovely dog and my 6 year old was 2 wen she got her and she was fab with him.. We all went to the kennels to meet her even my dogs.. They wanted toknow everyone who would be in daily contact with her would be ok..

11. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

Greyhound Gap is also a greyhound rescue based in Staffordshire but rehoming greyhounds all over the country.

Greyhound Gap - Home

If the rescue centres turn you down for whatever their reasons might be then you could try looking in the classifieds on sites such as greyhound data which is a racing greyhound site. Make sure you look in the UK classifieds there are often dogs there free to good home. Remember though dogs from a rescue would have been assessed and may have been in a foster home. The dogs in the classifieds are straight from trainers and would not have been in a house before or been house trained.

My ex racer Button came to me this way not because I was turned down for a rescue but because I eeded the dogs racing papers as I wanted to show her and needed them to register her with the KC.

12. Hamlet

Hamlet PetForums Newbie

Thanks everyone, that's really helpful. I've been looking at the sites and so many of the dogs suit children of all ages or children above 2.

I'll get in touch with one of the trusts and see what happens. :D

13. keeleyjane19

keeleyjane19 Guest

Greyhounds are great!! Just rehomed one myself, couch potato!! Timid at first as she wasn't used to the family lifestyle. Now she is out of her shell, loving, cuddly, LAZY!! A real diamond....an angel compared to my terrier and chihuahua!!! All the best xxxx

14. Fourniers

Fourniers PetForums Newbie

Just before Christmas 2012 we took in a retired racer, a most charming and delightful Brindle bitch who was just three in November 2012. According to her papers, she ran 60 races, had 14 first's and had 10 second places, although all of that is irrelevant to us as we entertain absolutely no connection in such 'sports' (be it with horses or dogs!). Although we kept horses, and cats too, for many years, Annie is our first dog, so we are on a steep learning curve, but if she is typical of her breed, we could not have chosen better.

From day one she settled into our domestic lifestyle and, apart from a little accident yesterday when I failed miserably to react to her body language, from first entering her new home she immediately took great care to keep it clean. Temperamentally, she is an absolute delight and a big softie and, true to others descriptions we have read, she simply loves to wallow in the home comforts of wall-to-wall carpets and central heating, not to mention lazing around dozing much of the time. For the first few nights she whimpered and barked a few times when she was asked to go to bed in the utility room, but now she sleeps right through without any fuss or protest. However, she has quickly cottoned on to the idea that she has a couple of easy to manipulate humans and can be very demanding of attention at times, our own fault we are sure, (but we don't mind really!) plus she would have an insatiable appetite if we indulged her frequent demands.

The only 'issue' we have is that although she seems to be quite keen to get dressed for walkies, once we are outdoors she displays a frustrating reluctance to actually walk! She will stop dead and drop her head and no amount of gentle pulling, or tugging, or lead shaking, will persuade her to move from our driveway. Eventually, after a lot of cajoling and stroking around her head, nose and chin she will agree to move forward and, once she is under way, she will eventually walk happily at heel for most of the time, or even be very forward-going at times (to use a horsey term) and set a good pace. However, she will then suddenly take it into her head to again stop dead, drop her head and refuse to move forward until some form of distraction is used, such as the head and nose/chin fussing tactic previously mentioned. Although we do give tit-bit rewards from time to time, we have deliberately avoided using those as distractions to her stop dead tactic.

Perhaps it is still early days and may be we are asking too much of her, but we do try to walk her for around 30 to 45 minutes twice per day, both for her benefit and ours too! In other respects of obedience, although she will now immediately respond to 'bed' and 'lie down' and a firm 'NO!' when she is being a bit crafty, such as trying to slide onto a bed, more advanced obedience, such as 'sit' or 'stay' we have yet to embark upon. That said, if we could find the key to her reluctance to walk properly that would be a real bonus for us and, we would suspect, for Annie too. If anyone out there has had a similar experience and can offer probable solution we shall be most delighted to receive suggestions we can try with Annie.:confused:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice