Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Annual jabs - is this safe?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by CharlieChaplin, Sep 14, 2013.

1. CharlieChaplin

CharlieChaplin PetForums VIP

When we rescued our two they had their flu and enteritis jabs done in September 2012,

We got their leukaemia done in January 2013.

When should I get their boosters done? I phoned the vets to double check they first said said January, then said ASAP when i told them they had their flu &ent jab in September 2012.

But when we got their leukaemia jab the vet said October!

I am a little confused and worried if I get them done too early it could cause them harm.

2. CharlieChaplin

Oops - I meant to put this in cat health and nutrition!

3. MCWillow

MCWillow PetForums VIP

Blossom had her leukemia jab later than her initial jobs, and my vet said it would be OK to give her all her boosters at the same time, when her initial one is due.

I would ring the vets again, tell them the boosters are due now, but they didnt have the leaukemia one til later - they might want you to take them later for leukemia, but their other boosters should be done now :)

4. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

I would never give more than one vaccine to my cats at a time. Spread them out qa few weeks apart.

Unless they go outside, or you foster or breed, the leukemia vaccine is not necessary at all.

Kitten series done at 3-4 months, then one year later a booster, then no more ever, for indoor cats not ever exposed to other cats (since if you are in the UK you don't have rabies)

5. Laurac

Laurac PetForums VIP

Unless there is a chance your cat may need to go into a cattery - then vaccs need to be kept up to date.

6. CharlieChaplin

Thanks :) I will get them done asap but tell the vet when we are there about the different dates etc. Even tho it should be on file.

The receptionist said to get them done before the end of the month (I presume there is a few weeks leeway) So I will try and book them in for the 24th as that is my first free day. See which they want done and when.

My cats do go outside into my garden, so I will have leukaemia done just in case and we may need to put them in a cattery one day!

7. sskmick

sskmick PetForums VIP

Not strictly true, the cattery where mine go to know my cats are indoors they also know I have a strong opinion of the Leukemia vaccine and are happy to board them. All their other vaccines are up to date. :)

For insurance purposes, all vaccs including the leukemia vaccine needs to be up to date. I don't have pet insurance never have (different topic - sorry).

OP a couple of years ago my cats were erroneous given the leukemia boosters and had a severe adverse reaction. It was members on here that couldn't understand the problem with my cats but could if they had had the Leukemia one. That made me look at their vaccination card and sure enough they had been given the leukemia vaccine.

If I were you I'd wait until December at least, before having the booster.

8. CharlieChaplin

O gosh, I am all in a tizz now!

I think I may just get the flu and enteritis done asap, then wait un till January to get their Leukaemia done! But will ask my vets for advice. I don't want to harm them!

MC Willow - what was blossoms time difference between her jabs?

9. sskmick

sskmick PetForums VIP

Don't be in a tiz, my boys didn't have the initial leukemia jab.

All I am saying is that I wouldn't have all the vaccines done at once. At the end of the day you need to take your vet's advice. They will not harm your cat.

The young vet who slipped up with my boys cost the practice a lot of money because I got the lot back. I was expecting reimbursement of the leukemia vaccine but they reimbursed me the lot. There is no way vets would indiscriminately vaccinate pets to have to give everyone their money back, or worse have owners suing them. :)

10. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

This is not the case with Pet Plan not sure of other insurance company's though.
    Meeko (indoor cat) has had his initial kitten vaccines and 1st year booster and is now on the 3 year vaccination regime.I checked with PP and they confirmed that only an illness that the vet confirmed could have been prevented with vaccinations would be excluded from the policy.

11. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Can't fully agree with that. Not ALL vets are clueless but some will push over vaccinating. The key is to have an open give and take partnership with the attending vet. If you can't discuss your concerns with your vet about over vaccinating, and/or a vet simply dismisses your concerns instead of respecting them and addressing them, you need a new vet.

12. CharlieChaplin

I just don't know enough about vaccinations to feel confident to have a conversation with the vets. I would just take their advice. I am happy to take them twice a year.. But in my situation I would have to take their word as gospel. I just want what's best for my cats health.

13. havoc

havoc PetForums VIP

That really is going some. What's your protocol if you are giving separate vaccines? What are the cost implications of separating the core vaccines out and, probably more interesting, which brand of vaccine do you use? I know you can give the enteritis separately but I didn't know you could find individual vaccines for herpesvirus and calici.

14. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

I'm not talking about separating combo vaccines. The FVRCP, a three way combo vaccine, is one vaccine, containing protection against three diseases: feline herpes (FVR, aka viral rhinotracheitis, often called cat flu in the UK) calcivirus (C) and Panleukopenia (P, aka distemper). This vaccine, (along with the rabies vaccine) is considered a 'core' vaccine in most of the USA.

(Incidentally I would not allow the four way combo, which contains the above vaccines, plus chlamydia, to be used on my cats.)

What I mean is I would not allow any cat or kitten to receive both the FVRCP and the rabies vaccines on the same day. IF I vaccinated for other things such as feline leukemia, I would separate that one, too, but I do not vaccinate against FeLV.

My cats receive the kitten series of FVRCP, then a year later one booster of FVRCP, and they are protected for life. They get the PureVax rabies vaccine annually, only because it is required by law.

While they are going through the initial FVRCP series, and when they get the one year booster, they do not get the rabies booster at the same time. I bring them back 2 weeks later for that. There is no extra charge to bring a cat in for only a vaccination, if the cat has already had her exam.

After doing some reading I am thinking that those of you talking about vaccinating for 'enteritis' mean distemper (panleukopenia), which as I mentioned, usually is included in the three way combo vaccine.

Vaccines temporarily reduce the effectiveness of the cat's immune system because the immune system has to go to work to build the antibodies to fight the 'disease' being introduced into the system. Some of you may have noticed your cats seeming a little under the weather after getting a vaccine. While this is normal, I don't want to over burden that immune system, and I think giving two separate vaccines at once, or worse, three, may weaken the effectiveness of all of them (that is my own theory, I don't know if it is clinically proven), and it certainly makes the cat feel like crap.

#14 lorilu, Sep 15, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2013
  15. MCWillow

MCWillow PetForums VIP

A couple of months, maybe 6 weeks?

I didn't know I was getting Blossom, so I asked Spid to get Cedar done with the leaukemia as all my others have it, but Blossom wasn't done as we didnt know she was coming home with me.

16. TatiLie

TatiLie PetForums VIP

My cats get the booster (cat flu + FeLV) every year because it's a requirement at the cattery. But when we move to a house I will get a pet sitting service instead, as Ari is getting more and more anxious. Then I will talk to my vet to see if they need it every year. He's a very sensible person, and he knows my cats doesn't have contact with other cats, so he might give us a better alternative. I don't believe the vaccines are bad for them. My cats act normal after the booster (they just hate me a bit more because of the trip to the vet) and they get more upset about the thermometer in their bum than the vaccine needle. I just think they're not necessary every year on their specific circumstances.

17. CharlieChaplin

Mine was a little longer September to January, around 4 months. So I feel that is a rather substantial amount of time to be given an early booster.

There is one vet at the practise that I do not like, she has been very dismissive of my concerns in the past. Then when I went to get their 2nd leukaemia jab done back in jan - she thought it was their initial! :eek:
    I can't remember if she was the one who said come back in October for it.

I really should move vets....

18. MCWillow

MCWillow PetForums VIP

What vets are you at CC?

19. CharlieChaplin

Lynton House - Woking.

Their reception staff are lovely and have been very helpful when I had to rush Charlie there as an emergency. I also liked one of the other vets I saw as he knew my cats, agreed with my feeding choices and was helpful with all my stupid questions. But there is one vet I am not fond of. She dismissed my chaplins poorly tummy when the other one offered stool samples if panacure didn't work.

Plus I don't like the distance - it was hard to get to after work as it is right in the middle of woking.

Am thinking of going more local - rosemount. But I just don't know them either.

20. MCWillow

MCWillow PetForums VIP

I've only been to Rosemount once, when I needed an idependant vet to verify that Holly no longer had a heart murmur - they seemed nice enough, but I have no experience on what they are like as actual vets.

I use Companion Care in Pets @ Home - I would recommend them, they have been absolutely brilliant with Rowan, and the others obviously, but Rowan is the famous one at the surgery :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice