Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Any 1 got any training tips,?

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by claireandandy, Jan 11, 2012.

1. claireandandy

claireandandy PetForums Member

i have herd the younger u train a puppy the better and its never too young to start,so using her dry food as a treat im doing the basic sit!

any tips of what to do and how to do it :) XX:D

2. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

Yes little puppies are like a sponge and soak up learning.

The first things most people teach are their name, toilet training and then come when called.

I tend to only call puppies to me when I know they are coming ie when you put the food bowl down, when they are heading back towards you and the back door after toileting etc. then tit-bit and praise.

If you mean how to teach the sit specifically - have a titbit in your fingers, wave it about on the pup's nose then tilt your fingers slowly backwards over the pup's head and its little bottom should hit the floor, as it does say "sit" and give the tit-bit and praise.

HTH

3. Bobbie

Bobbie PetForums VIP

Yes I agree with that I found it fun when the pup does it right for the first time when you give the command it spurs you on to try other things.

4. Rottiefan

Rottiefan PetForums VIP

Put the treat in front of the dog's nose, slowly lift your hand up and gently allow your pup to reach his head back. The treat should be on his nose more or less, but not too high that he jumps on his hind legs to try and get it. Eventually, he should offer something that looks like a SIT. Even if it isn't perfect (e.g. his bum is not completely on the floor) but he looks like he's going to go into a SIT, reward him and work out the particularities at a later date.

I would practise this without any command at first. Wait until the pup is going into a SIT every time you 'lure' him into it just with your hand and do not give any command.

Once he is, you can take away the food and try and get him to do it just with using your hand in the same upward motion (this may take a day or two) and reward him with a treat from the other hand immediately.

Now you are ready to use a command. Say "Sit", give the hand signal (which will become more formal and structured, with your hand and forearm moving upwards, palm towards you). When he does a SIT reward him. Practise, practise, practise.

This may seem longer than others' methods, but it allows your pup to learn both the hand signal and verbal cue for the behaviour.

I would also check out clicker training as there's nothing so beautiful as watching a dog who has been clicker trained when young, being trained when older!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice