Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

ANXIETY MEDICATION GOOD OR BAD??

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by WorriedTabby, Jul 16, 2019.

1. WorriedTabby

WorriedTabby PetForums Junior

i have 3 cats , we just moved to a new house the 1st of July . I’m well aware a move can cause stress for my cats and was watching for the behaviour since I got here. So to make matters worse , I was not here the first day of the move and EVEN MORE WORSE my damn family lost one of my cats. So I’m in full anxiety attack , cursing everyone out and causing chaos because they wanted to be ignorant! 2 weeks pass & thank god to my suprise my cat came back! Anyways the main point is my beautiful black cat jade has been sleeping a lot. She doesn’t seem to be in discomfort just laying down all the time. I don’t blame my poor kitty has been in a stressful situation , her sister got lost and then reappeared when she was adjusting to her not being there and plus this move probably has affected her. I’m taking her to the vet tomorrow just be on the safe side and maybe they might give her anxiety medicine. Ugh this has been a whole mess for my cats and I. I love them a lot and just wanted to rant about this ridiculous situation I’m in but also idk how I feel about anxiety medication for Jade. How will she act I wonder I don’t know if it’s a good idea? What are your thoughts ??

Attached Files:

cheekyscrip likes this.
  2. Bertie'sMum

Bertie'sMum Obedient Cat Slave

Instead of prescription medication you might want to try something like Zylkene- it's a perfectly natural supplement containing casein, a protein in milk which has a calming effect. It's available online from Amazon (amongst others) and a lot of vets also sell it. It's simple to give - just sprinkle the contents of one capsule over their food - most cats seem to like it. It can take a coupleof weeks to be fully effective. If you want something that acts quicker you could try Beaphor calming spot-on which has a much more immediate effect.

huckybuck, chillminx and WorriedTabby like this.
  3. WorriedTabby

She is calm that is the thing , she is not hiding or running around she’s just laying down whenever we sit as a family next to us. So would it be right to make her even calm if she already is calm ???

4. moomoowawa

moomoowawa PetForums Member

Is she still eating and does she play with you if you initiate it?

WorriedTabby likes this.
  5. MilleD

MilleD PetForums VIP

It possibly isn't anxiety. There are whole host of ailments that could cause a cat to be quiet. She could be in pain or various things.

Best you let the vet check before you decide she will be prescribed medications she may not need.

Have you used plug ins such has Pet Remedy to cushion the impact of the move on them?

6. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Sleeping is a method cats use for mentally processing and adapting to major changes in their environment. When new cats come in to the Rescue I help to run, they sometimes do nothing but sleep for days waking only to eat and use their litter trays. Sleeping is very healing and helps them cope with stressful situations. You only moved house about 2 weeks ago, I would give your cat a chance to adjust to her new environment and settle in.

If your cat is hiding, being unresponsive to you when you speak to her or stroke her; or has lost her appetite, or is not using her litter tray as normal, then there would be cause for concern and I would be taking her to the vet today.

Giving her powerful anti-anxiety medicine prescribed by the vet when your cat is not showing any apparent signs of anxiety would be the wrong thing to do. The most I would do is (as Berties Mum and MilleD suggested) is to consider giving her a course of Zylkene (which helps with confidence levels) or run a Pet Remedy diffuser which has a calming effect.

7. Jesthar

Jesthar PetForums VIP

It could be the heat as well. My two are significantly more lethargic than usual - I had to nip home earlier for a mercy food and litter dash for a friend, and had to get the litter out the shed. Both cats were sacked out downstairs, so I was fully expecting to have a fight on my hands to keep them in as I tried to get the bags through the back door - but neither appeared!

I'd second the Pet Remedy diffuser - it works on humans too, which may be helpful for all concerned :)

WorriedTabby, chillminx and MilleD like this.
  8. WorriedTabby

Thanks for the feedback everyone , she is responding when I pet her and eats food ad normal. It’s just a lot of sleeping , initially I thought the same maybe give her some more time to adjust . It’s the starting of week 3 I’m going to keep monitoring her sleeping and maybe I’ll buy her more solo toys to keep her active. I’ll keep the diffuser in mind also, I bought her a new cat bed 1 week ago and she’s made it her territory.

chillminx and moomoowawa like this.
  9. WorriedTabby

No importance but I wanted to show my kitties ! ❤️

Attached Files:

Jaf and Jesthar like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice