UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
sorry guys....another rant, my bf got fed up of me talking about it!
went into pets at home...they had a hamster in a cage saying...''buy this cage for 35.99 and the play pen for £11...get the hamster free!'' which i thought was stupid...then i looked at it...and IT HAD NO BED!!! IT WAS POUCHING SAWDUST TO TRY AND MAKE A BED BECAUSE IT HAD NO BEDDING EITHER AND IT HAD NO WATER!!! IT HAD LEAKED!!!!! grrrrr!!! i told them...but didnt see them do anything about it....
THEN i saw a woman ask if the £18 tiny tiny tiny cage was big enough for a syrian...and he said YES!!!! GRRRRRR it was the smallest cage ive ever seen.

i thought i was going to be sick. i really dislike people. i was 18 when i got my first hamster (waffles :D) and i saved up and got her the best cage i could afford. This woman must have been about 50...and she couldnt pay more than £18 on a cage. URGH.

·
Registered
6,223 Posts
That's terrible and no wonder you was disgusted.:mad:
I think the RSPCA should stop shops selling cages that are below the minimum requirements for the breed of hamster it's for. I hate seeing them in tiny cages.:sad: And to leave it without bedding and water is terrible.:mad:

·
Registered
59 Posts
Yep that's terrible. Although I have to say completely different form the person who helped my daughter and me when we went to buy our hammie also at Pets at Home. Mind you from reading up about it I knew which cage I wanted -either the Cambridge or Hamster Heaven (went with latter) so I didn't need advice about that. But the person who helped me seemed to know about keeping a hammie as she said she used to have them as pets herself.

The problem with big stores like that is they are going to be as good as the kind of staff they recruit ( and pay to get the right level) and corporate culture they foster.

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah i have actually had some really helpful people serve me at this pets at home...it was just today...GRRR. im still angry!

·
Registered
346 Posts
the £18 cage is similar to the one which we got for our hammy. After one day in it i went and got him the cambridge. i felt awful he had so little space :(

·
Registered
732 Posts
I would report your complaint to head office.They are actually quite good when you complain and do actually do something about it.
I am not sure they will do anything about the cage sizes though as they will say it is manufacturers fault for making them and recommending them.
I agree they should make it illegal to make anything under the right size for each species of animal.

·
Registered
10,846 Posts
I'm sorry, I would have gone up to that woman and said theya re only trying to sell you something, and I would have said they need a much bigger cage. Thats would have p****d me off so much!!

Char
xxx

·
Registered
42 Posts
They sold us a 17 1/2 by 10 1/2 inches cage with a 5 inch wheel and assured us it was the correct cage for a Syrian. It was our first hamster and we didn't realise how big he would grow. Once we put a bigger wheel in there is hardly any room for anything else.

I went back to PatH to get something and complained to one of the assistants that the cage was too small and we were missold it and we should have been recommended a bigger cage. She just said it was the right size and OK as long as he got some exercise on his wheel and in a ball!! I couldn't believe it. I suppose they make more money by selling 2 cages. That is why I won't buy the bigger cage from there.

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
:O
the rspa recomments 60 cm!!! :O thats awful! silly people. at least you went back and that shows you are a good owner!!!

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
i have 2 of them 18 cages , they are my carying cages

:L

Xx

·
Registered
20,845 Posts
When I got Angel,the girl at pets at home said 60cm was recomended :eek: There are some good staff.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Thanks foxy thats the one - actually says 2ft6inches which is about 75cm (for one level cage) and 1ft3inches (38cm) if on 2 levels. 38 cm still feels too small even if there are two levels.

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
bad isnt it!poor hamsters :( they really should ban selling small cages!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Wonder if the new Animal Welfare Act ( 2007) has made any difference in the real world to the welfare of animals. Probably catches the most extreme cases of abuse. The only way to fix this is to clamp down on manufacturers of cages who insist on selling a cage as suitable for Syrians when it is clearly too small. A friend of my daughters bought a Syrian which died within 8 weeks of them owning it. When I went over and saw the cage it was tiny - a foot long and about 10 inches wide and a foot high. Wouldn't even put a dwarf in there. I wonder if this contributed to the death of the hamster.

·
Banned
4,561 Posts
Ugh when I went into [email protected] just to get a hamster they tried to sell me a cage. I said 'no thanks I already got one for them' and they got funny with me.. The lady also told me a cambel was a robo which it most certainly was not!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.