Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Another dog attack

Discussion in 'Pet News' started by simplysardonic, May 31, 2010.

1. simplysardonic

simplysardonic Moderator
    Staff Member

2. SEVEN_PETS

SEVEN_PETS PetForums VIP

why does this keep happening? poor girl. hope she recovers.

3. simplysardonic

simplysardonic Moderator
    Staff Member

Who knows? I think banning even more breeds is definitely NOT the way forward though

4. Waterlily

Waterlily Amused

aw poor girl how sad :(

5. Zaros

Zaros Pet Forums, P/resident Evil

As terrible as the circumstances are this is just another feeding frenzy for both the media and the anti dog brigade.
    I did read some of the attached comments and to be honest they're just representative of that 'catchphrase' mentality 'Say what you see' :mad:

6. k4r4

k4r4 PetForums VIP

feel sorry for the young girl and read most of the comments people seem to think if you read it in the paper or if its on tv its gospel.... people are naive.

*Kara*

7. Beagle Mafia

Beagle Mafia Guest

Firstly poor poor little girl, so sad that yet another dog has attacked :(

secondly on the BBc site it says that the girl bent down to give the dog a kiss and it attacked...this story tells me that really the main issue is that the poor girl was not correctly educated by parents to not be in dogs face. I am very cautious of Buster around kids (mainly as he has very little contact with them) and although he is a gentle little thing if kids come towards his head he backs off...one day he could snap so I ask the kids to aproach slowly and not make jerky movements. If I kissed Buster in the face he'd have every right to snap at me as I am in his space. This however sounds like a 'mauling' according to the papers - its just very sad :(

8. SEVEN_PETS

SEVEN_PETS PetForums VIP

I kiss my dog's face. I can even lay my head on him. He doesn't mind a jot.

9. Beagle Mafia

Beagle Mafia Guest

Yes but the story doesn't say whether the dogs was sleeping/lying down/ear exposed. I know we don't know the details but if I bent down on my dogs level, accidently blew in his ear/kissed him and shocked him it would be my fault if he nipped me. I am not saying Buster would do that or that he has done that to me but if he did then thats his reflex. I wouldn't like someone in my face when I am not expecting it - neither does a dog. The point i am making (and no I am not making excuses) but its a very stupid thing to hone on your dog plant a huge smacker of a kiss if he/she does not want you in their space...like I said no excuse at all...my dod wouldn't do it...many wouldn't but some would!!!

10. snoopydo

snoopydo PetForums VIP

Yes, But Buster is'nt an Am.bulldog..I had an incident with 2 Am.Bulldogs ''on completely seperate occasions'' a couple of weeks ago. And I'll admit I was Scared to death so I'm very wary of visiting again..:( And I've got 31 yrs experience of working with Dogs :(

I don't want to tar them all with the same brush I know that there is Good and Bad in every breed but I've only ever met 2 Am.bulldogs and on both occassions it was not nice :confused1:

11. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum PetForums VIP

All dogs - like all people - have their thresholds, which can be highly individual. For one dog, hugging and kissing is fine - for another of the same breed (perhaps the same litter) that would irritate them to the point of anger. Dogs are not machines and no two are programmed the same.

Jean Donaldson's 'The Culture Clash' goes into this in a lot of detail, and explains very well how things can affect some individuals but not others.

For example, Dog A may be perfectly happy to be hugged by his owner but not so keen by strangers, but wouldn't complain.
    He is a bit wary of men wearing hats.
    He is not comfortable around children totally, but usually tolerates them very well and even likes to play with them as he finds them exciting and stimulating.
    He has been a reliable, trustworthy family dog for 6 years and never hurt a fly.
    One day, a child accompanied by a man wearing a hat, plays with him then tries to hug him.
    He bites - and everyone is shocked: But he is such a good dog! He's never done anything like that before!
    It's cumulative - just like the saying 'the last straw'.

That's a bit simplistic and a bodged example (probably) but without having the book to hand I can't elaborate further right now.

12. simplysardonic

simplysardonic Moderator
    Staff Member

Brilliant post MM the bold bit describes my Bob to a tee, think I may have to get that book out of the college library again & read it more thoroughy. Bob is good with my kids (all over 8) but is uncomfortable around younger children & I've noticed he actively avoids them, so I keep him away from young children

13. kerrybramble

kerrybramble PetForums VIP

Not being funny, the people will say the child did nothing wrong- she may have been jumping around and pulling the poor dog about and people wont admit to that because it is easier to blame the dog because of its breed and the breeds reputation! Children are always the innocents, but are usually the ones that have done something to upset the dog- am not saying all the time. and it isn't necessarily the child's fault because they arent educated on how to be around the dogs properly and people allow the dogs to become their child's climbing frame and then wonder why one day the dog retaliates??

sorry to sound harsh but its true in some cases! again, im not saqying it is in EVERY case but i just dont think every attack on a child is so black and white! why are the attacks we hear about always on a child aye?

14. simplysardonic

simplysardonic Moderator
    Staff Member

I wonder about that too TBH, they are often in the head/face area of the child. I'm surprised (well actually no I'm not!) the media haven't picked up on this & commented about the trend

15. danniehowens

danniehowens PetForums Junior

I agree its bad owners not bad dogs. these breeds are victimised and devilised by the media. we have a Irish staffie that is so soft she wouldnt hurt a fly. yet people who dont train there dogs or worse are the cause of these bad dogs. everyone goes crazy when it a so called devil dog. we forgetting a pomerainan mauled to death a baby in america and so many small dog attacks go unreported.
    not only that maybe the child did something. not so long ago a dog was put down for attacking a child it turned out when it was put down and medics looked at it a child had shoved a pencil down its ear.
    Stop blaming the dogs... they are born innocent we create monsters.

16. snoopydo

snoopydo PetForums VIP

Erm..Children are born innocent too..I think that comment is very Harsh..

17. SEVEN_PETS

SEVEN_PETS PetForums VIP

Also, I noticed on a baby advert once, there was a dog in the advert and the words above it said "something to hang onto". Basically, they are saying that a baby should hang onto a dog whilst it is learning to walk. It's a well known brand that had this advert. I thought it was disgraceful and just showed that dogs are seen as play things for children by some people.

18. snoopydo

snoopydo PetForums VIP

The parents should teach children to Respect Animals and Vice versa with Dogs,,,,,,,Just my opinion but some Breeds are just not suited to kids...To call Kids monsters is just not on I'm the Biggest Dog lover you'll ever meet I work with them Everday And I also know that some Dogs are also ''monsters'' It's not all one way....Some people are just too Blinkered and stick up for the Dogs all the time without a second thought. You get Bad Dogs and Bad kids alike...

I think it's obviously Down to The parents They Chose the Breed that the Child has got to live with afterall.

And also you don't know the Dog in this case nor do you know the Child so who are we to judge what caused it and who's fault it was.

Kerrybramble..Hit the nail on the Head......She mentions the Dogs Reputation....Why have a Breed with this Reputation in the same enviroment as a Child in the first place?

#18 snoopydo, Jun 14, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2010
  19. kota

kota PetForums Member

People often forget that dogs are animals. If they have very big and serious dog, they must isolate children and not allow to touch and kiss them. I often see that the pet's behaviour is the same as his family (people). When a man is kind, his pet is the same. If a man beats his pet, the pet does the same to other people or their children. (Sorry for my bad English).

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice