Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Another 2 cases of Alabama Rot

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by fernlady, Jan 6, 2018.

1. fernlady

fernlady PetForums VIP

Another 2 cases reported - 1 in Lickey Hills (near Bromsgrove) & another much closer to home. My OH cousin's friend lost their chocolate lab :( He'd been walked around Sutton Cheney Wharf/Bosworth Battlefield area, had his breakfast & was gone by lunchtime.

2. Team_Trouble

Team_Trouble PetForums VIP

Oh that is just awful :( I'm so sorry to hear that

fernlady likes this.
  3. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

I didn't realise it could happen so fast.

FeelTheBern and fernlady like this.
  4. fernlady

fernlady PetForums VIP

I'm not sure what date he was walked there & they are awaiting post-mortem results at the moment.

5. fernlady

fernlady PetForums VIP

Sorry, I re-read my post & it sounded like he'd been walked that same morning.

JoanneF likes this.
  6. dorrit

dorrit PetForums VIP

How awful. I hope the cause and some decent treatment is found against this soon. To date there has never been a case here but we all know its just a matter of time.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  7. Sairy

Sairy PetForums VIP

:( the Lickey Hills is just up the road from where my parents live (and where I grew up).

8. Mirandashell

Mirandashell Banned

It's not fair from me either. Fingers crossed.

9. MaggiesMom

MaggiesMom PetForums Senior

I'm only about 20 mins from Bosworth.
    Very worrying, we're sticking to dry walks or pavements for the foreeeable :(

10. Sairy

Sairy PetForums VIP

Unfortunately that isn't really an option for us. Holly needs plenty of free-running. We've just been washing her down after walks and checking her over regularly.

11. fernlady

fernlady PetForums VIP

12. fernlady

fernlady PetForums VIP

@Sairy we've been using one of these for the last 3 years. Not because of the AR reports but it's easier than when we get home. Filled up with hot tap water before we leave & luke warm by the time we get back to the car.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hozelock-L...5259910&sr=8-1&keywords=hozelock+porta+shower

13. Sairy

Sairy PetForums VIP

fernlady likes this.
  14. fernlady

fernlady PetForums VIP

It's brilliant, loads of people have stopped & asked us in the car park where we got it from.

Sairy likes this.
  15. CheddarS

CheddarS PetForums VIP

Yes Lickey is near us, rumour is a case in Worcester Woods as well. I hope not as it is one of my "safe" walks

16. DaisyBluebell

DaisyBluebell Earth, the insane asylum of the Universe

Wow brilliant, you ought to get a finders fee for this, I'm going yo order one tomorrow. Thank you so much.
    I do wished they would find out exactly what's causing this awful thing. Emma is off lead whenever we are able to let her and is a sod for running through puddles or trying to drink from them :(.

fernlady likes this.
  17. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

There was a case just up the road from us last year the dog had aparenly only been walked in the local cemetry and in the playing fields neither of which are wooded areas or particulary muddy. There are loads of dogs walked on the playing fields but there has only been 1 reported case.

18. Happy Paws

Happy Paws PetForums VIP

It's getting a little worrying as it seems more cases are been reported, Bromsgrove isn't that far away from us.

19. dorrit

dorrit PetForums VIP

We have one of these for Murphy which was fine in the spring /summer now its so muddy we fill two clean watering cans with fairly hot water before we leave and by the time we get back its lukewarm and we can really give Murphy a good washing down in the driveway.

20. 8tansox

8tansox PetForums VIP

AR is VERY difficult to catch. I know that doesn't help those whose dog's have it already but, around 3 years ago, I had a dog here for training, within 10 days the dog had been diagnosed with AR, and was sadly put to sleep. Now at the time of her lessons here, she had only shown one tiny cut on her leg, which her owners thought was a result of thorn in the garden. The dog had not been walked in woodland areas. Needless to say, once the diagnosis had been made, I contacted my vet to ask them about the risks to my own dogs and those who also came for training. We didn't wash the dog's legs or paws, we didn't know it was advisable, we didn't even know she had this dreaded disease at that time, however, not one of our dogs became ill as a result of this. So whereas I would urge people to be aware, it isn't easy to get / catch so to speak. I shall try and find some pictures taken of the dog with the lesions, but as I have said, it was 3 years ago or more...

1. Dog trained here with small cut on front leg.
    2. Wound didn't heal, opened up slightly.
    3. Dog taken to vet, a/b's administered.
    4. Dog became lethargic, back to vet, blood tests taken, dog sent home to await results.
    5. Dog collapsed and taken back to vet later that day, put on drip.
    6. Vet and owner noticed lesions were getting larger and more of them... AR was discussed.
    7. Dog sent home because there were no signs of sickness and she had improved slightly.
    8. Vet called because dog had vomited. Dog taken back to vet and put back on drip. Dog deteriorated quickly and put to sleep following day after vomiting. Complete renal failure. This all happened in 10 days from noticing the first cut/lesion on front leg.

Sorry I don't want to scare anyone, but I do want to make people aware of how rare and difficult AR is. Dreadful experience watching a healthy young dog deteriorate so quickly.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice