Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Another Smoking Thread!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Merlin Birmingham, May 10, 2010.

1. Merlin Birmingham

Merlin Birmingham PetForums Senior

2. bird

bird PetForums VIP

It would certainly explain why some of us have a real struggle to quit the damn things. :rolleyes:

3. JANICE199

JANICE199 PetForums VIP

lol now i have to question my genes.;) Unless smoking a pipe counts which my father did.:lol:

4. vickie1985

vickie1985 PetForums VIP

could be true ya know....

my grandparents and great grandparents smoked like chimneys, and my mum cant stop and refuses to stop even though she suffers with bronchitus and struggles to breathe from 1 day to the next...she claims she will die happy.

ive never touched one in my life :thumbup:

5. GoldenShadow

GoldenShadow PetForums VIP

To be honest it doesn't affect my thoughts on it. Its such a small factor I doubt it actually prevents anyone from stopping completely, it literally would make it just a tad more difficult. I think probably the amount of time you have smoked and the amount of cigarettes in your lifetime probably have much more of an impact and make it harder to quit. Eg, people my age (18) I would expect them to find it easier to quit than someone who is 40 and has smoked the same amount of cigarettes every day, but for 20 years instead of 2 years.

I'm not even that convinced really, there are actually similar findings for things such as people liking chocolate more..! There are certain nucleotides which make people more likely to like certain types of foods and dislike others, which fits in with the fat gene idea, they aren't mutations either.

Please note though, the article mentions them as 'mutations'. That suggests to me, that they were not there originally and to be honest it gives the impression that anyone who smokes could develop the same mutation. It doesn't mention exactly when the mutation was likely to have occurred, and the research doesn't seem very conclusive.

Another forum I go on is having a debate over the same article, but that as its a mutation those people shouldn't have kids because they are dooming them to be smokers for life, apparently the choice to smoke doesn't come into it :rolleyes:

6. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

I think it's another excuse they're coming up with like fat people having an obesity gene when a lot of the time it is just down to them eating far too much and sitting on the sofa all day. Maybe it's a small factor but it doesn't make that much difference

7. Arlani

Arlani PetForums Junior

Well it could explain why I've never been interested in smoking, my parents never smoked while I was alive, just my granddad.. But honestly I don't think that's it, I think everyone has the same chance to be tempted into smoking, and some people struggle more with it than others.

#7 Arlani, May 10, 2010
    Last edited: May 14, 2010
  8. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

I dont know how true this is, i do think 90% of people start smokoingh for the same reasons peer pressure or just curiosity, but i think there could be some truth in the genes idea but i think its more the addictive rather than just smoking some people have more of an addictive nature than some.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice