Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Another litter too soon??

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by Time flies, Sep 29, 2013.

1. Time flies

Time flies PetForums Member

Hi, can somebody tell me if there is a minimum time between litters set by the gccf? I can't seem to find out. I know they say no more that 3 litters in a 2 year period but was just curious.
    I am just a bit sad to see that the breeders of my kitten who I picked up in August have another litter born to the same mum and being advertised. My kitten is gccf reg and these are advertised as gccf reg too so either something is dodgy or the min time set out by gccf is not long enough in my opinion. I could understand if say, the first litter was a single kitten especially if it was fostered by another queen and the mum was in tip top condition but this is not the case.

2. havoc

havoc PetForums VIP

As far as I'm aware the GCCF don't set themselves above veterinary advice. The cat could have had a pyo and the breeder been advised to breed her on the following call by the vet. As long as she then has a long rest or this is a final litter then although not what any of us would wish for it does happen and we can only follow the advice of qualified professionals. I'm not saying this is definitely the case here but the idea of one litter each year exactly twelve months apart is not always realistic.

3. Time flies

Thanks Havoc, I'd never thought of that, maybe that's the case. I just felt a bit sorry for her at the thought of her being put back to stud before her last kittens had left.

4. havoc

havoc PetForums VIP

I feel for her too and I can't guarantee there's good reason for it but every now and again there is :)

5. sharonbee

sharonbee PetForums VIP

I was going to give the same type of reply as Havoc, I hope there is a good reasonable explanation such as pyo etc.

When I first decided to breed I thought it was overbreeding to have more than one litter per year...how naive was I then lol?

If a Queen is having many calls you just can't wait twelve months between litters as it can cause her serious problems, after all she is a breeding queen, that is what she does, although we try to leave them at least 7 months between having a litter and going back to stud but sometimes for whatever reason it may not be feasible and she may need to go back sooner.:)

6. jaycee05

jaycee05 PetForums VIP

I believe the minimum time between litters is 17 weeks, from first mating and litter to the next mating,from what I have heard that the GCCF recommend, no less

7. spotty cats

spotty cats PetForums VIP

A recommendation is not the same as a rule though.

Here the rule is no more than 2 litters in 12 months, but it's easily overridden by a vets letter, which is required to register the litter.

8. Time flies

Thanks very much everyone :)
    I was just a bit shocked to see her having another litter so soon but hopefully it's for the good of the cat. Although it does say the babies are ready Christmas Day so it is possible they might just be fitting in another litter, who knows.
    I haven't bred my first litter yet and haven't got to the point where my girls are calling. I bet it's sometimes hard for breeders to know what to do for the best sometimes with risks of pyo, girls constantly calling, losing condition possibly when they are calling often etc

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice