Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Antisocial ratties

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by DesertRats, May 30, 2010.

1. DesertRats

DesertRats PetForums Newbie

I recently put an extra nest box in our rattie's cage. It is quite high up and near the back, and only has a tiny little entrance. I had the thought that maybe they would appreciate having a hidey-hole that they couldn't be disturbed in. (This is partly because I have young children who adore them, and partly because of an early mix-up which means both ratties are coming to the end of a 3-wk-wait since they were mistakenly left with a male. If we do have rattie babies on the way (please, please no) then they will need a safe, quiet box to have them).

They do have lots of other boxes and dens and hamocks and tunnels and such. This new one though is the only one where my daughter can't get to them though. She adores them and usually has one or both of the girls out with her.

Anyway, since I put it in we never see them! They absolutely love it and spend all their time in a tiny little box. They don't come out to play because we can't get to them to bring them out. We really don't see much of them. I wonder why we spent a fortune on an enormous bird cage full of toys and ladders and nests and stuff when they spend all their time in an old biscuit box!!

It's a cardboard box by the way, and I had thought we'd just chuck it out and replace it when we clean the cage.

So, I am torn. The fact that they spend ALL their time in there means that they love it and it would be mean of me to take it away. It is obviously meeting their rattie needs to be curled up in a tiny black den. But now they spend all their time there we never see them. They sneak out to get food and take it back to the box to eat. We miss them!

Are we horrible owners? Are our ratties hiding away from us? Would it be selfish of me to take the box away? Yesterday one of them didn't come out of the cage at all because every time we opened the door she scuttled into her hidey-box.

They are 9 weeks old.

2. Waterlily

Waterlily Amused

Maybe remove it cos if they do have babies your gonna need to be able to access them in an emergency and to see them. If they are stressed from your child just put a large blanket over there cage for privacy and try and keep kids away at all times unless supervised so the rattys can relax and enjoy there home. Mine have hammocks and castles etc but I can see and also grab them if needed. At nine weeks old they are still bubs themselves and need to build trust up so maybe just place your hand in there and pat them and hold them gently daily :)

#2 Waterlily, May 30, 2010
    Last edited: May 30, 2010
  3. DesertRats

DesertRats PetForums Newbie

Well I got rid of the box when I cleaned out today. They have moved back into their hanging basket (full of fleece scraps) and seem quite happy. I replaced the box with a high shelf so they can still avoid my daughter if they wish, but I can get to them if I need to.

We had the girls out for most of the morning. It is nice to see them again!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice