Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

any 1 has dealings with a puppy farm?

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by maria., Feb 23, 2008.

1. maria.

maria. PetForums Junior

hiya all,

just wondering if any 1 on here as ever had any experiences with a puppy farm? or had 1 closed down or anything like that?. As i live in wales it is quite rife here, altho im not taring every1 in wales with the same brush there are gd & bad everywhere. But unfortunately thats where i got my first dog and they are still advertising today makes me so :mad:

2. carol

carol PetForums VIP

no sorry but yes wales is rife with them, i know a place that get there dogs from wales and have the cheek to sell them for a fortune called jollies in crews hill enfield.

3. Cassiel07

Cassiel07 PetForums Member

There is one that I know of around where my husband and I live. We didn't know that's what it was until we got there. Our first puppy is from there, we couldn't leave her, and if we had the room we would have taken more. When we took her to the vet after getting her, we reported it. Unfortunately, it's still operating and selling those poor animals. The sad thing is this one doesn't just have dogs, they have all kinds of animals. Nothing seems to get done about it, even after numerous complaints have been filed. It's sad...

4. maria.

maria. PetForums Junior

ye loads do unfotunately ive heard dogs r us in manchester do also
    sad world we live in init

5. maria.

maria. PetForums Junior

I know what you mean i reported the farm i got mine from but because its liscensed theres nothing can be done pathetic really

6. Boleyn

Boleyn PetForums Junior

Yes sadly, we bought our first puppy from one many years ago. she was in a terrible state, and had a really bad cough/chest I thought that we were going to lose her at one point, the woman where we got her from had been given her galloways for the cough:mad:. so we took her straight to the vet and reported the woman, and when they invstigated her they found dead puppies in freezers. She was closed down as a result.

7. nici

nici PetForums Senior

i have a so called breeder near me who gets her pupys from wales, afew years ago i wanted a german sheppard got told about this kennel went to have a look had to ring her first couldnt just go there , but when we got there we were taken to the back of the property away from all the dogs she had and there were these very shy pups all were spoken for apart from 2 one had runny eyes and a dribbly nose the other just hide in the background, not being a expert at the time just thought ahh bless, took the one hiding anyway, cut a long story short wish i hadnt from the day i brought her i was in the vets, bad legs bad stomach you name it i think this poor dog had it, the last straw was we she turned about 11 months and she attacked my then 6 year old, i no its not the dogs fault but she had to go. and after getting the dog and all this happening i kept getting told oh no you shouldnt have gone there even the vets new about the kennels but she is fully licensed and dont no how she does it.:mad:

8. Eolabeo

Eolabeo Guest

I got a puppy from one many many years ago, It was covered in these little orangey tiny tick looking things.

She is located in yalding kent and is in it for the money only and there is a freind off her that is located in kent aswell who does the same.
    The puppys dropped their bottom jaw in fright and left their mouths open ( sign of not being socialized, stress and scared out their lifes).
    She breeds cross bred pedigrees aswell, she breeds cross breeds inbetween the full breeds so i bet the same bitches don't get a break.
    i reported her and i think today she is still selling. the bitch :mad:

9. Tobymum

Tobymum PetForums Junior

Please could those of you who have bought sick pups pm me the details where they were bought and the dates .

My friend and I run an anti pup farm website and need lots of info like this to help get the places shut own or at least make buyers aware.

We are also running a poster campaign if you would like to help by printing a couple for display:)

Puppy Love-Home

10. Tobymum

Tobymum PetForums Junior

Thanks to those who helped with this , its only by naming and shaming these people that other potential buyers can be alerted.

11. lizd4688

lizd4688 PetForums Member

i live in wales.
    i have to say all the pups that i sold had been fully checked out,im sorry to hear what has happened to you but not all welsh dog sellers are the same.

12. poochimama

poochimama PetForums Senior

hi my mum had a chinese crested from up near huddersfield afew years ago .. he turned out neurotic (cant walk him in the street he goes loopy if he sees another dog) and has dry eye . The breeder we found out breeds dalmations,dog de bordeauxs,shar peis, cresties and a bt 3 yrs ago was starting to breed poodles. when we contacted the crestie rescue they told us that they had had lots of cresties from her litters and had to treat and rehome.
    she breeds her dogs and puts them in her daughters names, friends and family names also i reported her and nothing ever happened :confused: when i see her advertising i email her just to let her know im watching her.
    I have to say recently having puppies available i know what a minefield it is to find your puppies new homes where they will be loved and cherished and some of these dodgy puppy farmers can be crafty in trying to get a dog from you so if anyones knows any dodgy poodle puppy farmers it would be handy to know :)

Just looked at ur site tobymum ill put a poster on my site later if thats ok

13. Tobymum

Tobymum PetForums Junior

Of course there are good breeders in Wales unfortunately there are more bad than good, Carmarthenshire having the highest number :( Pet shops all round the UK buy from welsh puppy farms it is a fact.

Poochmania if you could pm me with the details of the breeder you mention we will keep an eye on her too and follow up if we get complaints of sick pups, thanks.:)

14. poochimama

poochimama PetForums Senior

pm'd u hun

15. Tobymum

Tobymum PetForums Junior

Thank you :)and yes please do put a poster on your site.

16. maria.

maria. PetForums Junior

Hello you have a great site i have tried to message you about where i had my bichon frise toby from but it wont let me for some reason.

I didnt mean to tarnish all welsh breeders with the puppy farm brush sorry, i just meant that as i got mine form 1 here in wales i have become alot more aware of how big a problem it is and it is rife in camarthenshire unfortunately for the poor dogs who suffer.

17. Vixie

Vixie PetForums VIP

Tobymum, puppy farming is also rife in England as well as Wales, it has to be pointed out and not just to say that Wales is full of them. Saying that I do agree that puppy farming should be stamped out and the way these poor dogs are treated and used as nothing but a money making enterprise is disgusting, the problem is that not enough is being done to prevent it, I know someone who has reported puppy sellers and nothing at all was done and that makes me as angry:mad:

18. sallyanne

sallyanne Guest

It is rife all over the uk, and I would encourage people NOT to buy no matter how sorry you feel for the pups,this encourages them to keep on breeding :mad:

Mine have all come from good reputable breeders :)

19. Vixie

Vixie PetForums VIP

i totally agree people say "I could not leave them in that place" which I can totally understand but it just enables them to continue to do what they do, its a awful situation to be in and such a difficult thing to do but if we all did the same there would be no market for them to sell to

20. Tobymum

Tobymum PetForums Junior

Hi, yes of course there are puppy farms all over UK its a disgrace but it has to be said the majority of pups in pet shops and retail outlets come from Wales and Irleland. We know this as we can trace back where the pups come from when we receive complaints.

Lots of people are still totally unaware where pups come from which is why we set up our site.

As for reporting people and nothing being done, be persistent don't give up, also if you think the person involved is not declaring earnings inform Inland Revenue.
    Its such a lucrative trade, we know someone who was making £8ooo per month , not any more though she ha been closed down.:)

Maria please try to get message through again, we really need to know about these places and thanks for help.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice