Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Another thread about choosing insurance for a puppy

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by neuvilla, May 9, 2017.

1. neuvilla

neuvilla PetForums Junior

Our free KC insurance is about to run out, and we're not looking at insurance for our golden retriever puppy.

Everyone seems to say PetPlan. Our quote is about £43 a month for the lifetime £7,000 cover.

I've also printed out the policy docs for Animal Friends and M&S and will read through them, but a quick glance seems to suggest their equivalent policies are cheaper, about £35.

But I've read lots of people saying its only PetPlan that don't put premiums up when you claim. Does anyone have experience of their non-PetPlan insurer not doing this? If so, which one are you with? The other thing people say is that PetPlan don't really increase their premiums each year, whereas others, I think a few years ago, did and by quite a lot.

So basically, I'm wondering whether it's best just to go with PetPlan or if there is a better option?

Thanks anyone who can give me some advice.

2. bogdog

bogdog PetForums Senior

Go with PetPlan. The terms are set out in clear English telling you exactly what they will and won't pay for. Vets are happy to do direct claims, PP pay out quickly.

3. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

I did small claims with my old insurer, and by small claim £350 which considering my full amount was £7500 that was small. The following years the insurance kept going up and up...which when I did change and they explained it was due to my claim PetPlan was cheaper.

Luckily for me no other claims, and PetPlan has stated the colitis claim for £350 is no longer a pre existing condition because it was that longer ago.

I am lucky, changing with no other pre existing conditions but you can't predict the future and I really wish I had bitten the bullet sooner.

Pet Plan has just paid out over £3000 for one of my dogs I had literally just taken out the policy, although was just in the correct terms for him to be covered. I believe everyone that says premiums do not increase...i dread to think on my old policy underwritten by RCA how much my repayments would be.

If you get a quote online, PetPlan usually honors it, and multipet discount is clear and concise too.

4. neuvilla

neuvilla PetForums Junior

Many thanks both. We went for Petplan in the end.

lullabydream likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice