Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Annual vacinations yes or No?

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Nina, Nov 27, 2007.

1. Dawny

Dawny PetForums Member

Then why the **** are we advising every 12 months lol? Excuse my ill informed knowledge, I am but a wee student! :eek:

2. jan-c

jan-c Guest

Thanks for the info Dr Dan. It is something to think about but what are your views on the lepto vaccine? As far as I am aware (and I am no expert) Isn't the lepto vaccine given in this country different from that given in the USA. Maybe I am wrong it is just something I have been told. I just know that in all the different studies there is little mention of this vaccine. Until someone proves otherwise to me then I will at least continue to boost lepto every year. I do intend to have blood tests next year to determine the titre level but I believe there is no test to determine antibodies for leptospirosis.

3. Dr Dan

Dr Dan PetForums Newbie

Unfortunately at this time the duration for lepto is only one year. Here the states it is very regional. If you live in an area that has lepto you give the vaccine, if not you don't. UK has a lot of lepto from what I understand.

Now the question is...which type of lepto is prevalent in the UK? Dogs contract two types of lepto and unless a new vaccine has come out in the last year only one is covered by the vaccine.

4. Dr Dan

Dr Dan PetForums Newbie

Dawny,

quick response - I do not know!
    real response - because that is the way it has always been.

research supported response - Duration of immunity (DOI) and booster vaccination...[Vet Microbiol. 2006] - PubMed Result

It seems to be an attitude thing in the UK and if it is similar to what has occurred here in the US...money is a big factor. And no it is not because vets are greedy but rather here in the states the average veterinary practice obtains 33% of its gross income from vaccines! Now we are going to cut that into a third or more! Vets with bad business sense are going to be out of business.

5. jan-c

jan-c Guest

Thanks for the reply, very interesting. I am not sure which type is prevalent in the uk but will talk this over with my vet next week as I have an appointment. It's a good job he is patient because I bombard him with questions at each visit:D
    I will let you know what he says. Thank you again for your input I find this a very interesting subject and we all want to do the very best for our dogs.

6. noubi

noubi PetForums Member

can anybody tell me in any of their research if they have found it more in black and tan dogs, i had a vet who said research showed that rotties and similar dogs with that colour are more prone to parvo evenwith vaccines, anyone else found this.?

7. plumo72

plumo72 PetForums VIP

My dogs and my Mum's dogs have never had boosters and have been very healthy and lived until good ages :)

8. Eolabeo

Eolabeo Guest

My younger 2 have their boosters yearly, my old girl has'nt had hers for a gd few years now.

9. Nina

Nina PetForums VIP

I notice that parvo virus keeps reoccurring in this thread, so thought my sharing my experience may be appropriate.

My first GSD, who received all his vaccinations, contracted parvo when he was 10 months old. It was a miracle that he survived. The vet was constantly telling us not to worry since it was actually gastric enteritis, yet on the third visit when he started to hemorrhage, he was rushed into intensive care and kept in isolation. Our little rescue bitch had been subjected to this (she had also been vaccinated), and it was suggested that she received yet another shot "just to be safe". Being completely ignorant of vaccines we took the vets advice and three days later she was dead.

This was however, 23 years ago, and I am sure that modern vaccines have far more protection. Personally, we have decided to rescue in future, but I will definitely ask my vet for the titer test, since I will not subject my dogs to the constant barrage of shots and therefore put their lives in danger.

1 person likes this.
  10. Nina

Nina PetForums VIP

Parvo virus is just abysmal and that smell will haunt me. My dog was I thought, literally dying in front of my eyes and still the vet would do nothing! To think that I subjected my little rescue bitch to yet another vaccination haunts to me to this day. She was with Ben throughout, and basically had little or no chance of survival.

Needless to say we changed our vet and never returned.

11. Dawny

Dawny PetForums Member

Vets need proof because a vaccine card is a legal document. They aren't allowed to assume a dog's been vaccinated without it so don't take offense! Also, if a dog hasn't been vaccinated, it's not fair to expose them to other ill dogs in the ward.

12. Eolabeo

Eolabeo Guest

i didnt take offence, i just wondered!.
    and yes, i agree with not exposing an unvacinated dogs to other ill dogs and visa versa..

13. Nina

Nina PetForums VIP

Loe, I rather think that it was our vet at that time, that was responsible for the death of our little rescue bitch. To think that we found her with her sister in a cardboard box by the railway station just 8 months before.

I cannot tell you how angry we were and changed vets immediately. However, that does not bring your much loved dog back!

14. Nina

Nina PetForums VIP

Loe, in my work you see all manner of things, and in order to help animals, you must put them first and try to hold your feelings in check.

I have witnessed rabbits that are being eaten alive all because their owners keep them in tiny hutches, with little or no cleaning. Rats kept alone when they are community animals as are rabbits. The worse case scenario - I will not go there as its upsetting in the extreme.

15. Dawny

Dawny PetForums Member

Rabbits do not need other rabbits. Mine has the dog and 2 cats and of course us humans lol! What is your line of work? I see all sorts of horrible things too. The worst I think was a newfoundland who had a wound on his back which had been left open for so long that it was filled with maggots which were eating him alive... needless to say he was put to sleep.

16. Nina

Nina PetForums VIP

Dawny, I run a pet sitting company, but have worked with animals for most of my adult life.

Rabbits live in communities, as do rats and should ideally have a companion. I am not down crying people who keep 1 rabbit or 1 rat, just trying to highlight how they live in the wild, and what a lonely existence it is for them being alone.

The rabbit I was using as my example had fly strike on two occasions, and eventually I suggested very strongly that the owners vet tried to educate them on good husbandry for their rabbit. The hutch was so small and always covered, so he never saw daylight and could hardly turn around. Why these hutches are legal is beyond me!

The worse case scenario I have seen, with regard to cruelty, was a male dog that had been sexually abused. It was sickening. His behaviour was totally erratic when meeting strangers and he turned circles to the point of exhaustion. When the owner took him for a vet check, an internal examination took place and the damage was then discovered.

17. Dawny

Dawny PetForums Member

It depends on the rabbit though too. A lot of them fight. Like I said, mine has company 24/7 although we only have 1 rabbit.

18. Nina

Nina PetForums VIP

Loe,

Please do NOT run out and get another rat as a result of my previous thread. You must remember that your rat is now unused to company, and there could be problems introducing a newbie.

The whole point of that post was to say in an ideal world, people who want pets that live in communities, should consider homing two instead of one. Rats are extremely sociable creatures, as you know, especially boys, and there are cases where two will fight regardless.

So I would stick with her, and enjoy your little girl, since I am sure she is happy and content with you. Likewise with Dawny and her rabbit.

I had two female rats, and when one died (she was very young), I knew that Sophie would not fare well on her own, so I took her along to a rescue centre where I was told a male rat was awaiting a new home. It was an instant hit, and once he had been snipped, they lived together like an old married couple. It really was a match made in heaven. You should always remember to introduce any new friend outside of a pets established territory. The first few meetings should also be supervised, until harmony is achieved.

19. Eolabeo

Eolabeo Guest

ty for that nina :)

even tho i would of loved a new one as much as i do my lil girly rat, ild rather not of got another one to tell the truth.
    i just thought after reading the thread that she needed a new mate.
    she really is happy on her own, its not like she is stuck in her home 24/7, shes always happy to come out and is out more times then she is in .

20. Nina

Nina PetForums VIP

I had this awful thought that you may be dashing out to get another little rat and your current one, swinging her round the head with her bedding lol

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice