UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ebony's insurance is up for renewal. Things have changed since I took the policy out... She's now chipped and spayed and a year old without any claims.

I imputed all her data into the m&s website and its a lot cheaper than what they are asking for so... If they turned round and say its because of a new customer discount can I cancel the insurance and get OH to take a new one out with them?

How likely will her chipped and spay change the amount requested if I phone them up.

The difference is a lot. lifetime which they are offering me is £188 but a new policy with them is only £128.

Advice much appreciated :)

·
Registered
87 Posts
You'd get a good idea if you read through the small print (Sorry!). It may be that they class the new customer as the dog, not you, therefore you get the discount as it's a new dog to their insurance (opposed to a new person doing it for the dog, if you get what I mean!)

·
Registered
10,125 Posts
I would of thought its purely a new customer discount as a pose to the fact of the spay / microchipping etc.

With pet insurance there is no such thing as a no claim discount so its irrelavent how many years with no claims there has been.

If you have no pre-existing conditions then theres no harm in oving policies BUT if your dog gets a condition bear in mind you could be stuck with that insurer - So don't be tempted by a cheap welcoming offer if they hike prices up the next year ;)

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will give them a ring. It's annoying as they don't give you an indicator of how much they are likely to put the price up. I will read the small print ;)

Surely a spay and chip would have an impact though? Or why else would they ask for the info?

·
Registered
39,811 Posts
Ebony's insurance is up for renewal. Things have changed since I took the policy out... She's now chipped and spayed and a year old without any claims.

I imputed all her data into the m&s website and its a lot cheaper than what they are asking for so... If they turned round and say its because of a new customer discount can I cancel the insurance and get OH to take a new one out with them?

How likely will her chipped and spay change the amount requested if I phone them up.

The difference is a lot. lifetime which they are offering me is £188 but a new policy with them is only £128.

Apart from normal health checks, vaccinations, spaying worm and flea treatments etc, is her medical record completely clear? If its not and she has had anything illness or accident wise claimed for or not you would still not be covered. A lot of insurance companies seem to want a full clinical history with the first claim too and in experience they tend to group conditions as well, so for example if she had a persistent tum upset that you had to take her to the vets for that maybe you didnt claim for, you could find it becomes disorders of the digestive tract. It happened to me, Nanuq when in the RSPCA before I got her had worms and coccidia causing diarrhoea. As the cause was found out in there with fecal tests and treated and clear before I even got her I declared it when I took out her insurance thinking it wouldnt make any difference and I got an exemption for disorders of the digestive tract full stop. Same with Kobi when I changed he had had an eye infection something had got in his eye that I flushed out but was in there long enough to set up bacterial infection, just a simple infection that just needed AB eye drops dont think I even claimed, he ended up with an eye disorder exemption.
So thats the most important thing is the medical records completely clear apart from the routine things not covered anyway?

If so then I would shop around, you can try the cancellation/re instatement of a new policy with M&S, dont forget though you could well be in the same boat next year with increases and loss of new customer discount, and by then she may have more things on her record so you could be stuck with it.

·
Registered
10,125 Posts
I will give them a ring. It's annoying as they don't give you an indicator of how much they are likely to put the price up. I will read the small print ;)

Surely a spay and chip would have an impact though? Or why else would they ask for the info?
Im not sure they always do to be honest.

Millie was chipped and in the duration of our first year of insurance and it still went up considerably. But I made the mistake of going with a company which done cheap introductory offers so when renewal came round it went much much higher.

I took out a new policy with the same company (Saved £50) only to cancel it after my second year with them as I realised it as not a company i wanted to be stuck with should Millie get a lifetime illness.

I would check how much it is to insure you dog as if it was much older with your company your thinking of going with - Might give an idea of cost for a dog as your address etc but older. Other than that like most insurance its a guessing game :(

·
Registered
13,811 Posts
I phoned my insurers - Argos & Homebase - and told them about my neuterings and chips and they said it didn't make any difference to the premiums - fancy that! :mad:

They also said the claims thing didn't make any difference as they don't go by a 'no claims bonus' as in car insurance. I think it would be fairer if they did actually.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys. The only thing she has had wrong with her is a uti which she had antibiotics for and a scab which she had antibiotics for ( probably didn't need the anti-biotics for that one). I will see what they say. I like the suggestion of inputting her as an older dog to see what happens.

It maybe be a case of shopping around which is a long chore :/

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Apart from normal health checks, vaccinations, spaying worm and flea treatments etc, is her medical record completely clear? If its not and she has had anything illness or accident wise claimed for or not you would still not be covered. A lot of insurance companies seem to want a full clinical history with the first claim too and in experience they tend to group conditions as well, so for example if she had a persistent tum upset that you had to take her to the vets for that maybe you didnt claim for, you could find it becomes disorders of the digestive tract. It happened to me, Nanuq when in the RSPCA before I got her had worms and coccidia causing diarrhoea. As the cause was found out in there with fecal tests and treated and clear before I even got her I declared it when I took out her insurance thinking it wouldnt make any difference and I got an exemption for disorders of the digestive tract full stop. Same with Kobi when I changed he had had an eye infection something had got in his eye that I flushed out but was in there long enough to set up bacterial infection, just a simple infection that just needed AB eye drops dont think I even claimed, he ended up with an eye disorder exemption.
So thats the most important thing is the medical records completely clear apart from the routine things not covered anyway?

If so then I would shop around, you can try the cancellation/re instatement of a new policy with M&S, dont forget though you could well be in the same boat next year with increases and loss of new customer discount, and by then she may have more things on her record so you could be stuck with it.
Great point! I didn't know this. Maybe £188 isn't too bad for lifetime after all.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts

If she's currently on lifetime and the policy quoted online is the same then it's very unlikely you'll get away with it. If, OTOH, the policies are different then it would be regarded as a new policy and not a continuation. Do take care - if you register her as a 'new' customer and they find out that you aren't then you have committed fraud - and that's a criminal record, fine or imprisonment.

Chipping and spaying should make no difference to the quote. You also need to note that a 'new' policy is usually sold at a discount. In fact the very first thing on the M&S website says: "Save 15% on new policies when you buy online (excludes renewals)."

Why not simply shop around elsewhere? There's a list of companies on my website (see sig) which do lifetime cover and I think that one or two may offer better cover than M&S at a lower price.

·
Registered
39,811 Posts
Thanks Albert Ross, will her uti and scab make a difference?
Its possible, like I believe I may have mentioned (all though get confiused what I have and havent as there is quite a few insurance threads)

When I got Nanuq at 12 weeks she had diarrhoea in the RSPCA fecal tests were done it it just turned out to be worms and coccidia protozoan parasite infection. It was treated and cleared before I got her, and I mentioned it thinking it wouldnt make a difference, only to have a disorders of the digestive tract full stop exemption put on.

Same with Kobi when I changed companies her had had something in his eye that I flushed out but next day it was green gunge, in case something was still in there or his eye was scratched or injured I took him, it was fine and just needed simple antibiotic eye drops, a one off you would think but I now have eye disorders exemption on his.

So its quite possible that anything to do with Urinary tract infection may well be exempt or not covered possibly anything to do with skin as well at least scab and lesion wise, that though you may get away with but wouldnt surprise me if they slapped on a urinary tract exemption to be honest. Its something you would have to check.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
What Sled Dog said.

The thing to do is get quotes - then if there's any that are good, phone the company and find out. If OK ask them to put it in writing. Then buy online to get the discount.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the advice. I decided to go with John Lewis but they are saying a uti and a scab is a precondition. I'm just going to phone my vet now for advice. Hope they can be more helpful .

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Thanks for the advice. I decided to go with John Lewis but they are saying a uti and a scab is a precondition. I'm just going to phone my vet now for advice. Hope they can be more helpful .
OK - go back to them and ask what timescale they'd need to remove the pre-condition. They might say that after 1 or 2 years it'll be dropped.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks, still waiting on my vet to contact me. The wording on JL FAQs is quite vague

'Your pet won’t be covered for any illness, disease, injury or any change in it’s normal healthy state, its bodily functions or behaviour which they had before this policy started.'

If she has a uti again that's not a problem. It's about 7 quid for anti biotics but concerned that if she develops say.. Kidney problems the past uti that was treated successfully could make any kidney problems exempt?

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
If she has a uti again that's not a problem. It's about 7 quid for anti biotics but concerned that if she develops say.. Kidney problems the past uti that was treated successfully could make any kidney problems exempt?
You need to ask them what the specific wording of the exclusion is for the uti. Some companies will class a foot injury as something that affects the whole leg, some will take diarrhoea to exclude anything digestive system related. If you have a specific diagnosis and vet report they may simply agree to exclude that condition only. And you should only ask them about that condition. DON'T ask if they'd exclude anything kidney related - it's too easy for them to say 'yes'. Ask them if they'll exclude the uti and get them to provide the exact wording of the exclusion. The bottom line is - if it's in the policy it governs what you can and can't claim for. If they give you a specific exclusion and then say something different later on should you make a claim, you can argue with them and the Ombudsman that they were specific about the exclusion and can't redraw the lines later.

·
Registered
39,811 Posts
Although Animal Friends who Nans with did put on a blanket examption for Disorders of the Digestive tract, because of Nan getting diarrhoea in the RSPCA before I got her due to Coccidia and worms, they did say that when I took it outl providing she proved to be digestive tract problem free for 6mths I could apply to have it lifted. I did apply after the 6 months but was told it was an error and they like them to be free of probs for a year but I could reapply then. By some miracle she was, and they did lift the exemption.

Kobi I changed from More Than to Pet Plan and as I mentioned has got a Eye disorder exemption because of that one explainable bacterial infection when something got in his eye, but Pet plan too said that I can apply for it to be lifted if I get a letter from the vet to confirm its a one off and anything he may get eye wise is unconnected in the vets opinion. So something maybe you should check if they will be willing to lift it if he stays UTI and scab free for a certain amount of time and vet can confirm likely that was a one off.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.