Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Antibiotics and Probiotic support

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Irish Setter Gal, Jul 8, 2011.

1. Irish Setter Gal

Irish Setter Gal PetForums Senior

After a trip to the vets today I now have both my dogs on antibiotics (different complaints)

My question is: it is recommended that humans take a probiotic supplement to assist the body return to 'internal balance' (good bacteria) - is there something that is suggested as equally being good for dogs, or is this totally unnecessary?

2. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

It's exactly the same for them. AB's strip all the good bacteria from the gut. A bit of cottage cheese, natural yogurt or yakult/actimel type drinks will help or you can go for a specific supplement like Bionic Biotics etc.

3. XxZoexX

XxZoexX PetForums VIP

Have no clue regarding antibiotics sorry :eek:
    but Jack loves Probiotic yoghurt He goes mad for his :lol:

4. ever expanding

ever expanding PetForums Senior

as mum2heidi said i agree it will certainly do no harm they can sometimes end up with a bit of an upset belly on antibs so prob do some good

5. Cockerpoo lover

Cockerpoo lover PetForums VIP

Mine have a big dollop of natural yoghurt on their food- they love it.

I just buy Sainsbury's basic value and they have two big tubs a week between them.

6. Irish Setter Gal

Irish Setter Gal PetForums Senior

Thanks for the advice, yet another thing for hubby to remember to do for their morning feed (he does that one)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice