Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

any 1 has dealings with a puppy farm?

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by maria., Feb 23, 2008.

1. JANICE199

JANICE199 PetForums VIP

hi poochimama,
    i'm getting a toy poodle, but i've changed my mind as to where i'm getting it from.

2. Tobymum

Tobymum PetForums Junior

Best avoid Internet sellers and newspaper ads,try breed club or ask your local vet if he knows any ethical breeders.

3. poochimama

poochimama PetForums Senior

awww sorry to hear that hun :( what colour etc are u looking for ?

4. sallyanne

sallyanne Guest

Don't forget though some decent breeders do advertise on the internet,don't tar them all with the same brush.Puppy buyers need to do their research.

5. poochimama

I agree sally anne
    I advertise on net but saying that i didnt need to LOL
    and i have a website so ppl can see lots of pics of my dogs and get info they need as well . I insist on chatting to potential new owners and expect them to ask me lots too and i ask for references as lets face it these are my babies and i want the best homes eva for them ;)

6. Tobymum

Tobymum PetForums Junior

The net is a minefield and buyers can be taken in so easily its hardly worth the bother of sifting through thousands and thousands of ads, much better to contact breed club for a list and then sift through that. It may be a little more expensive but when we know unfortunate buyers can spend thousands on a sick or defective pup it works out better in the long term.:)

7. sallyanne

sallyanne Guest

Breed clubs are the best way to go but decent Breeders do advertise on the net.
    You can't tar all Breeders with the same brush,even if you go through a breed club you can't guarentee the breeder is genuine,infact I know of a Breeder who refused to take a dog back they bred yet is a serving active member of a breed club on the commitee.

8. JANICE199

JANICE199 PetForums VIP

poochimama
    i am trying to find a white toy poodle girl, but i'm finding it very difficult.
    and TOBYMUM thankyou so much for your advice.

9. Tobymum

Tobymum PetForums Junior

Janice you are very welcome to advice its the same advice we offer anyone who asks. We turn away as many people as possible away from the internet, newspapers, pet shops etc . Don't rush into anything Janice:)

Poochmania what you say is true there maybe good breeders advertising but if they are GOOD they will also be on the breed club list. New prospective owner then only has short list to sort out wheat from chaff.

All health test will have been done and new owners can have peace of mind.

#49 Tobymum, May 3, 2008
    Last edited: May 3, 2008
  10. scosha37

scosha37 PetForums VIP

OOH yes i had a king charles cavy from a puppy farm its was a nightmare am not going to type all the story in as its to long and painfull ,this is it short, puppy had health problems and very very nervy pee'd everywhere when spoken too, skaybee's(sorry for spellin) heart trouble,canker, plus more to mention,and then sorry to end it he died :( very heartbreaking, i bombarded her with evrything you name it for the sake of the other puppys she had! i say NAME AND SHAME!

SO MY ADVISE IS STAY AWAY FROM THEM .:mad:

am in scotland so its everywhere.

11. poochimama

tobymum... mine are healthchecked and eyetested and new owners vetted but yes i do agree buying a dog these days can be a minefield

12. Tobymum

Tobymum PetForums Junior

We do name and shame:D so long as we have evidence from current vet and all purchase documents. Its time someone made a stand against these people,right .

Poochmania, sounds like you are doing all the right things .

#52 Tobymum, May 3, 2008
    Last edited: May 3, 2008
  13. CANDY

CANDY PetForums Junior

hi there, i wouldnt go near a puppy farm. not having a go at you. but they are b*****ds . they are in it for the money only, they dont care about the dogs health.(maybe not all of them) i used to do rescue work, and i have seen the horror that goes on in these places. ask yourself why you cant have a good look around? wales is where we got alot of the dogs from. a breeding bitch boxer came to us, and oh my god. she was a state. the poor thing gave everything she could. then tossed aside and forgotten about. the only way we could get the dogs out of there , is if we could prove what dogs they had and what state that they were in. and that was only to stop us taking action. as soon as you take a puppy from these places, you are only making way for another. poor little babes. im from wales and it makes me sick to think thats happening back home.:mad: is your puppy ok? was she healthy when you got her? shes safe now , but spare a thought for the others! god help them.

14. gaga

gaga PetForums Newbie

Yes, Mr Knox and his infamous Puppy Farm in Lanchester Durham. horrible man, poor shy ill pups. Went there, horrible aggressive man, he brought in 2 pups who ran under the coffee table in fear. He pulled the table out and held the pups. they were ill, weepy eyes and they didnt move (hardly at all) so sad. The deposit was paid (aggresive man) Boasted about some stupid PCGE or something registered!!!!! what ever the hell that is? He is on this website offereing five different pup types now. Found lots of stuff about him on the internet so didnt give him the rest of the money. Please. Please can we join together and stop these men????? We must be able to do SOMETHING?????????? he is on this web site! Stop helping them make a living.....................Dont buy a pup in Lanchester Durham (although heard he changes his address regularly)..........horrible.............If we work together we can stop this!

15. alaun

alaun PetForums VIP

When we were looking for our first wolfhound we were quite naive. We saw an advert - it seemed okay - it was also in one of the dog papers, so we thought that this meant they were likely to be good breeders, I know better now!

We went to visit. The bitch and dog were in such small pens in the yard, the pups were full of worms. He also had Shar pies, Mastiffs and another breed I can't remember now. He bred French donkeys and several variety of kittens.

He was a professor at a university, so we assumed he was a knowledgeable man! :confused:

Alarm bells were ringing, even though we were young and naive. We asked for a copy of the pedigree and went away to do some digging. The dogs were all inbred. We contacted the breed club, they had no knowledge of this man, but knew the dogs that were his foundation bitches - all supplied from a well known wolfhound puppy farmer.

It was heartbreaking to leave the puppies there, but we knew that it would have been wrong to take one.

We asked about liver shunt testing - which is imperative for wolfhounds - he said it wasn't necessary!!!

A lesson learnt - we are really careful where we get pups from now.

16. lukey81

lukey81 PetForums Newbie

I bought my pug x shih Tzu from a pet shop who's supplier was a so called "puppy farm". It was the best purchase I ever made. 7 years on, she is a perfect dog, highly intelligent, both mentally and physically healthy, was easy to train, and is the most loving and well adjusted dog you have ever come across.
    Not long after buying her, I was told by a breeder that she was the produce of a Puppy Farm (a concept that is still relatively new in Australia), and that if I was a good human being, I would never purchase another puppy from there again. As I wanted to purchase another puppy for a sister to my baby, I asked her to recommend a breeder who was not a "Puppy Farmer". She gave me details of a breeder in Bendigo who had a litter of purebred Pug puppies that had been bred under the correct conditions.
    I went and bought the last puppy of the litter (a runt), but found the conditions to be questionable. There was faeces throughout the house, the mother and father were in pens, and there just seemed to be an abundance of dogs that one owner couldn't possibly manage.
    6 years on, and we have had multitude of health, mental and behavioral problems with her, including a genetic condition that will see us having to make a tough decision as she ages of whether to treat or put her to sleep. We have spent thousands of dollars on a private dog behavioralist, who has claimed that she is the toughest dog she has ever worked with. We love her dearly, but its difficult at times and when people ask what she is like, we compare her to a child with ADHD.
    Its definitely put us off ever getting another "pedigree" from a breeder.
    My point is, even the most reputable of breeders should be highly regulated and shut down if they are producing inferior pups. I hate to say, but I wish I had gone back to the so called puppy farm that I got my first baby from.

17. jardine

jardine PetForums Member

my husband bought me a newfoundland (bonnie) earlier in the year from manchester, and im sure she came from an irish puppy farm, we got a dog crate out a while ago to collect our new pup and bonnie was teriffied, she was barking and growling and wouldnt come anywhere near me, normally she loves everyone to bits, we felt so sorry for her it really makes you wonder what these poor dogs go through.
    breeder mr william smyth - offaly ireland

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice