UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
Have you tried wrapping him in a towel? This is what I do to mine, and they're not even mean bunnies, I do it to keep them from wriggling about :)

Obviously dont wrap him too tightly but tight enough to stop him moving about.
If you have someone to help then ever better. They can hold bunny in the towel and you then have 2 free hands to hold a paw and trim the nails.

·
Registered
8,287 Posts
I'd recommend enlisting the help of someone calm - one of you hold bunny, one of you clip.

If bunny gets stressed, just do one paw a day. Give him a treat straight after.

Also, I would use nail clipper with a guard on so you can't overclip. Just in case bunny jumps as you clip. It's the worst feeling in the world when you overclip and make bun's nail bleed.

Also, I would recommend doing it at ground level, to avoid falls and injuries.

If you have to do it by yourself, I would say kneel down and contain bun between your thighs (the things we do), either head in or out, depending on what paw you are doing. Obviously, if bun is a nipper, protect yourself with a nice thick towel.

Good luck!!

·
Registered
5,961 Posts
I enlist the help of my dad.
We wrap the bunny in a towel and sit it on its bum on my dads lap, not on its back, but with its back resting up against my dad with feet sticking out, bum tucked under, if that makes sence?

I then get each claw done, put on floor, towel off, and reapeat another 6 times.... :p

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I use the bunny burrito (wrapped in a towel) method and it helps to calm down my big girl, because of her size she needs to feel supported and the towel helps with that.

The thing to remember with this method is to make sure the three legs you don't need are securely wrapped up :)

·
Registered
212 Posts
I usually take mine to the vets and call it their beauty treatment spa day lol

But I feel so lucky, when. Clip joeys nails he doesn't care, give him a treat you can shake his paw, he doesn't mind.

Bumble on the other hand doesn't like her feet being touched, so I tend to hold her while my partner clips.

I recommend the cat nail clippers, as they are small and cut at a slight angle to stop the nail from splitting.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.