Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Another incontinence question.

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Dogloverlou, Feb 8, 2018.

1. Dogloverlou

Dogloverlou PetForums VIP

Missy's accidents in the house have become more frequent the past couple of weeks. She's had about 6 accidents where as before it was more like one a month. When we was last at the vets testing her for cushings etc they were not overly concerned about the accidents and thought it likely was just an age thing. Question is, when do you feel medication is worthwhile for incontinence? A part of me feels like she's not bad enough yet to warrant meds, she's completely dry throughout the night for example and is not having accidents daily currently, but at the same time the increase in the past two weeks points towards things obviously deteriorating.

2. Westie Mum

Westie Mum PetForums VIP

With my last oldie, she went on meds when it was happening daily but they didnt really do much tbh so we just kept her clean with lots of washes round her bits and back legs - Johnsons deodorising shampoo was the only one that removed the smell from her fur and i just brought another washing up bowl and stood her back legs in it while i washed her down each day - it became part of life tbh, with a snuggle and treat afterwards :)

Along with buying lots of extra bedding for her so we could keep washing. Thankfully we have wood floors everywhere so apart form washing everything wish white vinegar, that wasn't a big clear up job.

Sadly they do revert back to being like puppies again, as in you spend all day clearing up after them.

Other than her accidents, how is she doing ?

Lucy is 14 in 3 weeks, so will be the oldest dog ive had. Shes a proper old grumpy grandma :rolleyes:

3. Westie Mum

Westie Mum PetForums VIP

Just to add - i only found this company after we lost Sophie but if/when Lucy starts having issues i am buying these .....

http://www.jacobsden.co.uk/the-wet-dog-mat.html

The lady that makes them made me some lovely covers for our cool mats because my fussy lot wont lie on the bare plastic. The wet dog mats have some great reviews !

3dogs2cats likes this.
  4. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

If it continues or gets worse, then it might be worth trying something like propalin. I had one of mine on it, I also found that after inititally starting on the dose per weight, I in fact could decrease it quite a bit and she only needed something like a 0.2 in the mornings and 0.3 at night, which was way below the dose she should have been on for her size and weight. I just kept decreasing it slowly a bit at a time until I found the lowest dose I could get away with and it still worked.It is veterinary only though as you probably know so you would have to speak to the vets. There are others that are more for hormone dependant urinary sphincter incompetence which is a hormone treatment like Incurin. The propalin works differently to these. I would say however, that you are not supposed to use propalin if the dog has cushings (cant remember if that was ruled out or not)

There is another one I have seen that is called leaks no more which is more natural that I haven't used but know about, and it seems it gets decent reviews.
    https://www.homeopet.com/leaks-no-more

I assume things like UTIs or cystitis has been ruled out, because my oldies tended to have accidents and loss of control if they developed UTIs or cystitis too.
    Older bitches tend to become a lot more prone to UTIs and things as I have found out with my Older dogs or as they age.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  5. 3dogs2cats

3dogs2cats PetForums VIP

I like the look of these! As much as Vet Bed is good for wicking urine away and keeping my girl dry I do find it takes ages to dry after washing, these say they can be tumble dried.

6. Westie Mum

Westie Mum PetForums VIP

We have a couple of blankets from them aswell, Coton one side, lovely cuddle fleece on the other side .... I’ve had them a couple of years now, wash up beautiful and dry really quick too.

7. Dogloverlou

Dogloverlou PetForums VIP

Thankfully Missy doesn't appear to be making herself wet through from her accidents so I haven't had to wash her down, but I am going through her blankets at quite a regular speed now the past couple of weeks! It generally seems to happen when she gets up from her position on the floor or whatever.

She is absolutely fine in herself. Much more dottery and losing her hearing and eyesight, but nothing major. She still runs about on her walks when she can tear herself away from me for 5 seconds.

Lucy is such a character bless her. I think they kind of earn the right to become grumpier in their old age :)

Thanks for the link, will check them out.

Thanks for the info SDH. I think I'm right in just monitoring her for now then and consider meds later on if it gets much worse. Cushings was not conclusive either way really as her results were borderline and not a huge cause for concern. She was checked for UTIs back when we was going through all the Cushings stuff, back in November time now, but may be worth checking again as her urinalysis did come back with higher levels of protein and some blood in.

8. Tillystar

Tillystar PetForums VIP

My parents collie is spay incontinent, she was prescribed incurin but after a two months we decided to try her on csj hold it. Which has worked as good as incurin did & its natural.

9. Westie Mum

Westie Mum PetForums VIP

Sophie had joint issues aswell so she couldn’t squat aswell as she used to which resulted in it running down her legs o_O so there is something to be thankful for, that Missy isn’t wetting on herself.

It’s sad when their hearing and sight start to fade. But when you have moments like them enjoying a short burst of run on a walk and joy they still experience, makes it so heart warming :)

Yep, Lucy is a character all right! She’s like the grandma telling the little kids off for being noisy all the time lol .... poor Poppy and Oscar have no idea what they’ve done to upset her most of the time! While her eyes are definitely going, her hearing not so much - she can still hear a crisp packet open upstairs :Hilarious

We must revive the oldies thread, see how everyone else is doing!

10. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

I find my vet bed is wonderful. I have 3 bits that fit on a waterproof bed. There is one bed in the lounge and one in the kitchen so there is always a spare bit. I find it dries really quickly.

Not sure if I would medicate at your level. Candy empties her bladder totally in the night without medication. I had a slightly leaky old dog that I tried on incurin but it did not make a massive difference and I was too poor at the time to afford regular medication so we just lived with it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice