UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before moving i managed to catch all the strays round me and have them rehomed. Since moving to where i am now there are hardly any animals around. I live in a mainly muslim and sikh area and they dont seem to have many if any pets. There are however 3 strays, i have knocked on doors all over trying to find owners, put posters up, even asked the local shops to translate them for me to arabic ect. They are 2 ginger cats and a black and white one. I have been building up their trust for a few weeks and they now sit in the garden waiting for food. 1 will let me stroke him (most deffinatly a boy) 1 will run away if i approach still and the other will let me pick him up. I have been really worried about one for a couple of days, he looks to be pretty old. His legs, stomache and tail is always black, seemingly because he is sleeping in the wet and dirt. Today when i just went out they were there and i picked the old boy up for a cuddle and his eye had green gunk coming out of it and is very cloudy. He isnt chipped, i have borrowed a scanner from work and scanned him and the other ginger one before (will do the black and white when he trusts me more) I have him currently in the bathroom, he is very skiny and it may be down to malnourishment but i cant risk my cats catching anything. My vet has said his eye isnt an emergancy and to take him tomorrow. I have been waiting for my old boss to tell me that they have a pen available but i have rang her and told her that its an emergancy so i can take him in tomorrow.

I just sat on the bathroom floor and cried. He looks so pitiful, the few teeth he has are all bleeding and pussy. He eats like he has never had a meal.

I feel so bad for the poor soul

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
A big :thumbsup: for looking out for them, especially Ginger. Hopefully the vet will be able to help him tomorrow.

There's a black cat who appeared in my garden a few weeks ago who I'm almost sure must be a stray. He doesn't seem very old and while I can't be certain, I suspect he has problems with his hind legs/hip joints as he struggles to climb the same low-ish fence all the other local cats manage to scale with one easy jump.

I've been giving him the odd bit of food, at least throwing it to him or leaving it out as there's no chance of my getting near him. I think he might well be using the box in my shed at night so he has somewhere warm and dry to sleep and it wouldn't surprise me to find he's been using the flap at silly o'clock as he's seen my lot use it and it's open 24/7.

The amount of strays, or just plain neglected, cats round here beggars belief.

Ian

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Do you think he will get a home? He looks so despondent, bless him.
They are brill at matching cats to homes, they usually have the older ones living out in reception. That way they get used to hustle and bustle and people tend to notice them more if they arent in pens. He has had 2 bowls of sp food, its nice and soft for his mouth. The pictures dont show how bad he is. I can feel every bone in his body. I am just hoping he isnt FiV positive :( Just went to check on him and he was sat on the window sill.

A big :thumbsup: for looking out for them, especially Ginger. Hopefully the vet will be able to help him tomorrow.

There's a black cat who appeared in my garden a few weeks ago who I'm almost sure must be a stray. He doesn't seem very old and while I can't be certain, I suspect he has problems with his hind legs/hip joints as he struggles to climb the same low-ish fence all the other local cats manage to scale with one easy jump.

I've been giving him the odd bit of food, at least throwing it to him or leaving it out as there's no chance of my getting near him. I think he might well be using the box in my shed at night so he has somewhere warm and dry to sleep and it wouldn't surprise me to find he's been using the flap at silly o'clock as he's seen my lot use it and it's open 24/7.

Ian
It makes me so mad. The ones round here are few but this old boy has very obviously been fending for himself for a long time, he should be on a nice warm sofa or in front of a fire

G

·
I feel so sad for the old chap. hugs for caring. I guess in some ways, you are lucky that there aren't a lot of pets to be mistreated, on the bad side, not going to have a lot of community concern or support.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Bless his little heart! Let us know how he gets on!

My sister had a black cat wander into her garden one day, and she never left! They tried for months to find her owner, posters, phone calls etc, but no one turned up! She's now a permanent fixture and one of the family :)

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
He is surprisingly settled in the bathroom. He was freaking out a bit at first but i put a towl over the carrier and he settled down. I have named him Geoffrey

·
Registered
3,302 Posts

Ian
Its possible this cat had an accident or was hit by a car and fled, then became disorientated. He may well be missing and much loved by his owners. Have you trawled the pets missing ads in your area? Or maybe when he trusts you enough, see if he is chipped.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Its possible this cat had an accident or was hit by a car and fled, then became disorientated. He may well be missing and much loved by his owners. Have you trawled the pets missing ads in your area? Or maybe when he trusts you enough, see if he is chipped.
No missing ads matching his description (that I've seen anyway) and nobody I've asked knows who he belongs to. That said, there are literally 100's of houses on this estate with a even bigger one within a few minutes walk for a cat so he could belong anywhere.

I'm 99.9% sure he's not neutered so it's highly unlikely he'll be chipped, not that there a hope in hell of my getting close enough to catch him and take him to the vet for checking. My main worry is he's FIV/whatever, tho' he's not a fighter and thankfully my lot pretty much ignore him when they're outside together.

I said I thought he might be using the flap, he definitely is. I gave Bola a chicken wing in the dining room last night and when I looked seconds later it had gone, even a pig like Bola couldn't have eaten it that quickly :confused: He than started pawing at a chair and as I went to check, the mystery tom bolted out from behind it with said wing in mouth. He dropped it in his panic to get away but stopped in the kitchen, probably hungry enough to want to go back for it, but by then Bola had had enough and chased him out thro' the flap.

Ian

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.