Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Anti depressants

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by ColliePower, Jul 16, 2009.

1. ColliePower

ColliePower PetForums Senior

Hi all...

Please tell me if this is a subject I shouldn't have opened.

I am just wondering how many ppl are on or have beenon anti d's and how much have they helped you?

Ive been on them for 5 yrs. They're not a "happy pill" and the stigma attached is ridiculous.

They dont make problems go away they just help the chemical inbalance in your brain (so the Dr says!)

But I am not embarrased or ashamed to be on tablets they help me get out of bed every morning and cope with severe mood swings and other emotional issues I suffer from.

2. Dingle

Dingle PetForums VIP

Hey good for you i wish you well :)

Personally never had owt like that but i know of a few folk that probably wouldn't be alive now if it wern't for being prescribed anti D's

:)

3. animallover111

Hi im sure nobody will mind you starting the thread......we had one not long ago about OCD....i think it helps chatting to others who are in the same boat.....im not actually depressed but i do take Citalopram to help with my OCD.....as its supposed to keep me level and not let my OCD take over....to be honest i have been on them years and cant remember how i was without them.....its def not anything to be ashamed of.....:)

4. Marcia

Marcia PetForums VIP

I've been offered them from my GP but i have always refused.

I'm a very stubborn person and i wanted to achieve happiness all by myself. But now i am considering going on anti d's because my depression has got worse over the last couple of weeks :(

5. Savahl

Savahl Guest

I have been on them for 2 reasons, one because i have mild M.E; but all they did was make me not care that i felt exhausted constantly.... and secondly because i suffer anxiety. They do calm things down abit in times of stress and allow me to function in stressful situations which would previously have resulted in me being a hyperventilating tearful wreck!!!

6. ColliePower

You can achieve happiness by yourself hun, the pills dont "make you happy" , they (well for me anyway) keep me level, I still have my up and downs like anyone else........but they stablilse me.....and im happy about that without them i was a emotional mess :(

Im on Citalopram too!! so is my mum....always found them to be ever so good.

7. ColliePower

Thats EXACTLY what they do to me!
    Keep me calm (not all the time!) but before I was on them i couldnt control my anger or emotions at all!!!!!!!

8. Marcia

Marcia PetForums VIP

I'm all too familiar with not being able to control my anger :(
    Most of the time, i lash out at my OH for really petty things. I always feel so bad afterwards, it's a good job that he's a depression sufferer too, so i know he totally understands :)

I also get those days where i randomly feel like crying, for no reason at all :(

9. SeaThreePeeO

SeaThreePeeO PetForums VIP

I was prescribed anti d's due to post natal depression. Only trouble was I could never remember to take them with a small baby to look after.

I have taken herbal remedies for stress, but again I would take them for a few days and then forget.

10. Savahl

Savahl Guest

thats what the beta blockers were for ;) i had citrlopram too! My issues werent for anger, i rarely get angry really (which drives my oh nuts) but just cos i cant deal with stress at all, i shake, cry, cant breathe... and it is totally irrational! which frustrates me more and upsets me more. I could start crying cos i dropped a spoon in times of extreme stress lol - now i only get like that at the right time of the month...but a few days beats most of the time.

11. Nicci

Nicci Guest

My Hubby has to take Citalopram because of mood swings brought on by brain overactivity, basically the Citalopram top up levels in his brain causing the overactivity.
    They've helped him a great deal, but they are causing him to have whopping headaches, been to the doctors with him many times but there is nothing else that they can prescribe for his condition other than sedatives and anti psychotic drugs, which he would refuse to take.

12. ColliePower

I get those ALOT!

I just bawl my eyes out, and sometimes its for hrs

Also, my anger ive lashed out and shouted at him for an hour solid before, for not emptying the bin!!!!!!!!!

We all argue with out O/H's about silly things, but you know you have a problem when things like that happen

My fiance also suffers from depression and is on same tablets as me but a higher dosage, as when he had a car accident he had 3 yrs off work then changed careers and now earns 15k a yr less as he cannot do manual labour anymore, therefore money problems arise etc etc and you know how it is......

but along with support from my family, tablets and help from the dr, ive now been able to work for the past 3 yrs and gain confidence motivation and smile more..........well a little more...but its coming

13. ColliePower

Citalopram calms me down (aswell as my doing it a bit by myself) so much and I also get bad headaches but now I take a slighty higher dosage that has helped

14. kath123

kath123 Guest

I was prescribed them last year when i was going through an awful time in my life that i never ever want to go through again and at the time it did help me.

But i have always wanted to "not take them" as was too scared that i wouldnt be able to come off them and have to rely on them everyday, but after a few months i came off them and was absolutely fine.

And now my life is so much better so dont need them.

But if you ever feel you do then please go to the doctor it is nothing to be ashamed about.
    xx

15. ColliePower

Thanks Kath :)

I would love to not have to take them, im sure many ppl would.

Doctor has tried to cut me down many times gradually but ive always reacted really badly and got really poorly

So yes id love to be off them one day but if im not...i see it like a tablet for a headache or stomach ache, its just a pill it wont rule my life..but it DOES help me through each day, and that I am grateful for

16. kath123

kath123 Guest

Yes hun totally agree with you, if you had put this post up before i had taken the anti depressants i would of said, "You will be stuck on them for life" but now i have experienced taking them i was so wrong thinking that, and all the stigmar behind them is utter crap!!!

Sending you a big hug xxxx

17. ColliePower

and a *big hug* back to you hun!!!!!!!!!!!!

So true....one day who knows I may be off them

But i dont mind im just happy being me again........:)

I just am trying to smile every day, its hard, since losing my dad last yr I thought Id crash again, but I havent im staying strong from my family and wont let myself go back into that "black hole" i was in when i miscarried 4 yrs ago that started off my problems.

18. kath123

kath123 Guest

GOOD FOR YOU HUN!!! KEEP BEING POSITIVE!!! xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx :D:D:D

19. ColliePower

I try i really do...................

Thanks mate!
    xxxxxxxxxxx

20. Natik

Natik PetForums VIP

i have been described them by my last GP as i also suffer from anxiety disorder.... well, after taking one pill i ended up 5 times at the emergency doctors and my husband lost his job.... so even though i should maybe take some i refuse to due to this experience ....

... i push through with life without them so far and its an everyday fight but i dont give up and at least im double as proud at myself when i achieved something hehe :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice