Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Anxious dog

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Jo E, Aug 18, 2018.

1. Jo E

Jo E PetForums Newbie

Hello everyone

I’m hoping somebody could help me. I recently brought a 2 year old bull dog. He is really well behaved a little stubborn as most are. The issue I have is when I take him to new places he gets really anxious starts to pace and pant really heavy. My aim at the moment is to get him comfortable when I take him my parents house which I visit every Sunday. Does anyone have any tips? I don’t want to get to the point where I have to leave him home when I anywhere

Thanks

2. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

How long have you had him?

Being rehomed will have been a big upheaval for him and he doesn’t know you will protect him, so maybe give him some time to settle and get to know you and slowly introduce him to new things.

Jamesgoeswalkies and kimthecat like this.
  3. Jamesgoeswalkies

Jamesgoeswalkies PetForums VIP

If you haven't had him very long then you need to give him time to settle and gets used to you. Work on his training to help you bond and to help him feel more confident. 'Stubborn' simply means you have managed to motivate him - use some delicious treats (try freshly cooked sausage ;)) to reward him when he listens or his favourite toys/games.

Gradually introduce him to 'new places' calmly. Don't try to over face him. Go to quiet places and build his confidence up slowly. If it's people he is anxious of then don't let them touch/pet or crowd him.

You could use some calmatives (from the Pet Shop) for a while or Adaptyl sprayed on a bandana round his neck - this may aid his relaxation whilst you train him. If you take him to your parents house, find him a quiet spot somewhere or settle him near you (on the lead if necessary) and perhaps take him something nice to chew. Just take it all slowly.

J

Lurcherlad likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice