Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Anxious dog

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by GabbyL, Feb 23, 2021.

1. GabbyL

GabbyL PetForums Newbie

We got Rogue almost 7 months ago as a rescue and she has been lovely. She has always been a little lead reactive, but over the last few weeks she has become hyper vigilant. Over the last week or so she has shown signs of aggressive anxiety at home - mainly towards Jasper - our other dog an 8 year old labradoodle. The longest this aggression has gone on for is 15 minutes and then Rogue is fine again, but Jasper is clearly nervous afterwards. I’m now beginning to get anxious about leaving them alone which I’m sure doesn’t help. They are only every by themselves 2.30pm-6pm between my husband leaving for work and me coming home and spend the entire time lying on the sofa together. I really want Rogue to have a happy life with us, but I’m worried that the aggression will get worse. I have tried positive reinforcement training, but it doesn’t seem to be working as I hoped. I am thinking I need some behaviouralist help, but don’t know who to turn to to avoid being ripped of or leaving her more stressed. Has anyone any suggestions?

2. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Is Rogue neutered?

3. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

What exactly do you mean by 'aggressive anxiety'?
    When you are out, are they together in the same space with access to each other?

Linda Weasel likes this.
  4. Linda Weasel

Linda Weasel PetForums VIP

As @Burrowzig , how/why have you ‘diagnosed’ this behaviour as ‘aggressive anxiety’ ?

Lurcherlad likes this.
  5. GabbyL

GabbyL PetForums Newbie

No. We are hoping to get that done in the next few weeks. She had her first season end of January. The vets recommended 3 months after

6. GabbyL

GabbyL PetForums Newbie

She starts to growl all of a sudden, her tail drops between her legs and Jasper is clearly scared. When out on walks they are fine together. Both on separate leads. She reacts to other dogs on walks but never Jasper. Most of the day they are very happy together. They sleep on the couch together lie next to eachother on the bed when sleeping and happily eat be next to each other. I wondered if it could be resource guarding also - hence wanting to look at some professional help

7. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

It could be related to hormones so neutering might help.

I wouldn’t leave them together unsupervised just in case it kicks off tbh.

A vet referral to a behaviourist would be best so they can assess the situation and ascertain what the issue is and who uses positive, reward based methods.

Avoid anyone who spouts about pack leader theories.

O2.0 and Linda Weasel like this.
  8. GabbyL

GabbyL PetForums Newbie

It’s so difficult. The issue only occurs when I’m alone with them.. and then for a maximum of 10-15 minutes. Apart from that they are fine. They are always calm when alone and sleep together on the sofa without incident and they are fine when my husband is home with them.
    We are having a pre-neutering consultation with the vet Tuesday next week so I am looking to get some advice then

9. Linda Weasel

Linda Weasel PetForums VIP

Is it possible that you are the ‘resource’ that’s being guarded?

10. GabbyL

GabbyL PetForums Newbie

It had occurred to me. I just don’t know for sure. And that’s why I wanted suggestions of what to do. I know I’ve been very loving regarding her insecurities and I don’t think that has helped ‍♀️

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice