Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Anxiety as a pet owner

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by lovebugs94, May 5, 2020.

1. lovebugs94

lovebugs94 PetForums Newbie

Hello,
    I know that this may sound silly but I'm getting really bad anxiety from one of my cats. I have had cats my whole life and when I moved out on my own I brought home 2 cats, a year apart in getting them. The first cat was wonderful and is so calm and I adore her. I knew she was getting a little lonely though so I brought home my second after a year of my oldest being alone. It took some time for them to get used to one another but now they love each other and their relationship is wonderful. However, my youngest is a huge trouble maker and lately, and more increasingly, she has decided to pick at the carpet underneath my door at night while I am sleeping. I have put obstacles in her way and nail caps on her nails but nothing is helping or stopping her from doing that. I generally thought I was discouraging her as much as possible but she just isn't getting it and it's starting to affect my sleep as I am waking up several times each evening because of it and my mental health is taking a nose dive in the mean time. She is about to be a year old and thus I was hoping she would grow out of the kitten phase of getting into everything and causing trouble but she seems to be getting worse as she gets older. I don't want to part with her because she does have her great qualities and my fiancé and I do adore her but this one thing is really driving me crazy.
    Please help!

2. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Would she settle in your room?

3. lovebugs94

Because of how young she is, she still tries to explore the room too much at night while I'm sleeping. She has no interest in it during the day when I can pay attention to her but at night she will pick and snoop in everything. She is also a really needy cat and wants attention all the time and will sit/lay on your face when you are sleeping. That's happened a number of times hence why she isn't allowed in the room at night any longer

4. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

I’ve asked the Mods to move this to the Cat section so you get more responses

lovebugs94 likes this.
  5. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Hello @lovebugs94 and welcome :)

Is your cat spayed?

Scratching is normal behaviour for a cat. They do it to scent mark their territory, they do it to comfort themselves when stressed or anxious, they do it when they want attention from their owner, and they do it when they feel frustrated and bored. It could be any one of those things or more that is causing your cat to scratch so much more than usual.

You need to try and work out why she is scratching, and address that, by providing the kind of environment for her that gives her mental and physical challenges.

Also, provide lots of safe scratching opportunities for her, e.g, upright posts in every room, horizontal scratch pads, several to every room. They are cheap enough to have them all over the home. Replace them as soon as worn. and restring the posts.

Giving her access to your door at night is bound to make her scratch the carpet to get in. She needs a night room of her own where you can have a bedtime routine where she is given a tasty wet supper and you sit quietly with her while she eats, then grooms herself. Once she is settled for sleep then you leave quietly without saying anything to her, and you close her door. Then you go to bed and close your own door. In her night room she should have her food, water and litter trays. And a few toys.

kimthecat likes this.
  6. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

Sorry to hear this. Is it the noise of the scratching keeping you awake? We used to put a mat over the bits where the cats scratched the carpets .

7. lovebugs94

The noise is keeping me awake/waking me up from deep sleep. It's very unsettling. I have used aluminum foil, double sided sticky tape, odors I thought she would find unpleasant.... she just doesn't care. Moves/removes everything and continues like it's her mission.

8. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

perhaps more playtime in the day or early evening would help her settle .

9. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Why can't you shut her in a room of her own at night [like I said], so she has no access to your door? :confused: It is the only way.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice