Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Any advice for a newly diagnosed Cushings mum

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Clairebear76, Jun 9, 2019.

1. Clairebear76

Clairebear76 PetForums Newbie

Good morning all, hope you’re all well?
    On Friday my boy Louis (he’s a Staffy Collie X) was diagnosed with Cushings.
    The vet asked me to have a think about if I want to go ahead with treatment over the weekend but I have to say there hasn’t been much thinking about it! It seems a no brainer to me given that his main symptom is lethargy so I think it’s affecting his quality of life. If his main symptom had been drinking or weeing a lot I may have held off for a while and monitored him. He’s always been very bouncy and loved his tennis balls but the last few months he can only manage around a 25 minute walk and he’s shattered. He starting with a bit of a belly, panting after not much exertion and the patch that was shaved by the vet a few weeks ago still hasn’t grown back. He’s not drinking massive amounts, or over eating.
    The vet has been really good and we had a good chat over the phone on Friday but I’d like to get peoples real experiences of having a dog with Cushings. I’d love to think that I may notice an improvement in his energy levels quite quickly.
    Any help or advice would be very much appreciated. x

2. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

Someone in my agility club had a dog with Cushings and the treatment worked really well. This was a Jack Russell aged about 11 and he went on for about 5 more years. You don't say how old your dog is, or what life expectancy he has, but to me, also, it's a no-brainer.
    There was quite a bit of monitoring in the early stages of treatment, to get the dose right. Blood tests and tweaks to the medication.

niamh123 likes this.
  3. Clairebear76

Thanks for the reply! Sorry, I forgot to mention his age. He’s 10 now so to my mind he’s certainly got plenty of good years in him yet. It’s given me a wake up call that we don’t do enough together - doggy centred days out are now definitely on the cards. The vet did warn me it’s a bit of a faff at first but once the dose is dialled in it’ll be fairly straightforward. He had his first tablet this morning and so far so good! x

4. niamh123

niamh123 PetForums VIP

Hope his dosage can be worked out quickly for him :)

5. Charity

Charity Endangered Species

Our last dog, a Jack Russell, developed Cushings at the same age. Once the medication dose is correct, I assume Louis's on Vetoryl, it makes a huge difference and ours was back to being her normal self within a few weeks. .She continued on until she was 17. Wishing Louis well.

Burrowzig and niamh123 like this.
  6. Clairebear76

Thanks for the reply’s everyone! Yes, Louis’s on Vetoryl, just 30mg to start with. He’s been very quiet today but it’s only his second day on medication. How soon should I expect a bit of improvement, even though he’s on a lower dose to start with? x

7. Charity

Charity Endangered Species

He may respond on the 30mg but otherwise you may not see much change until the dosage is right. I would think the first improvement will be less drinking and he'll be less lethargic.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice