Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Another getting weight on post

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by toffee44, Jan 2, 2012.

1. toffee44

toffee44 PetForums VIP

Teal has lost weight over three weeks originally put it down to him running with me a lot but I think it could be lungworm now, as in three days ago I though this. We are going to the vet tomo morning for some advocate as he is also coughing :(

I currently raw feed with a couple of days Skinners as OH doesnt always remember to get meat out etc :p

I have always said tripe and chicken legs for weight gain but in view of why he has probably lost weight its not really working.

What do raw people think??? Give some time for the wormer to work and just up the food or try something like vitalin gold for a while mixed with raw?? Or on his kibble days??

2. SixStar

SixStar Banned

My greyhounds are very prone to weight loss so I just ensure their diets are rich in the fattier meats such as duck and pork (they get lots of skin, trotters, ears and tails) and are feed plenty of tripe too - if they're look particularly lanky I'll give a couple of small bowls a day of lactol (puppy milk) with a measure of Calopet nutritional support mixed in.

I'd ditch kibble all together personally and just feed the raw if you are trying to get weight on - Skinners and Vitalin Gold are full of cereals, it just goes in one end and comes out the other, it won't help at all with weight gain - lots of raw foods can be fed frozen so don't worry if you forget to get it out to defrost, it can be fed from the freezer, or maybe get some packs of Naturediet in as a backup or get a decent grain free kibble to use? But don't feed kibble and raw in one meal - that's a no go!

If you suspect lungworm though and he's coughing, then the vets is a good idea.

3. toffee44

toffee44 PetForums VIP

I only feed kibble 2 days out of 9 because I work all day OH is stuck in his ways lets say. Seriously arguement not worth having.

Funny you say that about pork, its one thing they havent had for about a month (we get it for free but our supply dries up over winter as the farmer doesnt get much orders in) we are going over to get some on Wed I might completly raid the freezers :)

Lactol, now I have never ever used it, is it likely to upset him being too rich? If I give it to him twice a day should I maybe add some extra bone?

Just to add Teal is a springer x Labrador although he is spaniel sized and has never even when well covered gone over 23kg and always looks lean, but I can see his ribs again.

4. SixStar

SixStar Banned

No, lactol is used for weaning puppies so it isn't particularly rich - it's never upset mine and they've got quite delicate bellies but introduce slowly if you're worried. My greyhounds are about 27kg and when they're on it I give them about 250ml each twice a day.

Beaphar Sherleys Lactol Vitamin Fortified Milk Powder - From £4.74

This is the paste I use when needed - Calo Pet High Energy Nutritional Support - £7.13

5. cinnamontoast

cinnamontoast Sois pas chiant, chéri.

Maybe baby rice, too, purely for the calories. Asda were doing fab pork ribs last week.

Beef chunks are good for weight gain, too, or just up him to 4-5%. He's a youngster so naturally will be skinny. My two (18 months) are about 23kg but never stop, so get more than the recommended amount.

6. Blondie

Blondie PetForums VIP

Try this - its piled the weight on Magnum in all the right places -

Firstly, know this: Milk as you buy it, is not a good food for dogs. In fact it is bad for them. It's all to do with the lactose it contains. The following is the best you can do, or to feed plain (natural) Bio yoghurt. Clabbered milk is sometimes called Buttermilk, but it is right to say that clabbered milk is a more crude and inexpensive product, easily made by you at home. It is excellent for putting condition onto and i~= a dog. The fats are completely broken down and utilised. You will see a real shine, with depth to it come into the coat. Be warmed though, too much and your dog will get grossly overweight if fed too much. Personally, I never feed it more than once a week, unless it is to a nursing bitch or puppies.
    Like other milk foods such as Bio yoghurt, it is said to have worm removing properties. Let's hope that one day that can be proven.
    Here is my way to make clabbered milk, quickly and easily.
    Take a two, or four-pint carton of milk, full cream or semi skimmed. (You must decide if your dog can take the extra fat - probably not with the way that so many dogs seem to be overweight these days rather than lean, which is the way they would survive and thrive in the wild). Remove about a cup of milk for your own use and to give you the air room needed when you come to shake it up. Shake it hard for about ten seconds and leave it in a warm place like a sunny window or by an Aga to literally, go off. Ideally, do this three times a day (remove the top to let the air out after each shaking - and don't forget to put it back!) After as little as 3 or 4 days in warm weather (Summer) a little longer, say about 5 or 6 days if the weather is colder (Winter) it will have become a thick fluid a little like yoghurt and it will smell fresh, yet a touch cheesy. This is the wonderful stuff that is clabbered milk. If you forget to shake it, or you let it go on longer you will, quite simply, end up with curds and whey. You can still feed it to your dog, but give it a good shake to mix them. It may just separate into curds and whey again, when left.

7. toffee44

toffee44 PetForums VIP

My clabbered milk is ready gave them some tonight he loved it. Do you think I should give them a little each day to get them up to weight?? Them being Teal and Buster my newish rescue who is slowly putting on weight.

8. Malmum

Malmum PetForums VIP

Pig tails, pig skin, pigs ears and pig heads, lamb mince, lamb backs/necks, chicken with skin on and even carcasses are quite a fatty meat. In fact chicken contains more fat than a lean piece of pork so anything chicken is a good source if you want weight gain. I also like goats milk and raw egg.

Not much info on tripe from either Tom Lonsdale or Ian Billinghurst, it's not thought to ba a meat of great nutritional value and isn't high in fat apparently. The reason some dogs gain weight with tripe is purely because it is a meat many dogs like over other meats, so the dog eats it with gusto and in the process gains weight, which it would do with other meats if it found them as palatable.;)

A little insight into different meats: Taken from the book - Give Your Dog A Bone by Ian Billinghurst.
    Beef is very high in good quality protein has less fat than other meats but is low in essential fatty acids, chicken has lower protein than beef, lamb or pork but is high in essential fatty acids, it has low sodium and above average potassium, it is low in calcium, magnesium, iron and zinc. Beef should always be frozen before being fed to dogs as we have Neospora Caninum in some cattle stock in the UK, it's very rare but has been fatal to one dog over here. An Overview of Neospora Canium and Raw Food Diets I always freeze beef even if it's human grade just to be on the safe side, but you don't have to worry about it too much because it is very rare anyway. Lamb is high in fat and as it contains zinc also it is particularly good for the skin and skin conditions where other meats are not so good. For zinc deficient dogs lamb neck or shank contain the highest levels of zinc and along with the fat are the best cuts to feed. Pork is an excellent meat full of good quality protein, high in vits B1, 2 & 3, and high in the essential amino acid Taurine. We don't have to worry about Trichinosis in the UK as we don't have that disease in our stock, we do not have the Hydatids worm either. The total cholesterol in a lean piece of pork is actually lower than in chicken. Chicken is one of the fattiest meats (including carcasses) you can give your dog, also very high in cholesterol even without the skin. Rabbit especially whole is obviously an excellent food as it contains everything a dog needs the head is particularly full of nutrients in the eyes and brains. Liver is an excellent source of many vitamins including all of the B vitamins, and vitamins A, C, D, E and K in great quantities it also has minerals Zinc, Manganese, Selenium and Iron. It has essential fatty acids both of the omega 3 and 6 type. Kidneys are high in fatty acids and vits A, D, E & K as well as iron and all the B vitamins. Brains supply protein, cholesterol, and most of the B vits. Hearts have high levels of the B vits and fatty acids

#8 Malmum, Jan 8, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2012
  9. Blondie

Blondie PetForums VIP

Cant see any hamr in giving them a bit each day if you want. Magnum has been getting his about 3 times a week, but he is getting nigh on a pint of it a time, lol!

10. toffee44

toffee44 PetForums VIP

Back to vets this morning hes put on 1 kg in just over a week by putting him to to 5% rather than being on 3%. Vet still doesnt agree with raw feeding though (my normal vet does but hes on holiday how dare he!!! ).
    She also wants me to advocate all three of mine monthly!!!:eek: Again not happening. Hes stopped coughing now. But she wants him to continue the antibiotics anyway.

11. Lexiedhb

Lexiedhb Team Ginger!

What about oily fish?

12. toffee44

toffee44 PetForums VIP

They get sardines (fresh) once a week and if there is anything cheap in the supermarket they get that too.

PS we need to go for that walk soon. Dylan is having his doo dahs off tomorrow so will be cooped up for a while (restrained more like it) will let you know once hes up and running again.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice