Anxious rescue

Discussion in 'Dog Rescue and Adoption' started by GorgeousGeorge, Apr 15, 2018.

1. GorgeousGeorge

GorgeousGeorge PetForums Junior

hi everyone,
    My family recently got a Great Dane cross male called George. We got him from a rescue when he was 6 months old, he has just turned 11months . He was taken to the shelter after someon found him on the streets. He was extremely underweight and weighed about 25kg (he is now 52kg) and was so skinny and all his ribs showing. They presumed he was on the streets for a matter of a month or more. He is a very laid-back, lazy typical Great Dane. However recently we have come across some anxiety issues he has. He is a very confident dog but when walking by dark places he shuts down and shakes. He tries to bolt and then will lay and not get up. We eventually are able to calm him down after about 15 minutes so he will walk passed slowly. He is also petrified of those large sandwich boards that are kept outside shops as advertising. We have a hunch that he may have been dumped on a busy road under a sandwich board or in a dark underground car park, or lived there.

I am just asking for some advice on helping him get over his anxiety around these things. I would rather help him overcome his fears (if possible) so that if we get a surprise of one he will be okay.

Thank you for any advice!
    George and his loving owner x

2. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Personally, I would walk him away from whatever is bothering him so hus anxiety level can drop to a point where you can reassure him and orause him for relaxing.

In the same way if reactive to ither dogs - keep far enough away so he can rekax.

Obviously, you can’t always predict what will scare him but allowing him to get away with you supporting him will build his confidence in general and his trust in you to listen to him and respond accordingly.

Only then can he gradually learn (hopefully) to become less sensitive to these triggers.

Sadly, he may have some deep seated fears from the past. He may not have been ill treated as such, but alone on the streets must be very scary.

Just take things slowly and build on your relationship with him. Avoid the temptation to get him to “face his fears”. Slowly wins the race ;)

GorgeousGeorge likes this.
  3. GorgeousGeorge

GorgeousGeorge PetForums Junior

Thank you very much for responding! I am more looking to help him overcome his fears so that he doesn’t have to worry when encountering them. It is very sweet that as soon as he gets scared and I bend down to reassure him, he sits on my knee. A dog his size sitting on my knee is very hard but its his way of feeling secure so I attempt to hold him up until he calms down. :)

It just makes me upset that some such simple things scare him. Hopefully with time he’ll learn they’re okay, but until then I’ll make sure he always feels safe and secure!

Thank you! :p

Lurcherlad likes this.