Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

anxious about not doing things right!

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by dizzyb75, Aug 13, 2009.

1. dizzyb75

dizzyb75 PetForums Newbie

my german shepherd puppy is 9 weeks old, toilet training is going well i think, at the moment i am keeping him in our extension which leads out into the garden, he is happy with this and does not whine, he seems to have taken to the idea of having a poo outside (no accidents indoors!) he wees outside too but throughout the day decides to do it indoors as well, however i have been using the nappy pads which he is happy to use but if i move it he will sometimes go back to his preferred spot and wee's with no pad, at night he sleeps upstairs in our bedroom and uses the pads at night, NOW MY DILEMMA, i was wondering whether not to use the pads in the day time and see if he will wee outside and cover his preferred spot with his bed to deter him? please help.
    p.s have decided that we willnot be using a crate.

2. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

I think by using puppy pads, you have taught him that its acceptable to go indoors, hence why he is using the same spot.

Are you physically taking him outside, waiting until he goes and praising him?

3. dizzyb75

dizzyb75 PetForums Newbie

if i am honest no im not, im not trying to make excuses but i also have 3 children (9 and two 5 year olds)that also need constant attention, and as the back door is always open i never really know whether he has been or not, please dont lecture me i know its not right but kids go back to school in 3 weeks which will give me more time to spend with puppy

4. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

I wont lecture, you sound like you have your hands full.

As much as you can, try and take him out. Until he learns that outside is where to go he will have accidents in the house. Also having the door open constantly means he sees no difference between indoors and out.

If you can put up with it for 3 more weeks, then continue as you are doing. Then when you have the free time, spend it teaching him where the appropriate place to go is.

You can try removing the puppy pads and see if it helps. Make sure you clean any areas where he goes with biological washing powder, which will break down the organic matter. Dont use bleach as this will encourage him to pee.

5. Dylan & Daisy

Dylan & Daisy PetForums VIP

I had the same problem with using the pads, it just seemed to encourage my pup to wee in the house where the pads were (he always pooped outside :rolleyes:), so totally stopped using them and put him outside after every meal, sleep and playtime and every hour.

I introduced 'trigger' words eg i used 'hurry up' for a pee and 'quickly' for a poo, whenever he was outside for toileting i'd watch him and when he squat down for a pee, i'd say hurry up continually until he'd finished, then i praise/treat him, same process for poops. After a few days i was able to put him outside and say whichever trigger word i wanted and he would perform the action (poop time is usually the same time every day so it's easy to teach this one because it's so regular). Learning these commands are important as if you were wanting to go out and leave pup at home, you know he'll have done his business before you leave so you don't have to worry about it.

My pup is now nearly 5 months and has been dry at night and using the garden since 10 weeks and i think i've only had 2 'accidents' ever since removing the training pads.

It can be hard work and a little time consuming but well worth it in the end.

6. shazalhasa

shazalhasa PetForums VIP

If the pup goes outside for a poo there is no reason he can't go outside for a pee too ;)

I understand that you have young children too but my daughter was only 7 when I had my first pup and he was toilet trained. Children don't need to be tended to 24 hours a day, there are always times when you can see to the puppy... ie when the kids are watching tv, when they are out playing, when they are asleep. Why can't you involve them with the training, get everyone in the house to help, after all, they will all need to be this puppy's 'pack leader'.

When you catch him peeing inside, grab hold of him, tell him 'NO' and put him outside, stay with him, when he's done the business, tell him what a good boy he is and reward him. GSDs are highly intelligent dogs and training shouldn't take that long.

7. LostGirl

LostGirl PetForums VIP

i know its hard with children and a puppy we managed to train zeb by 15weeks and we dont have a garden so double hard lol my children were 4.5yrs and 3.5yrs old. its not easy but its do able

your children are old enough to understand that after pup has eaten mummy needs 10mins to take him outside for the toilet, every time he wakes up take him out with lots of praise when he does it. I found setting my phone alarm worked really well and i was able to remember to take him out

8. Colliepoodle

Colliepoodle PetForums VIP

Is there any particular reason you don't want to use a crate? It would help a lot, particularly when you're busy with the children and can't watch the puppy. The more he goes inside (puppy pads are a waste of time IMO) the more he will think that THAT is where the toilet is.

I'm not suggesting that you confine him to the crate loads - if it's introduced properly he will love his "den" - but they really are a godsend if you use them in the right way.

9. HighPr00

HighPr00 Banned

I agree. I think a crate would be the perfect solution in this situation.

10. JennieJet

JennieJet PetForums Member

we have a 21 month old lab and our breeder said the best way to toilet train was as soon as they wake up take outside for a wee, as soon as they finish food straight outside, after about half hour / an hour if awake straight outside and do this all the time....( I have 3 young children )....I did this all the time ( touch wood ) she only ever pood inside about twice in the beginning.. We have had much more wee accidents but I hope finally she has grasped it..she is now 5 months and we have not had an accident for weeks ( touch wood ).......just got to take outside and wait for the wee and then loads of praise.......as other people have said the puppy pads are not that great....... just keep taking your puppy out and stay outside with them and then praise when he wees...good luck xxx

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice