Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Another video - recall tips

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by O2.0, Nov 24, 2021 at 8:35 PM.

1. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

I promise I'm going to get to the reactivity video too :)

Sarah H, Arny, Teddy-dog and 3 others like this.
  2. ForestWomble

ForestWomble PetForums VIP

Great video again.
    I've subscribed to your channel :)

cbcdesign and O2.0 like this.
  3. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

Thank you! I'll work on getting something together for reactivity when you can't get away.
    Now that I have a better idea how to play with iMovie on my phone, it's not hard to get some videos up with voiceover.
    It's thanksgiving week here, so hoping to get out with another set of hands to video if Penny decides to react. Watch her be an angel every outing though :Hilarious

ForestWomble likes this.
  4. Sairy

Sairy PetForums VIP

Fab, love it! I think I might already be subscribed to you, but will check

O2.0 likes this.
  5. cbcdesign

cbcdesign PetForums VIP

Subscribed. Great tips and I like the idea of making the critter hunting thing something both dog and handler do together. That would not have occurred to me.

O2.0 likes this.
  6. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

That's stolen from a great book - Hunting Together by Simone Mueller. Great tips in there for dogs who are likely to take off 'hunting' and ignore you.

I remember my grandfather's hunting beagles all had good recall, and then later in life I was told beagles have terrible recall and it just didn't compute because grandpa's beagles always came to him, or at least changed course towards him. It's taken me all this time to fully piece together why his beagles came - he was a partner in the hunt with them.
    I don't actually 'hunt' with Penny but I do point out critters she can chase, and holes she can explore, and I think it really does make a difference. She knows that when I call her, it's usually for something she's going to find interesting.

Sometimes I still can't quite believe she has as good a recall as she does considering how we started out.

cbcdesign likes this.
  7. Teddy-dog

Teddy-dog PetForums VIP

Love it! I love the last tip soo much and I’m going to try and incorporate that into walks with Ted as he loves critter hunting and I’m sure a lot of people on here know my troubles with him (though he has chilled out a bit).

another fab video!

O2.0 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice