Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Annual vacinations yes or No?

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Nina, Nov 27, 2007.

1. Nina

Nina PetForums VIP

I would very much appreciate your thoughts in this matter since I am extremely suspicious about annual injections for my dog.

I think that most people will agree that initial vaccinations should be administered. However, is there really a need to subject our pets to annual boosters?

How much revenue is created from this process, I suspect a large amount when you take into consideration the cost each year! Before I have any of my puppies vaccinated for the first time, I ask my vet to carry out a complete health check to insure if they are well enough.

My GSD has not had any vaccinations now for over 6 years, since research in the States has suggested that boosters are only required every 5 - 6 years. I also worry that his state of health would not cope with another vaccination and I do not wish to further add to his problems.

From a personal view, I honestly feel that our vets do over vaccinate. What are your thoughts? After all, I do not know of any child or person who is subjected to this.

mell-e-c likes this.
  2. carol

carol PetForums VIP

hi same with me my dogs have their first lot and then the booster then thats it sprinkle now 11 1/2 years old and he never suffered from it

my old dog i had from child hood only ever had his first as well and he died well into his 15's never had a days of illness oh except a ear infection and thats it

like you said we dont have boosters every year
    and a fit healthly dog has a good system to fight any infections they pick up
    vets like to make money they are willing to give out med's like sweets and charge you alot for it

3. Vixie

Vixie PetForums VIP

I have all my animals vaccinated at first, my eldest dog who is 13 now only ever had the first two and has never needed the vets. I believe that the vets just want to make money, the problem is that alot of the insurance companies require you to have them done, so what choice do we have. My younger dogs are insured so I am forsed into having them done.

4. carol

carol PetForums VIP

the insurance companies are just as bad as some of the vets
    you pay out and then when its your turn to claim it back they turn round and oh you cant claim for this and that and you end up thinking well why the hell have i got the insurance for in the first place i have only my 2 oldest dogs on insurance i did have all but was thinking why pay out insurance in jazz 6 years i ever only claimed for a small whole that he got.
    and as for the others never claimed on them at all
    so before jazz's 7th birthday i will get him insured because they do get ill as they get old
    then again i might not

5. georges mummy

georges mummy PetForums Member

all mine are jabbed every year. first off for insurance who touch wood have paid out every time.
    secondly my neighbours dog was put to sleep last year because he caught parvo through no boosters.
    i dont think its worth the risk of them being sick not having their jabs done.

6. growler1961

growler1961 PetForums Junior

all our dogs have their jabs every year:)
    i do think we should ask more questions about the need for them every 12months!:confused:
    but i wouldnt be prepared to take the risk! at this present time
    it does leave me a little concerned to think that there are dogs with out protection , if all dogs were done then nobody would suffer the loss of a pet to preventable disease , a friend of mine lost a pup with parvo both owner & pup went through a living hell its never worth the risk :mad:

7. BredaKim

BredaKim PetForums Member

Mine have been done every year...I also wonder about the need for it, but as I'm breeding Megan I have to have her done or any reputable breeder won't touch her with a barge pole...can hardly blame them really.
    I do sometimes wish I had become a vet...think of all that money they make :eek: I could be living a life of luxury now :rolleyes: <sigh>

8. jeanie

jeanie PetForums VIP

I only had my last gsd done as a pup and had the booster she lived to be 13yrs and never needed a vet , Now im undecided weather to have my two gsd pups done every year as i have read so much on the net againsed every year im very confused about it all. most say four or five years is enough and the vets are just making money, then some say it must be done Im just totally confused about the whole thing.

9. Dr Dan

Dr Dan PetForums Newbie

Let me shed a little light on the subject with a little education. I am a veterinarian from the U.S. and have really focused on educating dog owners about the problems with annual vaccination.

First you need to understand how vaccines work. When a vaccine is given to your dog the body acts like it has been infected with the disease of the vaccine and it produces antibodies. It is the antibodies that protect against an actual infection. As long as the antibodies are in the dogs body the dog will be protected. And that is where the research comes in. A duration study is one that tests how long antibodies stay around or last in the body. In the past drug companies were only testing for one year because that was all they were required to test. Why would they test longer they would lose money if the antibodies stay around longer? Well duration studies done independently by veterinarians such as Dr. Ron Schultz of the University of Wisconsin-Madison show that the antibodies for the diseases of Distemper, Parvo and Hepatitis stay in the dogs body between 6 and 9 years. Which means that a dog is protected against those diseases after proper vaccination for that long of a time period. In fact some of the research indicated that a few dogs are actually protected longer than that. The 6 to 9 years is only an average, which means some dogs are protected longer and some dogs less than that as well.

So now comes the problem. You see annual vaccination has side effects. Really bad side effects. In recent studies it has been implicated that annual vaccination causes an overstimulation of the immune system which in turn causes diseases such as allergies, autoimmune diseases (the body attacking itself such as in AutoImmune Hemolytic Anemia), and even cancer. In fact in cats it has been proven that annual vaccination causes a specific type of cancer. Anecdotal evidence by myself and many many other veterinarians is showing that if you have a dog with allergies giving them a vaccination will stimulate an allergic episode and that if you do not vaccinate the dog anymore the allergic episodes reduce in frequency and severity. I personally have had dogs with horrible skin allergies make a complete recovery by changing their diet and no longer giving vaccines.

My vaccination recommendations now - complete series of puppy vaccines then a booster a year later, then titers (a blood test to determine the level of antibodies in the dog) every three years to determine if the dog still has antibodies in their system. If they do then they are protected against the disease and do not require a booster. If the antibody level is low then the dog receives a vaccine of that disease.

It has been difficult to change a procedure that has been pushed hard for so many years, even many veterinarians are fighting the change to the new vaccine protocols, so I can only imagine what it does to owners. The insurance companies will discontinue their requirements of annual vaccinations when it becomes pretty much common knowledge that annual vaccination will cost them more money in the long run by treating for allergies, autoimmune diseases and cancer. They will require puppy vaccines and then boosters every three years. I still do not like that protocol but it is better than annual vaccinations.

10. Nina

Nina PetForums VIP

THANK YOU so much for your input Dr Dan, since this statement has been a long time coming!

I know of so many cases where dogs have died as a result of having these yearly boosters, which cause so many side affects.

I would very much appreciate if you could send me your full report to include on my website. My email address is [email protected] It will be just the amnuition I need to tackle some of these veterinary establishment who continue to put money before the health of the dog.

11. growler1961

growler1961 PetForums Junior

this infomation has left me wanting to know more
    yesterday i was affraid not to vacinate
    but today after reading this report now realising you can have a test to see if it is needed im having a total chance of mind
    do you know if this is available in england:confused:
    as the report was from america
    im sure my vet will not be in favor
    i do breed so i would have testing done for sure:)

12. noubi

noubi PetForums Member

it didnt happen to be a rottie by any chance did it?

13. Jenny Olley

Jenny Olley PetForums VIP

What a brilliant informative post Dr Dan, the trouble is we can only base any decisions on evidence that is made available, sometimes this is not forthcoming. We have not yearly vaccinated our dogs for approx 3 years now, as our eldest dog had a bad reaction 2 years running, and we thought we were running out of warnings.

I don't think all insurance companies insist on yearly jabs, we have a dog at our club, who i know is insured, but gets titer tested every year, so far she has all the antibodies needed and has not needed further vaccinations

14. Nina

Nina PetForums VIP

In England, we are frightened into subjecting our dogs to annual vaccinations, and it really is unfair and also puts the heath of our beloved dogs at risk.

I have had many a heated debate with vets on this subject, but ask yourselves how much do they make each year by vaccinating 1 dog alone. I believe approximately £50.00. How many dog and cats are they in this country?

It really is up to us as responsible owners to campaign until something is done. There is a wonderful book written by Catherine O'Driscoll entitled What Vets Dont Tell You About Vaccinations.

I intend to continue my research on this subject and would love to hear from any dog/cat owner who has suffered an allergic reaction from vaccinations to help strengthen my case.

15. carol

carol PetForums VIP

you can get the test here my friend had hers tested to see if he needed the vaccinations due to him starting to have a reaction to the injections

16. Dawny

Dawny PetForums Member

Argh vaccinate your dogs every 12 months! It depends on the brand of vaccination too. I'm sure they are very different in the US! Our vaccine Duramune DaPPi lasts 12 months. You would seriously think differently if you had seen the amount of dogs die from parvo that I have. They are not nice deaths. I have never seen a dog have a bad reaction to a vaccine other than a temperature and feeling a bit 'off'.

17. jan-c

jan-c Guest

I too have been one of the many who has thought long and hard over the pros and cons of vaccinations on a yearly basis. I have a brilliant vet who is from New Zealand, not out to make money he has always been very truthfull with me and I can honestly say he is the best vet I have ever had.
    We talked at length on this subject and though he vaccinates each year he uses different combinations each time so that each vaccine is actually only given 2 yearly with the exception of the leptospirosis which needs to be given each year. He is also quite happy to do blood tests if clients prefere but stresses the importance of the lepto vaccine.
    There was a severe outbreak of parvo in my area this year and every single dog that passed through my vets with this dreadful desease was un-vaccinated.

18. Dr Dan

Dr Dan PetForums Newbie

Dawny,

I am sorry to hear that you have seen so many parvo cases. My guess from completely unvaccinated dogs. Your vaccine Duramune DaPPi is made by Fort Dodge an American company. It is the exact same as the one given here, which means the duration of immunity is much longer than one year.

The facts are the facts, your dogs in England do not have weaker immune systems than those in the US, the vaccine does exactly the same thing. What you are missing is that it is NOT the vaccine that lasts that long, it is the dogs immune system responding to that vaccine, producing antibodies, which is what protects the dog. The antibodies in the dog last for a certain period of time in dogs for Parvo antibodies last on average from 7 to 9 years.

Here is a link to a study done by a drug company in 2005. Now mind you this is a drug company with a strong bias to show that vaccines have less duration not more. The study was conducted only for 3 years. 100% of the dogs were protected after those three years from hepatitis, parvo and distemper. And this is only one study there are several more showing similar or even better results.

Three-year duration of immunity in dogs following ...[Vet Ther. 2005] - PubMed Result

19. Dr Dan

Dr Dan PetForums Newbie

I also forgot to mention that we are not talking short term reactions to vaccines here. The research shows long term effects not short term. Cancer, Allergies, and Autoimmune Hemolytic Anemia are not caused by a reaction to a single vaccine but rather long term multiple vaccines.

20. Dr Dan

Dr Dan PetForums Newbie

There are vets here in the states doing the same thing only going every three years. Giving parvo the first year, distemper the second, and hepatitis the third and then starting over with parvo again. I see this could still be a problem since it is actually the adjuvants in the vaccine stimulating the immune system and you would still be giving that every year. I personally like titering and since we have several years of data now we are pretty sure the results are accurate as to protective levels of antibodies.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice