Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Any advice sought on my boy waking me up at 4am every morning

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by Northern castles, Mar 18, 2017.

1. Northern castles

Northern castles PetForums Newbie

Hi, newbee here. We have two lovely 12month old cats, whom we adore. They've been with us since 13 weeks, and they're our first cats. I haven't slept past 5 am for a long time. Our boy Bud likes to wake me up at 5am or earlier every morning with big wet kisses, and his tongue is very rough. He's persistent till I get up. His sister stays asleep on bed. We love them very much but I'd like to get a good night's sleep (sound so selfish). Due to our work one of us is always home unless we have a day out. We established a routine which we stick too, and at 7am with crusty eyes we have bit of wand play before food. When I'm woken during night I do give in and out food out but it's not touched. I have to add they're both indoor cats, and we've toy boxes galore which I rotate, and I hide new toys around house before bed, along with a couple of freeze dried treats. I'm loathe to keeping him out of my room at night as my other half suggested as my boy follows me to bed and sleeps by my feet and our girl in between my other half and me. It's not a serious problem and I know cats are active at dawn and dusk. Thanks in advance if anyone has suggestions

2. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

@Northern castles -

Hi and welcome. :) As your OH has suggested the best way to stop Bud waking you early is to shut him out of your bedroom at night, and settle him and his sister in a room on their own every night, with food, water and litter trays. There would need to be two closed doors between you (your bedroom door and their room door) so you can't hear Bud if he scratches the door of his room.

If you prefer to have him in your bedroom at night I can only suggest you play with him vigorously for half an hour with a fishing rod toy such as Flying Frenzy before bedtime to help him use up his energy. That way he may (possibly) sleep later than 5 am.

Also leave some tasty wet food for him in an autofeeder timed to open around 4.30 am, before the time he usually wakes you. I understand you say he is not hungry when he wakes you but as you rightly mention cats are crepuscular and therefore dawn is when a cat would begin hunting if they were feeding themselves. It is quite probable that Bud is hungry when he wakes you. Leaving food over night in a timed feeder is often enough to stop a cat waking his owner early.

Lurcherlad and Northern castles like this.
  3. Northern castles

Hello chillminx ☺. Thank you for your advice, I hadn't even considered a timed feeder at all, and I think that is fantastic idea, as I must admit I'm half asleep when I'm woken and go to kitchen and feed. I'd been to pet store for advice today and was told to leave dried food out overnight and I really don't want to give them dried food. Though we did pick up a helicopter type frenzy there today which I will up the night time play as perhaps 10 minutes not enough time. We had tried closing them out but failed, it was all me as aside from the rough heaving face washing I love having them there, and my other half isn't woken. And Bud thuded into door begging to be in. I'm off to google auto feeders as that probably help with our other problem, one eating others food. Thank you.

chillminx likes this.
  4. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

This is the autofeeder I used for many years at night:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Cats/Mat...id=1489865677&sr=8-5&keywords=cat+auto+feeder

It does not contain a microchip so either of the cats will be able to access once it opens.

If you need to prevent Bud stealing his sister's food, it would be a good idea to buy her a microchip feeder. They are a brilliant invention. Amazon sells them :

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sureflap-5...id=1489865954&sr=8-1&keywords=sureflap+feeder

Then Bud could have his autofeeder at night and his sister could have her microchip feeder. :)

Northern castles likes this.
  5. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Also try and make the room dark, keeping the early daylight out might help.

Northern castles and chillminx like this.
  6. Northern castles

Hi, I'm on amazon and looking at microchip feeders x2, what a fab invention. Pricey but I think it's going to help food steeling and sleep deprivation. I'm now explaining myself to my other half why I'm spending more money on the kids again

claire8234, chillminx and Lurcherlad like this.
  7. Northern castles

Hi lurcherlad we've got blackout blinds and curtains in all rooms apart from kitchen. Carefully make safe each night the pulleys but they do sometimes nudge up the blinds to see out windows.

chillminx likes this.
  8. Luna_2016

Luna_2016 PetForums Member

Try feeding them just before bed time and giving them a bit of play about half an hour before sleep time to wear them out, that helped stop our cat from waking us up early! We also never let her in our bedroom. She still meows once she hears we are up, but not before.

9. Yorkshirecats

Yorkshirecats PetForums Member

I agree about setting them up in their own rooms with everything they need and ensure that there are 2 doors between you.

10. sagedynasty

sagedynasty PetForums Newbie

Hi there. It might be late to comment, but there's a video I recently watched that I think could help you with your cats.The video is called "Train Your Cat To Let You Sleep" by Jackson Galaxy. Hope this helps!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice