Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Another Secod Dog Question...:)

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by mr.stitches, Jul 24, 2009.

1. mr.stitches

mr.stitches PetForums VIP

Hi All

Im very much for getting another dog, id love a second and id love for Pippin to have a friend.

OH isnt sure...and we would want to make sure they got on!

What is the best way to see how your dog is when living with another? I know its kind of impossible! But im trying to find out to makes things work if we do get another dog. Ideally id like to borrow a dog lol! But not sure how people would view that, I know I would be wary about lending Pippin out!

Thanks

2. Nicky09

Nicky09 PetForums VIP

I would see if you could look after a friends or family members dog for a couple of days see how Pippen reacts. Then when you are going to get another dog take Pippen once you've chosen it to see how they get on with each other.

3. mr.stitches

One friend has two dogs, which Pippin can find a little dominating at times, and I dont think they would like to be parted. A family members dog hates all other dogs too, so its not ideal!

There is a little 6 year old Yorkie at our local rescue, but I dont know if he may try to dominate Pip as Pip is only 19 months. Id much prefer to rescue if i can, most certainly.

I just feel a bit daft putting an advert on the net looking to borrow a dog! Sadly over here, they dont really do fostering, otherwise that would be ideal!

4. Nicky09

Nicky09 PetForums VIP

I'm sure the rescue would be happy to let you take him to meet the Yorkie and see how they get on maybe do a trial run i your house see how they do.

5. Patterdale_lover

Patterdale_lover PetForums VIP

Look at your dogs personality.
    IS she dominant, submissive, hyper, mellow.
    If she is dominant, get a submissive dog, this will let things flow easier, and the new dog will just accept it's position as follower to her. If she is submissive, try getting a dog that is farily balanced. Not a dog that is dominanting as the new dog could take advantage of its new found confidence. If she is hyper you have two options, get a dog that matches her energy so it can tire her out, or get a mellow dog so it can maybe slow her down a little bit. If she is mellow definitley get a mellow dog, a hyper one will cause her grief.
    Read your dog and think what is best for her. If she is dog friendly she will get on fine with another dog in the house, they are pack animals so she will love having a companion.
    Good luck in whatever you decide! What breed are you getting?

6. mr.stitches

Id love to do that, I shall have to clear it with OH first though...although have been tempted to just have two dogs waiting for him one day when he gets in from work instead of one!

BTW i love your signature about being the same size as a hotdog!

7. Nicky09

Nicky09 PetForums VIP

Yeah ask the OH first luckily mine is as animal crazy as I am so there's never really any problems with me wanting another animal. I love the baby gaga tickers they come up with the most random things.

8. kenla210

kenla210 PetForums Senior

I agree with PL's balance theory. When we went to choose a pup (one of hers actually :D) there were 4 adorable bundles of fluff, but one of them was immediately struck out because he was JUST like Daisy i.e. very busy, tail going at 100miles an hour, and we just thought there was no way we could handle 2 such manic dogs, so are now choosing between the 2 much calmer, cuddlier ones.

I think if you take your dog with you to the rescue, then they will be able to advise on the right sort of dog who will suit Pip. I think if you spend a bit of time hanging out with the dogs (even if you can't "borrow" them to take home) you will just get a feel for which one will be right.

I don't know how true it is, but I have always heard that different sex dogs tend to get on better than same sex, as long as they are spayed/neutured. That's why we are going for a boy this time :)

I think you will just know... good luck with your search

9. mr.stitches

Some great responses here, thank you!:D

Pippin can be hyper when she meets people for the first time, she is the same with other dogs until they get close. Then she gets a little nervous, but will play once she feels happy.

I would say she is submissive.

She has her mad moments where she goes nuts, but in the evenings or when were sat reading/relaxing, she likes to sit with us. Id like her to have a doggy friend to join in when she goes nuts!

She is certainly dog friendly, which is great!

Not a specific breed in mind, but probably a small dog similar to Pippin .

Maybe its just me, but sometimes she looks lonely..id hate for her to feel like that.

I had also heard about different sex dogs being better but I guess everyone thinks different.

Pippin is a rescue, so we have had dealings with them before. So hopefully they wouldnt mind us getting the dogs together, its essential really to see how they get on.

Its a big deal for us though, as the last thing we want to do is upset Pippin, we want her to love her new companion not hate them!

10. Nicky09

Nicky09 PetForums VIP

I would say any good rescue would want to make sure that your existing dog gets on with the new one as part of the checks that they do.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice