Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

ANother Kitten question

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by catzz, May 30, 2010.

1. catzz

catzz PetForums Senior

I took Gypsy and Kiera for their jabs yesterday. The vet showed me that Gypsy still has loads of milk. Kiera is still feeding from her - and has done so alot today. I thought it was just a comfort thing but she is getting milk. Kiera is 11 weeks this weekend. She is eating "real" food too - and quite a lot of it. How long do you think this will go on for? Will Gypsy's milk dry up or will it just keep coming for as long as Kiera is feeding from her? Will Kiera give it up of her own accord or is Gypsy likely to get fed up and stop her? I have visions of Kiera still feeding off her as a fully grown cat! Not that I mind; it's very cute to watch :)

Oh- just one more thing. Kiera particularly is still quite sleepy today after her jab. Presumably this is normal?

2. memmarmite

memmarmite PetForums Member

Spock was very subdued after his first jab, the vet did tell us it was a possibility...

Also, I'm not sure if it's the same in cats (I work in maternity so I deal with a different kind of mammalian reproduction, heh) but I would imagine it is - in people the milk is produced in quantities that meet the demand for it. As baby feeds less, less milk is produced, until eventually it dries up completely when baby stops needing/wanting it. I know this doesn't totally answer your question but hopefully it helps!

3. billyboysmammy

billyboysmammy PetForums VIP

if mum is letting her keep feeding... then there will always be milk available! Supply and demand.

Most of the time mum eventually stops, she will let the kitten know when she has had enough, sometimes this is around 12-16 weeks though so dont fret yet. If she is still feeding at 4/5mo then its time to step in. You might need to make them sleep seperatly for a while lol.

When your there to supervise let them be together but remember to distract kitty if she is sneaking a quick suckle. At night or while your out you will need to seperate them :(... it will only be for a short while so dont worry!

Ive tried all sorts of things before to stop a daft mum from continuing to feed (from baby grows to plasters!) and nothing much works other than seperation.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice