Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

anxiety in my dog

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Chatypaty, Jun 27, 2009.

1. Chatypaty

Chatypaty PetForums Newbie

I have a shih tzu and pom mix.. he is two.. we got him when he was about 3 months old.. he is a good dog except for one thing.. he barks at everyone.. and if someone comes to the door or gate..even if he knows them .. he will not stop his loud barking .. its gotten to be too much .. I heard of something called composure for dogs.. has anyone tried this.. he has been neutered.. when he was almost one .. He also will come to you when he needs to go out to do his thing but when you go to put the leash on him or to pick him up he will back away or run away .. this has gotten to be a pain at times.. he is afraid of steps.. I dont know why .. we carry him down the steps to go to the bathroom .. or he will jump off the porch but will not try the steps.. I think he may need a shrink .. any ideas out there for Rocky .. thanks

2. goodvic2

goodvic2 PetForums VIP

Hi. Welcome to the forum.

A dog who barks at people coming to the house is doing it's job. However, once you have thanked the dog or told it to stop, then he should obey. As he is not, there could be a couple of reasons\;

1) He has no faith in you that you are in control and he feels the need to defend himself/you/the home
    2) The behaviour is so ingrained that he doesn;t know what else to do. i.e you tell him no, but what is he meant to do instead?

If it is the first option, then you have a lot of work to do in re-establising yourself as pack leader.

If it is the second option, then what I would do is, when somebody is approaching, put a lead on him and grab a treat. As somebody approaches, stay calm, get him to sit and when he has done that AND not barked, then reward. He will soon catch on that this behaviour is not acceptable.

Wtih regards to the steps...... you have made a rod for your own back. Luckily you don't have a german shepard that is afraid of the steps lol...... Quite possibly when it first happened, rather than making him deal with his fears, you picked him up. This reassured him that there was something wrong, as in his eyes - if the pack leader picked him up and comforted him, then there must be something wrong with those steps.

You need to put the lead on him and introduce him slowly and patiently to walking up and down the steps. Use food as a reward, I wouldn't talk to him as when a dog is under stress they can misinterpret what we say. If you use a reassuring voice at the wrong time then the dog can take it to mean that you are agreeing with their behaviour. You MUST stop carrying him.

Consult a behaviourist if things do not improve.

Good luck x

3. Summer1098

Summer1098 PetForums Senior

Is he properly socialized? If not, you should begin socializing him straight away.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice