Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

another person going to the vets.

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by ballybee, Apr 30, 2011.

1. ballybee

ballybee PetForums VIP

Tummels been really ill all day, he threw up on Thursday but as he hadn't eaten anything yet that day we assumed that was the cause(it's happened before) and he ate everything in his bowl once we got home. Yesterday he seemed fine, had the runs a bit then on his evening walk he poo'd and some blood came out...not a huge amount just mucous and blood so again assumed it was some mundane thing like he'd held it in too long and it was dry, then he went out later and poo'd more blood, OH thought it might have just been his cut from the dry poo and he was fine in every other way apart from he'd vomited again(thought it was eating again as he ate his food when we got back).

Today he's so much worse, he won't eat, had one drink and i had to move to bowl to him, he's poo'd very soft poo and more blood and thrown up twice, he's lethargic and just not right so i've made an emergency appointment with the vet for 1:45, looked out all his insurance papers(PDSA....apparently pay out straight to vets according to the paper) and was just wondering if anyone has any advice? Do i phone my insurance before or after going to the vets and should i try to get Tummel to eat or drink before going?

Thanks from a very worried and panicing mum :(

2. Bobbie

Bobbie PetForums VIP

You are doing the best thing in going to the vets they will soon sort the problem out re the insurance you usually have to pay upfront to the vet and then get a claim form from the insurance company which you hand to the vet and they fill it in and send off. Hope that helps.

3. portiaa

portiaa PetForums VIP

Sorry no advice but hope tummel is back to normal and doing well soon, hoping it's just something minor a one off, fingers and paws crossed! :)Sending positive vibes and a speedy recovery. *hugs*

4. woody10

woody10 PetForums Senior

So sorry to hear the Tummels isn't well and I hope it is not too serious and he recovers soon. You are doing the best thing taking him to the vets. An Emergency Appointment will cost a fair amount - If I were you I would phone up of your insurance company now and ask them - but as far as I know it may be down to the vets and they may want you to pay them and then claim back from your insurance.

I would not give anything to Tummel to eat until you have seen the vets - if for any reason they have to sedate him (hopefully not), they can not do it if food has been eaten recently. BUT I think drinking is ok (someone may correct me).

My poor boy is at the vets at the moment -
    http://www.petforums.co.uk/dog-chat/162528-paw-woody.html

5. ballybee

ballybee PetForums VIP

Thanks everyone, i'm not bothered about the cost of the appointment, on my insurance papers it says they pay straight to vets, if they won't then i'll have to arrange some kind of payment plan, this is a new vet we're going to my old one was horrendously expensive and a bit too rough with Tummel for my liking(cost me £90 just for an appointment to check his ears, quoted £200 to neuter my parents cat when he was 5 months old...a different vet did it for £65). Trust this to happen the week before my student bursary comes through!!!

I hope Woody's feeling better soon...that must have hurt :(

6. ballybee

ballybee PetForums VIP

Well we're back, vet thinks Tummel has an infection as his temps really high but the good news is she doesn't think he has an obstruction :) she gave him anti-emetic and anibiotic injectionsand an electrolyte powder which is cooling in his bowl as we speak(he's lying beside it waiting...it must smell good) and we have a follow up check tomorrow where if he's improved we will get antibiotic tabs and if he's worse he'll have to have an x-ray.

The staff were fantastic with us, the receptionists were lovely and the vet double checked everything with me and let me hold him while he was being jabbed instead of the nurse...Tummel was also really good the only thing he wasn't happy with was getting his temp taken(but who would be really) and he did flinch when he got the first jab in his thigh but considering that was his first time to a new, nice vet he was great(apart from cocking his leg on the charity box in reception and then jumping onto the desk for loads of fuss and a treat).

Thanks for the good vibes, he's already a bit brighter(asleep at the moment but vet said that might happen), lets hope he's much better by tomorrow. for the emergency appointment, 2 injections and powder i was £65....i think thats quite reasonable after seeing some other vets prices.

7. Eroswoof

Eroswoof Guest

Eee Tummel! I had my hand over my mouth until the last post!!

Big hugs to you xxxxxxxx

8. babycham2002

babycham2002 PetForums VIP

Thats very reasonable price, that'd be a normal appt at my vets.

Glad Tummel is looking forward to his powder and that his condition doesnt seem to be serious
    Get well soon Tummel xxxx

9. ballybee

ballybee PetForums VIP

I was almost in tears when i phoned them but they were so good. I think he ate too big a chunk of rabbit spine earlier this week(we gave this one to him skinned, usually we just take the guts out and he's really good at chewing it thoroughly) and it cut him somewhere. Just need to wait and see vet said rice and chicken or WW(turkey) wet after 8pm, just a wee bit and see how he gets on with it, i'll be using the wet food as he prefers it to chicken(weird i know).

Next time he gets a rabbit the skins staying on!!! If he ever gets another one that is, he's so good at chewing everything usually :mad: silly boy!!!

10. ballybee

ballybee PetForums VIP

This vet has a fantastic reputation, theres a branch(they have 3 clinics) near me but it closed at 12 and if Tummel had needed an x-ray i would have had to travel to the one i went to anyway. I've registered us there now as they were so much nicer and reassuring, the vet offered to keep Tummel in overnight for free if i wanted but i know him better so he's here with me :)

11. babycham2002

babycham2002 PetForums VIP

They sound truely lovely
    I'm glad you're feeling more relaxed now, you sound much better in yourself
    Dogs ay, who'd have em. Worry the whatsits out of us :001_smile:

12. ballybee

ballybee PetForums VIP

lol i know!!! Shame i have my name down for another one eh? :p

I've just been on the website having a nosey, very glad i chose them when your puppy has it's 2nd vaccination they send out invitations for a puppy party :D sounds great and theres loads of good information on what the vaccinations are for and what those diseases can do.

I am so much calmer, mostly because the staff were so good to us

13. momentofmadness

momentofmadness PetForums VIP

I must admit when I read your first post I was thinking of an obstruction..

So glad for him that it isn't..

Big hugs to Tummel and you.. xxx

14. Eroswoof

Eroswoof Guest

:eek: Oh sweetheart *massive hug* I'm absolutely hysterical if somethings wrong with my furries xxxx

15. ballybee

ballybee PetForums VIP

I thought it was as well, the only thing that struck me as odd was that when his abdomen was felt he didn't flinch(i thought it was maybe because i was doing it but he was fine with the vet doing it too), he's totally knackered now it must have been exciting going to a new place with lovely people and treats(wish i could say the same)

I get so stressed about him, if i'm sore or not well i just get on with life but Tummel can't say he's hurt or ill :( god only knows what i'll be like once i have the puppy as well :rolleyes:

16. momentofmadness

momentofmadness PetForums VIP

Its mad so many signs point to alarming probs.. :eek:

I went the beach the other day with the dogs.. The following day Bobby sounded like he had Kennel cough.. I was quite worried and gave him some honey to ease his throat.. Kennel Cough is rife in our area at the min..

I mentioned it to my mum and also said Im wandering if he had to much salt water and sand in his mouth and its upset him..

By the next night you wouldn't even know he had been raspy.. :)
    And he is still fine now.. Big panic over nothing.. :rolleyes:

They dont half worry us..

17. ballybee

ballybee PetForums VIP

YES!!!

Tummels just woken up and had a drink from the electrolyte solution, he's not meant to eat a meal until 8 but the phoned the vet as i have these charcoal bones from CSJ that are meant to help with digestion which he adores and asked if he could have one(he could)

And he just had one :D:D:D i've also left a quarter of a tray of WW in his dish but he's not attempting that yet. Huge improvement considering this morning he wouldn't even take a bonio!

Further improvement, he's had 2.5 of the bones now(they're only wee but at least its something) and he just gave his ball a squeak :D:D:D he's about 3 times as lively as he was this morning and his temps come down a bit(going by ears, nose and paws) :)

#17 ballybee, Apr 30, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2011
  18. woody10

woody10 PetForums Senior

Great to hear that Tummels is improving - hopefully it won't be too long b4 he is back to his normal self. I know what a relief it must be for you. The amount you paid was very little for an emergency appointment.

Woody has just cost me £185, not that I begrudge a penny of it, my vets I know are expensive but they have in-house surgery and can be contacted 24 hours a day, plus they have known Woody since he was a pup and he loves them all.

I've updated my thread and added a couple of photos
    http://www.petforums.co.uk/dog-chat/162528-paw-woody.html#post2429335

19. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Oh I'm SO glad Tummels ok. Poor boy :(

20. ballybee

ballybee PetForums VIP

I think this vets has a surgery, they're the nearest emergency vet anyway so i'd hope so(i'll ask them tomorrow) I don't begrudge the money either(i think i would if the vets were terrbile but as i said all the staff were brilliant) i'm just glad he's ok.

He's gone and jumped onto the bed so i'd guess he's feeling much better, he's still really sleepy but much more attentive than he was, he's had a wee bit more of the electrolyte solution as well(he has 1.5 pints to drink before tomorrows appointment) but the vet gave me a 10ml syringe in case he doesn't want to drink, he had some fresh water while the solution was cooling so i'm not going to use it yet, when i phoned the vet re - the treats she said the minimum she wants him to have is a pint....i don't think he even drinks that daily normally but owell :eek:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice