Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Another breed thread from me - Springers/Cockers

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by McKenzie, Apr 20, 2011.

1. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Sorry about the abundance of breed threads from me at the moment! I'm trying to help my dad find the right dog for him.

He likes the idea of Springer and Cocker Spaniels. He lives on 1/4 acre and spends lots of time outside, but I know he wouldn't really do much more than one or one-and-a-half hours walking per day.

Am I right in thinking that a springer or cocker would go stir crazy on only an hour of walking a day, even with lots of outside time?

2. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

No a springer or cocker would be fine with that ammount of out door time as well, i always say its a case of quality with them and not quantity they need the right stimulation which is out doors with fields and woods to run in, rather than lead walks for miles now that would send them stir crazy.

I have springers and a cocker both breeds are lovely but tbh i wouldnt have another cocker, ive had 3 springers have 2 now and i much prefer the springer they are much easier to train much more eagre to please infact thats what the springer wants to do and thats please they are a fantasic breed, the cockers are much harder they have a very stubborn trait and can be very ignorant, they will do exactly what you say, when they want too.

3. holly2009

holly2009 Guest

Cockers all the way but I'm slightly biased :D
    I could go without walking Holly for months and she wouldn't bat an eye lid :eek: she is the laziest cuddle monster ever! Shes currently on her season so we don't walk her during this time and she isnt in the slightest bit bothered!
    Shes been a dream since 8 weeks old, absolutely fab with my two young boys 2&5 who have grown up with her.....she's nearly 2!
    Shes quite food orientated so training has been amazing! Sit, stay, spin, paw, beg etc ( recall is a tad patchy if she gets a fuss from strangers - which she always does) :rolleyes::
    Werre a member of a cocker forum and have been on quite a few meet ups! One had around 17 mainly cockers off lead, not one grumble was amazing!
    :)

4. henry

henry PetForums VIP

Henry is a working cocker - 3 years old. He is the most fantastic, loveable dog. I make sure he gets around 2 hours exercise per day (almost all off lead in woods/fields). He is a very good dog at home - no trouble at all. I do think around 2 hours exercise is ideal, although some dogs may not need as much, but if you can work on that sort of time, I'm sure he'd be fine. I love Springers as well, but never had one myself.

5. RAINYBOW

RAINYBOW PetForums VIP

That is perfectly adequate for either breed, if he is concerned at all the working strains tend to need less mental stimulation.

Both breeds IMO like company and i think this is more important than hours and hours of walking a day (however they obviously still need a reasonable amount of exercise) My cocker gets about an hour to hour and half a day and will go a day without a walk but gets a bit "chewy" if he has to go 2 days without :)

6. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

This is looking good :thumbup:

Two more questions - Do you consider them high/medium/low shedders?

Also, is there much difference between the English and Welsh SS? I can see a few physical differences and colour - is that it? Is the English the more common one?

ETA: Sorry one more question - I've seen some stuff about sudden unprovoked aggression. Is this really something to worry about?

#6 McKenzie, Apr 20, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2011
  7. haeveymolly

Dont know anything about the welsh tbh with you, they do shed i would say medium when you compare to say the labrador, my friend has a lab and you can actually see the loose hair alover her back and when you wipe your hand down her back theres handsful the sp or cocker arnt like that.

8. RAINYBOW

RAINYBOW PetForums VIP

My show cocker and our old show springer i would have to say are pretty high.

Their coats can be very dense but this can be managed with regular 6 weekly clips at around £35 and regular brushing which mine hates so we just live with a mammouth :rolleyes:.

9. SpringerHusky

SpringerHusky PetForums VIP

Pretty much everyone answered but i'll add some of my own.

Springers are a medium shedders at least compared to own a malamute :lol:

Welshies tend to crazier (not in a bad way) than english although i've not owned one i've met some fantastic ones, my favourite is actually owned by the coordinator of english springer spaniels in the southwest. We bumped into the lovable welshie and he was determined to get cuddles from everyone :lol:

Show type are much calmer in both springers and cockers so tend to be easier for most people.

10. kat&molly

kat&molly PetForums VIP

I've only got my Molly Springer to go on, I know I'm biased but shes fab. I love Cockers but not sure if I can cope with the more stubborn part I always read about. Moll's always had a reliable recall- its the one thing that worries me
    Everyone said I was mad to have a Springer- but they were wrong.
    Welshies so I've read are also stubborn- but I've no experience.
    Molly hasa really fine coat at the minute, shes spayed, doesn't moult too much- I'm told she'll get thicker.

11. cinnamontoast

cinnamontoast Sois pas chiant, chéri.

An hour a day is fine. My adult springer has slowed right down in the past year, he's 8. :(. He's from working stock and highly trainable.

Rage is spoken about with Springers-Jake would growl if picked up after an unfortunate incident at the vets and Zak (very high energy) is somewhat fear aggressive (am utterly gutted and off to see someone about this, it's only when he's on lead and someone surprises him:() Bear, his brother, (cuddly, not very high energy) is a bit scared of people but soppy. Both were bred as pets, as were dam and grand dam. Trainable but have driven me to the edge frankly, unlike my first two.

My FIL's springer was mental and would attack through the window if I got too close. The dog's brother was gorgeous, tho.

My point is that all springers are different: make sure he picks the not so mad one from a litter if he's going for a pup.

12. SEVEN_PETS

SEVEN_PETS PetForums VIP

I walk Ollie for about an hour to hour and half a day (split into two walks). He'll happily just walk around the streets and not need off lead exercise for days, and happily makes do with the garden. He's a show type cocker so I wouldn't expect a working type cocker to accept this. :D

I love cockers, but I don't think I would have another one. They are such hard work to get into adulthood. I'm finally happy with Ollie now but he's 3 years old next month, and its been a hell of a struggle to get there. :rolleyes: I would recommend springers more, but the show type because of the exercise amount.

I'd consider cockers to be low shedders. Ollie hardly sheds at all and if you keep on top of brushing and clipping, then they rarely shed on your furniture or clothes.

13. XxZoexX

XxZoexX PetForums VIP

I love my little cross hes perfect.. Honest :eek:
    No he really is good, an absolute dream to train, He loves it (LLW is a bug bear)
    But at very nearly 10 months can see the teenager in him tho it hasnt been dramatic (yet)
    Like everyone says the breeds are amazing but they still are all differant :)

14. haeveymolly

Ime not bias to either breed as i own boh springer and cocker, but i would certainly go for the springer.

15. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Great, thanks everyone. I'll let you know what he decides :)

16. XxZoexX

XxZoexX PetForums VIP

i have said the same tbh, Though cockers are gorgeous.. i have enough with stubborn kids :lol:

17. ChatterPuss

ChatterPuss PetForums VIP

I would agree. It is not just physical exercise that the springer requires, but mental stimulation to tire them out I.e through training/ taxing their brains etc!
    If going for a springer, look for what that is not from a working background but from a show or pet background which should be calmer ( Or as calm as you can get with a springer!!)

#17 ChatterPuss, Apr 20, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2011
  18. haeveymolly

Ha Ha ye know what you mean. I love both my springers and cocker equally but given the choice the springers tick every box.

19. haeveymolly

Mine are working and they are calm, the right food and exercise and i dont think it makes much difference, it is said that the working are easier to train dont know how true that is maybe it is as mine have been a dream to train.

20. kat&molly

kat&molly PetForums VIP

People say my Molly is 'glad to be alive', I agree and would love to come back as a Springer. Food is definatly important , I know now:D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice