Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Another cat food thread :)

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by cherrie_b, Jun 29, 2010.

1. cherrie_b

cherrie_b PetForums VIP

I have been researching dry cat foods for my Lola and Oscar...when he gets here. Having seen that Bozita is highly recommended, I thought I would look for some...is this it??

Bozita Cat Food: Great Deals on Dry Cat Food at zooplus: Bozita Katty

Clearly it is in another language but I just wanted to see if anyone uses it and what their kitties think?? (Mind reading an advantage) :lol:

2. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Mind reading being quite clearly an advantage when it comes to kittens and eating.

While I rate Bozita wet to be a good food, I don't rate their dry food. Contains all sort of things, including rice, in unspecified quantities.

Check out orijen or acana (also available from zooplus). Though perhaps slightly more expensive, you only need a little compared to other foods, thereby making it an equivalent food to other cheaper brands. 75% meat content, no fillers.

Or check out ziwi peak from Bern pet foods. Not your average dry food but freeze dried wet. Although a bag costs £8, it contains 8 daily portions, so if you only feed dry then you feed a cat with £1 a day. Not bad me thinks!

3. cherrie_b

cherrie_b PetForums VIP

Thanks :) I bought 5 bags of Joe and Jills from Asda once...it was £2 a bag and my cats loved it. Lola especially loved it. I would like to get her some more but Asda don't sell it anymore. :( I would like to be able to walk into a shop and have a look and buy the food there and then.

Are there any good dry foods available in supermarkets? For example, Tesco do some good wet food but is their dry food of the same range as good?? I would like some dry food that is still moist...I know that Lola prefers it like this :)

4. messyhearts

messyhearts PetForums VIP

Orijen & the like are VERY expensive. If your budget doesn't meet that price then this is a good food. Don't be put off this kind of food if you can't afford the best dry food out there (most can't).

5. cherrie_b

cherrie_b PetForums VIP

What is the meat content?? I can't find it anywhere. Thanks :thumbup:

6. sarahdisco

sarahdisco PetForums VIP

Hi Cherrie_b

ASDA currently have the hi life essentials pate tins at 4 for £1 (or 33p each) . if your baby can handle these they have a relatively good meat content between 40-75 depending on the flavour. And for the same price as Felix!

Were trying Spartacus on them this week.

Sorry I didnt read the post properly - you were on about dry. Sorry!

#6 sarahdisco, Jun 29, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2010
  7. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

I know what you mean with just wanting to pick it up from the shelf and walking home with it without having the online ordering malarkey.

To my knowledge, none of the really good dry foods get sold in supermarkets. I think P@H may do applaws. If you are not keen on buying from German zooplus, then petplanet up in Scotland sells Joe and Jills dry food I believe. Joe and Jills also do good wet food but you need to buy that from directly I think.

With dry food I think it is so important that you don't feed brands that contain a lot of filler. A small percentage of rice or other grains I don't think matters (unless your cat has an insensitivity) but we are frequently talking 20% or more rice, which is unnecessary and of no use to cats. Only the manufacturing industry as it is cheap.

Considering how long a bag of dry food lasts, it may be worthwhile biting the bullet and ordering some good stuff online or check out there stockist list. Maybe there is one near you: Approved Stockists | Bern Pet Foods .co.uk

8. cherrie_b

cherrie_b PetForums VIP

I have the wet food sorted. I use Feline Fayre black tins. They are 3 for £1 and my kitty loves them. Costs me £5 a week to feed wet that way. :) My Lola does like pate so I will give it a try!! :) Lola isn't that fussy! :)

9. cherrie_b

cherrie_b PetForums VIP

Well...I imagine that the prices would go up if the best foods were sold in stores. I know that P@H do Applaws because I was looking at it the other day. P@H also do their own food...I feed their pates to my Lola. They are on offer at the minute, 2 for £1. They are 90% meat (I think) and one will last me a day. Although, I don't want to be feeding my kitten pates just yet. They do a matching dry food so I might get a little bag and try it.

What do you reckon to Royal Canin? I haven't looked at the ingredients but the vet recommended it to me. (Yes, he had it all over the reception LOL)

Thanks by the way. For taking time to answer my questions. :) :thumbup:

10. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Orijen and the like have a meat content of 75%.

As I said, it appears to be expensive. £20 for a 2.5kg bag. But you need 55g for a normal size cat a day. Which means that your 2.5kg bag is going to last you 45 days. Which means that it really only costs £0.44 to feed a cat a day on orijen. Since you also feed wet, you will need to feed even less and it will cost even less.

And for that money you get some darn good dry food.

Edit Royal Canin - have you seen their different bags depending on all sorts of different cat combinations etc etc. What a gimick. Full of filler. The indoor for example contains: Poultry meat, rice, maize, maize gluten, peas bran, poultry fat, poultry liver, dehydrated poultry proteins*, mineral salts, vegetable oil, dried beet pulp, fructo-oligo-saccharides, yeast, fish oil, trace elements, DL-methionine, sodium phosphates, taurine, extract of green tea and grapes (source of polyphenols), L-carnitine, vitamins.

A 2 kg bag costs £12. A normal cats needs 60g, so that is 33 feeds, which means £0.39 per meal per day. For only 5 p more and you can get orijen.

#10 hobbs2004, Jun 29, 2010
  11. sarahdisco

sarahdisco PetForums VIP

Cherrie, is this the one you mean?

Feline Fayre

Cant seem to link to the exact product but the one thats 3 tins packaged together?

I have a feeling that she isnt going to like Pate - I just put it down and she looked at me as if to say "wheres the jelly mum?!"

#11 sarahdisco, Jun 29, 2010
  12. cherrie_b

cherrie_b PetForums VIP

That didn't come up. But its 3 small tins in a cardboard wrap thing. It comes in chicken and ham strips, prawn and something or other and tuna and something. Lola likes them all...you only have to look at it to see that it is full of real meat. It has jelly too :)

13. Acacia86

Acacia86 PetForums VIP

I use Applaws. As its 80% meat content and no bad stuff. Its good for them and being dry can be left down. I 'free feed' my cats they always have biscuits down. As they are up in several high places the dog can't get to the food and the cats like this!!

I also use the Applaws wet tins for added variety (they are a complement food so can not be fed alone) again its food a human would eat! No nasty stuff.

Applaws to me is like raw without the raw! :lol: (mine refuse to do a completely raw diet) i wouldn't change now as it took so long to find a great food that its highly nutrious that they actually love!

Also they get raw and cooked meats and fish both boiled/grilled fish and raw fish.

Boiling fish in pure water and then using some of the water for the watering stations makes sure the cats drink plenty as they love the smell/taste of fishy water! (i only leave my water/fishy water mix down for an hour or so) Again if you like to treat your cats to tinned tuna once in a while then use the springwater variety and put some of the water from the tin into their water dishes as well as leaving the tuna very moist.

14. cherrie_b

cherrie_b PetForums VIP

hehe...well I will give it a go then. :) I will order a small bag first me thinks. I have a feeder thing that I fill up when it is empty. If it is really yummy they might eat me out of house and home. I won't be getting any until Oscar is big enough to eat the bigger biscuits...he isn't even here yet. :lol: He is on Arden Grange at the minute. So I will be sticking with that until I can see he is pooping properly and has had his vacc's etc. :)

15. cherrie_b

cherrie_b PetForums VIP

I used to feed Lola lots of raw food. I have stopped now though. The vet told me that he has had to remove several pieces of bone from several cats in the last year. Some have even died from bone pieces perforating the intestine. I would rather feed a good quality dry / wet food.

Anyway, I will get a little bag of Applaws too then. :)

16. FRAZ

FRAZ PetForums Member

Hi I stock Bozita, and it is all in english. We have many regular clients who feed ot to their cats.

Bozita Cat Food UK

17. FRAZ

FRAZ PetForums Member

Suitable Alternative to Orijen & Acana cat foods, and a more reasonable price is Meowing Heads,

Meowing Heads Cat Food UK

18. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

In all fairness, there is always a risk to feeding pet food - even with commercial products, you get recalls due contaminations , too many or missing ingredients etc etc.

Re the bones, I am wondering whether they fed bones that were too large for the cats or whether they even fed cooked bones.

Personally I don't see why you should stop feeding raw. Even if you are nervous about feeding bones, then just add ground eggshells for the calcium etc. Or feed smaller bones such quail, poussin, rabbit ribs or whole animals such as chicks and mice.

Just a thought!

19. Colette

Colette PetForums VIP

My boys eat mostly wet, but they also get Applaws dry which they love and get on really well with.
    Its available from Pets at Home and some other pet shops.

You can also get the fake applaws called "Encore" from Sainsbury, although from what I could tell they only sell the very small bags so it doesn't really work out any cheaper than buying Applaws in a larger bag.

With most of the high end dry foods though you usually have to feed less because they contain better nutrition, so they are not usually as expensive as they look.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice