Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

ANTI BITE GLOVES - 2

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by sara1953, Oct 3, 2020.

1. sara1953

sara1953 PetForums Junior

My apologies for not replying to all the replies but I never got an email saying I actually HAD REPLIES. But thank you.

To clear up. I'm still afraid of picking my now 6month old puppy up because his reaction that night to being disturbed was so damned quick. The bite hurt like hell. It actually bled all night. He is a yorkie poo. That night he was asleep beside me on the sofa. I couldn't find the remote for the TV. I put one hand on him & moved him a bit so I could get down the cushion gap he was half lying on. I made a right old noise. I was so hurt & so shocked. My pup knew I was angry, he sleeps in the kitchen at night & next morning there was no bounding up to me, no excitement. I was quiet too. No eye contact, no talk, nothing. So that's why I enquired about gloves. He gets scared easily, if a twig blows near him unexpectedly whilst on a park walk he jumps. If there's a little unexpected movement in bushes where its very quiet he'll jump. He freaked out (like a scream) the other night thinking someone/something was coming towards the open patio doors. I let him mouth when he's playing. I don't know if that's good or bad but it's to make me a bit braver with his very sharp teeth & also to get him used to having a finger teeth clean.

2. sara1953

This is Scooby. I love him to bits but that bite has genuinely frightened me because of the speed it happened.

Attached Files:

3. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

Did you read any of the replies on your other thread? There were some helpful tips, and explanation of dog's signals that they're not comfortable, and two videos of exercises you can do to help your dog be more comfortable with handling.

I'd get that bite looked at, dog bites can get infected easily.

4. sara1953

Thanks, yes I have done. And the bite has now healed.

5. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

I would advise against this. It's quite easy for a puppy to go over threshhold while playing.
    I would also advise using a baby toothbrush for tooth brushing. Don't expect too much co-operation at first though :) it's more a case of gettng him used to the feel of it.

Lurcherlad and sara1953 like this.
  6. sara1953

7. sara1953

What is the best way to stop him? He's ALWAYS got his mouth open. Every time he plays & jumps his mouth is open.

8. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

Not all dogs like been pick up. We had jack Russell when I was in my teens, you could only fuss and pick him up on his terms. Never the nice cuddly dog we had hope for but a lovely happy dog that would play with you for hours lie by your feet and sometimes jumps up on your lap.

9. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

You should find some useful tips in this thread.
    https://www.petforums.co.uk/threads/help-with-a-nipping-pup.45772/
    Even if he isn't actually nipping the advice re mouthing still applies, as in redirecting to a toy and withdrawing attention.
    The sqealing can just ramp them up more.

sara1953 likes this.
  10. sara1953

Yes, that is exactly the type of little dog I wanted too. To cuddle and let him know how much I love him. I've got a feeling he'll be like yours, only picked up on his terms.

11. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

I know you must feel a bit disappointed but my dogs Tango (RIP 2018) and Bobby, 8yrs old, weren't/aren't keen on being picked up but are/were very loving in other ways. Reena always wants picking up ! She's my velcro dog !

LinznMilly and sara1953 like this.
  12. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

My dogs would really dislike being picked up. If they want to come on a lap they jump up. If I need them to move I tell them to. They are picked up to be bathed and clipped so maybe once a month. I really cannot think of any other reason I would have to pick them up.

I would not let a dog play by mouthing hands, not a safe game at all.

LittleMow, sara1953 and Lurcherlad like this.
  13. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

Sounds like you might just have to alter your expectations a little bit. One of mine sounds like your puppy TBH, she is super nervous and jumps at any tiny noise, isnt keen on being picked up or hugged, and I have to be careful about what I do around her as she does snap when she's nervous (although I know she doesnt want to bite and tries not to...its just a reflex).
    Ive just learned to stroke her on the floor or on the bed where she can run away if she wants, also we go to the vets for things like nail cutting coz Im not allowed to do that either!:rolleyes:

Personally I would keep working on bite inhibition and try and work out what kind of handling your dog accepts (obviously you need to be able to pick them up, look at their paws, mouth,etc but cuddles might be a no go). When you got bitten it might have just been a case of waking up a very nervous dog suddenly (they might even have been in the middle of a bad dream!).

14. sara1953

15. sara1953

Yes I'm finally accepting that I startled a very nervous puppy. I'm noticing more and more just how easily he gets frightened. At the moment he's asleep on the sofa next to me with his head in my lap. Lovely.

Happy Paws2 likes this.
  16. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

I think you have to accept that any dog with terrier in it is going to be quite independent and fiesty. If you do something they don't like, they won't be backwards in coming forward to let you know.
    Also, with any dog, best to teach that teeth on human skin is NEVER acceptable, so no mouthing in play.

sara1953 likes this.
  17. sara1953

Actually, now he's getting a little bit older his mouthing is slowly getting less teeth and more soft mouth.

18. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

Penny likes being picked up, which is surprising because her first experience being picked up by me was forceful, very frightening for her and basically an abduction :eek: She did bite me, but she has fabulous bite inhibition - which is a good thing because she's still bitey in play.

Even when she's too busy to be picked up, she'll tolerate being picked up, and then once she's up there she'll let you know she wants down by being squirmy. 9 times out of 10 I'll put her back down, but sometimes she needs to remain restrained and I just tell her I'm not putting her down just then and she's fine.

I'm a huge believer in practicing handling, consentual handling, and building positive associations. I think that has a lot to do with it with Penny, but I also think she naturally likes to be elevated. I don't pick her up to put her in my lap, I generally pick her up when I'm already standing, and she gets to see everything from higher up which she likes.

It's just so freakin' convenient to pick up a small dog for so many things!
    Trim nails? Pick her up.
    Walking across a busy parking lot with hot pavement? Pick her up.
    Worried about the person coming up to you and about to get barky about it? Pick her up.
    Coyote just ran across the path and in to the woods? Pick her up and run home LOL!

19. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

Some dogs just do. Ive lost count of the amount of times Ive had to stand in my garden with Hannah practically sat on my shoulder so she can see over the garden fence! even when Im holding her she squirms around until she is on her back like a baby then flops her head down til she can can be watching the world upside down.
    In contrast Heidi doesnt like being picked up...she will let you but you can see it makes her uncomfortable and she has a fear of falling or being dropped.

I suppose its like people....some are afraid of heights and others arent!:D

Ellie&cats and LinznMilly like this.
  20. Sarah H

Sarah H Grand Empress of the Universe

I'm currently watching Denise Fenzi talk about puppies (it's about high drive puppies but some of this will work for you too). If you can teach her to hold a toy in her mouth. Not only does it stop biting, but it is calming. Pick a toy she likes and build the value for it. Get her to search for it and put that search on cue (e.g. "find it"!) and almost get the toy hold as an automatic behaviour when she's worried.
    I'd also just generally build her confidence by getting her to eat out of noise boxes, knocking over bottles etc.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice