Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

any breeds similar to pug?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by dogwatcher, Feb 4, 2008.

1. dogwatcher

dogwatcher PetForums Newbie

I was thinking about pug, actually I have my heart set on a pug, but I hear they can have lots of expensive health problems-which could be a problem for us??? Also I live in Turkey, and it can very hot, although I do have air con.

I just wondered what other breeds people could recommend for me;
    I have a nearly 3 year old daughter
    I live in an apartment
    I only go out for short periods, so I'm in most of the time, if not sometimes I would take the dog with me

I would like a companion dog, one dog that is known to be super with small children, that doesn't bark much. Don't mind spending time grooming.
    Thanks for your help-please help.

2. bullbreeds

bullbreeds PetForums VIP

In all honesty you cant trust any dog with a child and you certainly shouldnt leave them alone unsupervised, not even for a second. Many dogs adore children and would never harm one but its best to be safe than sorry.
    Another similar breed with less health problems would be a french bulldog. They dont shed as much as a pug either.
    They are quite active so would need a fair amount of exercise, especially if you live in an apartment but I suppose that would go for any breed you have.
    Whichever dog you choose its best to get it insured so you dont find yourself in a position later down the line. :)

3. Tina

Tina Guest

staffords make great pets plus certain black show staffords look like pugs lol

4. sallyanne

sallyanne Guest

I was going to suggest a stafforshire bull terrier,they don't need alot of grooming and are known as the nanny dog because of their affection for children and they are a very people orientated breed.

5. dogwatcher

dogwatcher PetForums Newbie

I will do some research into the staffordshire. Thank you.
    Ah, pet insurance I never thought about that I am sure it is available here, so how doesn that work.....
    for example, is it.... prehaps you pay 20 pound a month, and then if the animal goes to the vet you don't pay anything, or do you pay a percentage of the cost????? Can someone explain to me how it works please. If we have the insurance prehaps then a pug would be ok for us. Oh yes, I know all dogs must be supervised with small children, a dog is a dog afterall!
    Thanks all

6. Vixie

Vixie PetForums VIP

with insurance in this country, you pay a monthly charge say £15 for example and if your pet is ill you have to pay an excess (say the first £50 or £60 pounds of any treatment), most insurance companies requires you to have your dog inoculated when its a puppy and then once a year after, not sure how this works in Turky but hope its of some help :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice