Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Any Advice please?

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by merlin39, Jan 18, 2012.

1. merlin39

merlin39 PetForums Member

We are getting a second dog from a litter of cockerpoos. We have pick of the litter but want a bitch as we have a neutered dog already.
    The pups were born last night and there is one white girl in a litter of 8 brown. Mum and dad are brown.
    Everyone has been asking if we will have the white one but in the back of my mind I keep thinking there is health complications with white dogs like this? Prone to More allergies or something?
    Am I remembering wrong? Does anyone have any advice or experience with this?

2. fluffybunny2001

fluffybunny2001 PetForums VIP

does the pup have lack of pigment as well,ie pink eyes and pink nose?

3. AlexArt

AlexArt PetForums Senior

Some white dogs in certain breeds can be more prone to skin problems, deafness etc, even more so if albino ie. pink nose/eyes, it could also be a throw back - poodles commonly come in white so it could be from the poodle parent - just make sure they are both health tested parents, if not walk away!!

I would maybe wait too until pups have their eyes and ears open and had their first vet check before making a decision anyway. I had pick of a litter last year with my pup as we had a reserve before he was even born, but we didn't go and pick until they were 4 weeks old and were up and about and could see something of their little personalities, I'm glad we did as we had picked a different pup by photos at 2 weeks old, but when we met him we just didn't click with him, but did with another.

4. merlin39

merlin39 PetForums Member

Thanks for your advice! We will not be going to meet them until they are about 5 weeks, just trying to insure I have all the info at hand so on the day I can make an informed decision :)
    We already have a dog from this pairs previous litter so I know they have all the tests etc for both parent.
    We just have photos to go on for now! Excited! To be honest our current cockerpoo is a mud magnet so will prob go for an already brown one! Lol

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice