Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Annual Vaccination due - advice please.

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Annealise, Jan 15, 2021.

1. Annealise

Annealise PetForums Member

My two year old cat’s annual booster vaccination is due soon. He has IBD and previously has had abnormal kidney function bloods that have now returned to normal range. I have read that vaccinations should only be given to healthy cats.

My cat is an indoor cat with supervised access to the garden in the summer.

Would like to know members views on this please.

2. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Hi @Annaliese - my cat with IBD has had annual vaccination boosters with no problem.

Cats I have had in the past with abnormal kidney function due to chronic kidney disease have all been senior cats over the age of 14 and I don't usually get any of my senior cats vaccinated anyway, [as they very probably have enough antibodies to protect them.]

In Shinji's case as his kidney function is now normal - if he were one of mine I would let him have the booster seeing as he is only 2 yrs old and his antibody level may not be high.

If you are worried about it ask the vet to do an antibody test first for all the usual viruses that are vaccinated for.. If his antibody levels are high he may not need a booster. But for any cat who may need to be placed in a cattery, most catteries expect the cat to have up-to-date core vaccinations with documentary proof of such.

Annealise likes this.
  3. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

I can only give you my opinion on this subject which I will add has my vets backing.
    Meeko is an indoor cat with IBD as I think most folks will know by now .He also reacts badly to lots of medication etc so as he is at very low risk he has not had a booster vaccination since he was 14/15 months old.
    He had his initial kitten vaccinations and first booster but has had none since then and he will be 11 years young next month .
    Having boosters may or may not upset his system but I don't like the idea of putting unnecessary chemicals into his body and see no point in taking the risk of him reacting badly.

Annealise and spotty cats like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice