Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Anti bark collars

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by gilly145, Aug 11, 2009.

1. gilly145

gilly145 PetForums Member

Hiya

We have a little barker in Charlie, and unfortunately his bark is just too loud!! I decided to try one of the citronella collars which seem to work for most people and are quite harmless. However, while looking online for one we found a bark control collar that gives a high pitched sound rather than a spray and just wondered what peoples thoughts would be to this.

Its much cheaper than the spray collars and I'm not sure whether to try this first.

Can anyone advise whether this would be a better option or should I stick with trying the spray collar.

Many thanks

Gillian
    x

2. Colsy

Colsy Banned

Hiya

I would go for the citronella collar.
    I have one for one of my collies,bad Mummy i am.:eek:
    But it does work :) i do not even need to put it on him now just wave it in the air.
    He see's me coming with it and shuts up.
    I bought mine off ebay much cheaper.
    Have you tried the corrector spray from Pets At Home?
    Maybe worth a go perhaps.

3. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

I bought both a bark collar with citronella spray and a remote collar with beeps and a spray for Dixie, as before we moved she was bad for barking in the garden.
    However, she managed to break the bark collar! No idea how, probably rolling around and knocked it. Because I bought it off ebay and it was 2nd hand there was no guarantee so I lost £30. So if you do get one, make sure it brand new in box with guarantee!

x

4. alphadog

alphadog PetForums VIP

Is he barking when you are there, or after you have left?

There are lots of ways to train your dog not to bark without using a collar (spray or sonic). Using a collar to prevent barking can cause other complications and really you are only teaching him that barking provokes an unpleasant reaction from an unkown source. He doesn't understand why he is being punished and to him barking is totally natural (defending his territory, calling his pack mates, being demanding etc).

What training have you tried with him?

5. TabbyRoad

TabbyRoad Banned

Please have a look online for places that rent out the bark collars. I could SWEAR I came across a website that rented them out.

We have a spray collar for Mabel and only used it 3 times but we have started using it again for the last few days as there are tree surgeons working on the trees at the back of the house and she is less than impressed with them making so much noise. Why she thinks barking and adding to the noise helps matters I will never know.

6. kendal

kendal PetForums Senior

dose it atill work even with mables beard. im thinking of getting one but i dont know if their beard would get in the way.

7. TabbyRoad

TabbyRoad Banned

It really does. The receiver part is at the bottom so the fur doesn't get in the way, even Mabel's which is like wool.

Nobody prepares you for the horrible feelings of guilt putting it on though :( and it doesn't get any easier with time. I feel like the worst dogparent ever when I put it on, especially when she thinks it's her walkies collar and runs to the door all excited. Heartbreaking, although I think she knows she too cute for words and is just messing with my head.

And if that isn't bad enough, the look of absolute horror on her face the first time it went off was enough to almost make me turn myself into the RSPCA!

I would recommend getting the neutral scent though. We went for citronella and it stays on her fur for quite some time which upsets her a bit. Aboistop do neutral, citronella and mustard (!).

8. cassie01

cassie01 PetForums VIP

i wouldnt recomend using one of these unless you have no other choice at all, iv seen them do a lot more harm then good. Ive known dogs to get aggressive after using these or developing other problems or getting seriously depressed, there are other ways, try these first

9. marianne

marianne PetForums Member

I have used the citonella collar. It didn't work for Samson, but it did work for my husband!! Every time he'd come home from work, Samson would bark and carry on, Ron would bend down to pet him and get sprayed!! I thought it was funny, but of course he didn't! That was just a trying out stage.
    We bought a battery operated one and that worked great. Only used it a couple of times outside and all I have to do now is either show it to him or ask him if he wants the collar. I've actually put it on him when the neighbors had company without the battery in it and it worked.
    I know it sounds horrible to use one, but it really does work and for us we don't have to put it on him anymore.

10. TabbyRoad

TabbyRoad Banned

I agree with that but it depends on the type of barking. Mabel was nuisance barking. Our house is spread over 4 floors and we mainly live on the 2nd floor. From the window in the lounge she can see into the park and can see the other dogs that were being walked. She was barking to get their attention, as in "hey, you there, I live at number XX, call in for me and I'll show you how to use that tennis ball properly". This was not stress/anxiety barking which I do agree, can be worsened by spray collars.

We put it on her 3 times and it worked perfectly. She now sits and watches them acting as if she is never let out of the house ever and is a long term prisoner :rolleyes:

11. cassie01

cassie01 PetForums VIP

exactly but if a dog is barking through fear or anxiety it may just make the problem worse, i would never recomend using one unless there was no alternative and the source of the barking should be issued first

12. TabbyRoad

TabbyRoad Banned

As I already said, I agree.

13. Tula

Tula PetForums Member

I find it easier to train the dog to behave in the desired way. All of mine speak on command as ive taught them the exercise.. one in particular was a pest barking so teaching her to speak was great as once she'd got that I could teach her to stop. If she barks in that manic way now I only have to say 'enough' and she'll stop;)

14. cassie01

cassie01 PetForums VIP

i have found that method very effective too, you wouldnt think it really but it does work wonders!!

15. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

We used one on William as he barked for the sake of barking. The first we tried was an ultra sonic one. He broke it in a week his bark is so loud he couldn't hear it go of. We then tried a spray one it worked for 2 days then he discovered that if he barked enough he could empty the conrainer and then it didn't go of.

16. Savahl

Savahl Guest

LOL what a clever pup.

We tried the beep one on buster. the beep made him bark :rolleyes:

We found success with the "speak" and "enough" technique too :)

17. westie~ma

westie~ma ~ In my shed ~
    Staff Member

I took Monty to dog training classes. It was our first one and he was so excited to meet all the other dogs that he was barking. Of course I understand this is no good when people want to hear what is being said and have paid to learn but instead of allowing me to calm Monty down and settle him, the teacher wanted to put one of these collars on him as a quick fix solution.

I refused to let her put it on him. I told her that he will settle in 5 minutes and to give him time. I know my dog and he did settle in less than 5 minutes and if she had pushed the point I would have left the class.

He does bark to let me know someone is walking past the house, that's his job ;) I've taught Monty to speak and also "no yapping" which is used when he is needlessly barking. If he refuses to listen when he is outside in the garden then I tell him "in" and he is brought back into the house.

18. Colsy

Colsy Banned

I found the anti bark collar with the spray really helpful.
    I was actually worried that the neighbours might complain after my dog barked a few times.
    i think whatever works best for you and the dog.

19. Patterdale_lover

Patterdale_lover PetForums VIP

I have never used a collar on any of the dogs who bark.
    There is always a way of training them
    When they start in the kennels barking (and thats is a lot of dogs, with big barks) we say "Quiet" in a really gruff and loud voice. Soon calms them down :)
    With Bess she barks when people knock on the door, walk pas the house and come in the house. So i just touch her and say "quiet" and she is, she sulks in the corner but hey :rolleyes:
    I even trained my deaf dog the command not to bark. When he gets exctied he communicates by barking. I put my finger to my lips and he shuts up :D
    There is always a way to train them. No need to get a collar. If i can do it with a deaf stubborn old dog, you can do it with yours :D

westie~ma likes this.
  20. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

I think that way is much better than spraying a dog in the face, and spraying does not always work anyway.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice