Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

another stupid owner

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by bumbarrel, Oct 30, 2019.

1. bumbarrel

bumbarrel PetForums Senior

Daughter took her 2 Dandies to be groomed yesterday (representing breed at Pet Show on Sunday).
    Difficult place to park so quick stop at the curb to pick up at end of day.

She has a double - crash tested - dog crate in her car. Getting dogs in when a couple with a Cavapoo stop behind her with their dog for groomer. No restraints, guard etc in their car.

Male owner then rants at DD that her crate is 'cruel' and she is making her dogs 'very unhappy'.

Unfortunately she was so taken aback and in such a hurry that no suitable retort was forthcoming.

Rant over!

2. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

Numpties everywhere!

I always feel that females get more of a hard time to be honest.. I have had many a poo police lecture me when one of my bitches have urinated. Not once have my OH or my sons had anyone say this to them!

Sarah H, Calvine, LinznMilly and 3 others like this.
  3. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Bloke was a jerk.

bumbarrel likes this.
  4. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

How silly, it was none of his business just as it is no one else's business whether he uses a restraint.

5. mrs phas

mrs phas karma is a funny old thing

Except that it is fineable now, well always has been, but insurances and police are cracking down now
    It invalidates insurance and is, apparently, fineable up to £5000
    So whilst it's maybe not the GBP business, its certainly unwise and unlawful

6. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

Can you show me that law. Never seen it, it is just an advisory in the highway code as far as I know. I do not think I have ever seen a restrained dog in a car where I live.

7. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

all I can find is that daft article from the Sun quoting the advisory from the highway code which is most definitely not law. Presumably if the dogs behaviour in the car caused the accident then you would be liable but surely no different to any other distraction like eating or drinking while you are driving. Or legally using a hands free phone.

lullabydream likes this.
  8. StormyThai

StormyThai Moderator
    Staff Member

Your right, in the eyes of the law it isn't any different...you can receive a fine for eating, drinking, smoking and have an unrestrained dog in the car.
    Driving without the dog restrained WILL invalidate your insurance if you have an accident so technically you could argue the law is driving a car without insurance...either way, law or no law, I think driving with an unrestrained dog is irresponsible!

9. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

But it is not the law so people stating it is are not correct. I will check with my insurance company but I doubt if it invalidates it. My dogs just have a hammock on the back seat. My past dogs were behind a dog guard but they are not restrained. I really have not seen many dogs anywhere I have gone that have any restraint.

10. StormyThai

StormyThai Moderator
    Staff Member

Breaking the law...breaking the highway code...potato...potatoe
    There are rules in the highway code that are law...driving with distractions is one of those laws so it will invalidate your insurance if it is prooved that the dog was loose in the car at the time of an accident.
    Very few people will receive a fine because it isn't something that gets policed...unless something goes wrong :)

FWIW a dog guard is classed as restrained because they can't distract you while driving :)

Sarah H likes this.
  11. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

No there is a difference. The highway code differentiates clearly between advice and law. It annoys me when people on here say things are law when they clearly are not.

12. StormyThai

StormyThai Moderator
    Staff Member

Yes it does, as I explained in my post that you quoted.

13. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

14. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

If your dog is misbehaving in the car or if a passenger is that is fair enough. There are lots of things you can be done for careless driving that are not in themselves against the law. But it is totally wrong to give out misinformation and say that it is against the law to have an unrestrained dog when it clearly is not.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice