Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Annual booster this morning, now in ICU with vomit and diarrhea

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by KittyKlimbers, Mar 18, 2021.

1. KittyKlimbers

KittyKlimbers PetForums Junior

Anybody else experienced this trouble recently? After her annual booster this morning of Nobivac Tricat Trio and Nobivac FeLV, my Ruby started to vomit and cry, developing diarrhea which then had traces of blood in it. She is now back at the vets, in intensive care, on a drip and sedated. They expect her to be there for three days - if she survives!

2. cava14 una

cava14 una Anne two black and white boys and a Nortie Tortie

Hope she recovers. Never had a cat or dog react to a vaccine but it does happen.

3. Bertie'sMum

Bertie'sMum Obedient Cat Slave

4. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

How awful; you think you are doing the best for them by getting it done. I hope Ruby will be OK.

5. KittyKlimbers

Ruby was discharged from the vets at 4pm on Saturday. They advised that she was no longer at any risk and all of her vital signs were now normal. We gratefully settled the account of £848.75 so that we could take her home. As expected, Ruby hid herself behind the sofa where she chose to stay for the rest of the night. On Sunday morning she was downstairs in the living room where we found her crying in distress and dragging herself across the carpet, her back legs limp, cold and useless. She was in a dreadful state having also defecated which was lodged in her long fur. We dashed to the vets who took her in to surgery at once. Half an hour later they advised that there was nothing to be done, Ruby was in a terminal condition and she should be put to sleep to end her suffering. Our expert veterinary service had killed our perfectly healthy 9 year old ragamuffin and charged us over £1000 for their service. (Termination and cremation charges are yet to be advised) Obviously no blame can be attached to the practice.

6. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

I can't tell you how sorry I am and very shocked to here this terrible news. Have you or the vet contacted the manufacturers of the vaccine? So very sorry. XX

7. KittyKlimbers

We expected a call today but, so far, just a stony silence.

8. OMG I am so sorry to hear this. Looking on NOAH, they list the risk of adverse events to be very low indeed.

For TriCat Trio, the possible side-effects are as follows:

"A slight painful swelling may be observed at the injection site for 1-2 days. A slight transient rise in body temperature (up to 40°C) may occur for 1-2 days. In some cases sneezing, coughing, nasal discharge, and a slight dullness or reduced appetite may be observed for up to 2 days post vaccination. In very rare cases, the vaccine may cause hypersensitivity reactions (pruritus, dyspnoea, vomiting, diarrhoea and collapse)."

https://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/?id=-455549

For FeLV

"Transient and small thickening or nodule, approximately 5-10 mm in size, may be observed at the injection site and disappear within 2 to 6 weeks without treatment. Occasionally, systemic reactions (hyperthermia, anorexia, lethargy) may occur within one or two days after vaccine administration.
    Where Nobivac FeLV has been used to reconstitute cat vaccines in the Nobivac range containing feline calicivirus (F9 strain), feline rhinotracheitis virus (G2620A strain) and/or feline panleucopenia virus (MW-1 or Bristol strain) prior to inoculation, a small nodule at the site of vaccination is frequently observed. It can persist for up to 18 days post-inoculation.

Occasionally, the nodule may be painful for up to 6 days after injection. A transient rise in body temperature or lameness may occur and last up to 3 days post vaccination. In some cases, a slight dullness or reduced appetite may be observed for up to 1 day post vaccination.

In the rare event of hypersensitivity reaction following vaccination, administer an antihistamine, corticosteroid or adrenaline without delay and by the most-immediate route.

The frequency of adverse reactions is defined using the following convention:
    - very common (more than 1 in 10 animals treated displaying adverse reactions)
    - common (more than 1 but less than 10 animals in 100 animals treated)
    - uncommon (more than 1 but less than 10 animals in 1,000 animals treated)
    - rare (more than 1 but less than 10 animals in 10,000 animals treated)
    - very rare (less than 1 animal in 10,000 animals treated, including isolated reports)."

https://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/?id=-455441

I would get the medical notes from the vet straight away to see how they managed the incident. I would also contact the manufacturer to explain what happened. They need to know.

And I would contact the regulators, the MHRA and the EMA (even though we've left the EU, we are still following their approvals for 2 years). They need to know in case this is a systemic issue.

I am so very, very sorry.

#8 Deleted member 1510209, Mar 22, 2021
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 22, 2021
    Calvine likes this.
  9. Charity

Charity Endangered Species

I'm so very sorry to read this.

10. Mrs Funkin

Mrs Funkin Human mother to Oscar

Oh @KittyKlimbers I'm so very sorry to read this about your beloved Ruby. I would absolutely be doing all the things that Douglas' Dad has said.

Poor Ruby, run free beautiful girl, knowing you were loved.

11. TriTri

TriTri Standing up for cats

I’m so sorry for your loss of dear Ruby. Horrendous and a second one on here in a short space of time. Someone should be made accountable. R.I.P Ruby x

12. urbantigers

urbantigers PetForums VIP

How awful. I’m so sorry for your loss.

13. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

I am so sorry for your loss and do hope that you can get some answers from your vet.

14. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice