Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Another Query

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by blossom21, Oct 31, 2012.

1. blossom21

blossom21 PetForums Senior

Can anyone help me with this one, Bramble follows me everywhere if I go to the bathroom, another room ,in fact anywhere. He doesnt do it to hubby nearly as much,it mainly seems to be me. What was endearing is now frankly annoying as Im constantly shadowed. He doesnt cry like in the early days when he first came to live with us when I left the room. I try to ignore him,but there are boundaries such as I dont like him in the kitchen when Im cooking,if he laid on the floor that would be fine but he used to be under my feet.

2. smokeybear

smokeybear PetForums VIP

It is not healthy to allow dogs to follow you everywhere as they do not learn to be confident and competent on their own.

Use baby gates or a crate to prevent your dog following you.

3. blossom21

I live in a bungalow so gates wouldnt work,I would need one on every door and anyway this boy can jump and how. Still have his crate but its folded up as it took up so much room in our lounge and he only ever went in there to sleep at night. Perhaps I should just shut the door on him when I go to another room do you think ?? Im sure its all to do with being left alone all day with his previous owner. But then Im told its unhealthy for him to be so attached to me. :crazy:

4. smokeybear

smokeybear PetForums VIP

Just as a dog can have too little attention so it can have too much and become over attached, as in all things, a happy medium is best. ;)

5. blossom21

Yep your right its a learning curve for both of us. My past dogs were mine from pups except one I rehomed, but he wasnt a problem at all from day one.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice