Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Ant invasion

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by sue&harvey, May 18, 2010.

1. sue&harvey

sue&harvey PetForums VIP

Anyone with any ideas please. Over the last few months I have tried everything I can think of to stop the ants getting at Harvey's food. I mop daily, with disinfectant and ammonia let it dry the put neat ammonia arround the edges of the room and let it dry. obviously I can't use powder, the traps don't work, and I dont like to spray as when he does eat he drops it on the floor and licks around his bowl. We raise Kitty's food but they have even got to that.

I can't keep taking his food up as we are having a battle over him not eating. He is a grazer and as I said on a previous thread I don't want him loosing weight. It doesn't matter if it just biscuits or when I put raw in, they seem to be watching and waiting.

Ideas please

2. rona

rona Guest

Are they coming from outside?

3. sue&harvey

sue&harvey PetForums VIP

It's a bit difficult to pin point where they are coming from, they do come under the back door, but have seen them coming from the plug sockets :scared:

4. rona

rona Guest

I had this problem a few years ago, I gave them a better food source outside.
    Little dollop of jam covered so the dogs couldn't get it :D

5. sue&harvey

sue&harvey PetForums VIP

I hadn't thought of that, :rolleyes: will give it a go, cheers Rona :thumbup:

6. rona

rona Guest

I liked it because you don't have to kill them :D

7. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

Get a raised feeding bowl, and put the stand it goes in into a water-filled container like a cat litter tray. Ants won't cross the water. Or you could put the food bowl straight into the middle of the water if it's heavy enough not to float when empty.

8. shazalhasa

shazalhasa PetForums VIP

I can't stand ants !!!!

Where I live, the earth is very sandy and ants nests keep cropping up all over the place and around the house. Year before last I had them coming in under the window sill so I solved that problem by filling the crack with caulk. Last year was bliss... no ants ! Now this year, they're back !! Little smart arses have now started using the back door and crawl up the cupboards to get to my work surfaces :scared:

Not sure if it's related but I've got a few ant holes in my front garden and a couple of weeks ago I spotted a dip in my paving with a little hole in the middle, when I looked into the little hole, there was no earth underneath just an empty space about 10 inches deep and a foot wide :confused1: I'm baffled ??

9. sue&harvey

sue&harvey PetForums VIP

:lol::lol::lol:
    As for the water trick may work but his bowl isn't that heavy. Will try the jam trick, then failing that, will try the water one.
    Thanks all :)

10. kendal

kendal PetForums Senior

my friens is having the same problem, but she cant work out where they are coming from. she is terafied to put anything down incase it makes her Lab sick

i will mention the jam thing to her, my stepdad said somthing about pepper but i dont know if that works or not.

11. sue&harvey

sue&harvey PetForums VIP

May be worth trying the ammonia thing. Along as the animals cant get to the area until it is completly dried it's ok. Oh and ventilate the room well, :arf: but the smell goes quickly.

12. moboyd

moboyd PetForums VIP

Every year we get invaded, they drive me mad, have tried everything, but a friend told me that clove oil in water poured in the nest or around frames where they are coming in is a definate success as far as she is concerned, at the moment we dont have a problem but if they start invading I will be trying that.

mo

13. sue&harvey

sue&harvey PetForums VIP

My neighbour said this to me a min ago, will try anything at the moment :thumbup:

14. apexblue

apexblue PetForums Junior

Baby Talc! They don't like the feel of it on their legs. We had an invasion coming in from under the dishwasher and they disappeared overnight. Then directly outside the patio door and sprinkled talc all along the entrance and they immediately found a new home.

EVERY TIME THIS CLICK IS PLAYED £1 IS DONATED TO HOMELESS DOGS YouTube - wearefordogs's Channel
    PLEASE CLICK THIS LINK.

#14 apexblue, May 19, 2010
    Last edited: May 19, 2010
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice