UK Pet Forums Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i sold a pug pup to a lady from devon on the 29/09/2012 and when she took the pup to her vet on 3/10/2012 her vet discovered that the pup has an umbilical hernia, i was not aware of this and my vet didnt pick it up either.

i have offered her back the full purchase price of pup and also i will give her the money for the 2nd vaccination and i asked that she bring back the pup to me.
she has not brought the pup back and the last time she contacted me was the 5/10/2012.

she then text me yesterday saying that i have been ignoring her and she is now starting court procedings against me.

i have sought legal advice about this but just wanted to know if anyone else has exprienced anything similar.

i am just really confused as to why she hasnt brought the pup back .
thanks amanda

G

·
sounds like she's trying it on! keep everything , texts , emails etc just incase you need them i wouldnt think she has a leg to stand on though , think you have been more than fair!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i have saved all texts and i have been advised to send her a letter recorded delivery stating what i am offering her, i am doing this tomorrow.

i would like to have the pup back though.

G

·
i'd ask her for a full veterinary report too from her vet.
i don't see what more you can do really:( i think your being more than reasonable and fulfilled your end of the bargain as a breeder.
hope you manage to get your puppy back.

·
Registered
611 Posts
i have saved all texts and i have been advised to send her a letter recorded delivery stating what i am offering her, i am doing this tomorrow.

i would like to have the pup back though.
I get recorded items just posted through my door, send it signed for next day, costs more but you will have proof that she signed for it!

Does sound a bit odd, maybe she wants a refund and to keep the pup? Is the pups health in danger with a hernia? I thought it was a simple op when neutered it can be fixed?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i will get the letter sent recorded signed for next day, i was planning to do that anyway.

i was informed by my vet that it is just a simple operation to get the umbillical hernia fixed if needed and he charges £65 for this, but the lady told me that her vet would charge her £250 for the operation. i realize that vets do vary in price but that is a massive difference.
i could of gone down the road of offering her the money for the operation but i would prefer to have the pup back.

i have also stated in the letter that i would like a full vets report.

amanda

·
Registered
8,343 Posts
She may want it fixed.

As someone in the same situation as this owner i can tell you its pretty maddening to say the least.
Any breeder should be able to spot a herna and if you buy a puppy you would expect to be told about it first.

They can have health implications sometimes and can be very upsetting when you believed you trusted a breeder but then you find it and its all well and good to say have it fixed which is what happened with me but then you have the op to go through too.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
She may want it fixed.

As someone in the same situation as this owner i can tell you its pretty maddening to say the least.
Any breeder should be able to spot a herna and if you buy a puppy you would expect to be told about it first.

They can have health implications sometimes and can be very upsetting when you believed you trusted a breeder but then you find it and its all well and good to say have it fixed which is what happened with me but then you have the op to go through too.
i didnt spot the hernia and neither did my vet, i havent said i would pay for the op on the hernia, i would pfrefer to have the pup back.
it may not need the op anyway.
what did your breeder do when you discovered your pup had the hernia.
thanks amanda

·
Registered
10,727 Posts
She may want it fixed.

She did say though that she didnt notice it and neither did the vet,it may be a con to get some cash out of op.

·
Registered
8,343 Posts
i didnt spot the hernia and neither did my vet, i havent said i would pay for the op on the hernia, i would pfrefer to have the pup back.
it may not need the op anyway.
what did your breeder do when you discovered your pup had the hernia.
thanks amanda
Well she may want to keep the pup.

I'll be honest i asked for the money to fix it even though he still hasnt had it and she offeredcit.
She also offered me to take him back and have his brother instead. Now i didnt like this as if i am the type of person you want to look after one of your dogs you should think that from day one he is now with me for life. No returns and no exchanges.
Just because you wpuld want it back doesnt mean they want to part with the pup. They may just be annoyed. I contacted legal advice too and the kc who doubted that any breeder could miss a hernia. My breeder said the same as you, she hadnt noticed it nor the vet so it must be small.
The kc were of the opinion either the pup had never been handled or the breeder was lying.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well she may want to keep the pup.

I'll be honest i asked for the money to fix it even though he still hasnt had it and she offeredcit.
She also offered me to take him back and have his brother instead. Now i didnt like this as if i am the type of person you want to look after one of your dogs you should think that from day one he is now with me for life. No returns and no exchanges.
Just because you wpuld want it back doesnt mean they want to part with the pup. They may just be annoyed. I contacted legal advice too and the kc who doubted that any breeder could miss a hernia. My breeder said the same as you, she hadnt noticed it nor the vet so it must be small.
The kc were of the opinion either the pup had never been handled or the breeder was lying.
she hasnt asked for the money for the op, i thought that i was doing the responsible thing by offering the money back for the pup, i didnt spot the hernia and neither did my vet, but then again she hasnt offered the vets report to me either.
i would never offer another pup as a replacement, if you havent recived any money from the breeder then are you starting court procedings like this lady is doing?
amanda

·
Registered
8,343 Posts
To be honest i have had a kitten born with one and i did notice it.

Id just want to make sure its not a con proof is needed i guess.

The op seems a decent breeder seems trust worth ie coming here to ask advise nothing to hide there.:)
Im not saying they are not a good breeder. Having been in the same situation as the puppy owner i can tell you it is no fun.
The vets bill will be proof.

My breeder is well respected and recommended and her kennels have won the highest prizes, doesnt mean i didnt have a bad experience.

G

·
she hasnt asked for the money for the op, i thought that i was doing the responsible thing by offering the money back for the pup, i didnt spot the hernia and neither did my vet, but then again she hasnt offered the vets report to me either.
i would never offer another pup as a replacement, if you havent recived any money from the breeder then are you starting court procedings like this lady is doing?
amanda
the reality is , you may not get the pup back , but she can't have both so you may have to meet her in the middle and offer to pay for the hernia repair.
what has she said she actually wants ? assume she wants the pup and a full refund ?

·
Registered
8,343 Posts
amanda
Did your bitch have one or the sire?

There has been no op, if there ever is i will ask for the money.

The responsible thing would be to pay for the op. Surely you dont want to rehome the puppy if it is already in a home you deemed acceptable before. I would never have given the pup back but it doesnt mean you cant be annoyed though.

It wasnt just the kc. My vet said theres no way you wouldnt know.

Are you a kc breeder?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.