Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Annoying!!!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by lauren001, Jul 2, 2009.

1. lauren001

lauren001 PetForums VIP

I see it so often that the OP asks a question that needs a factual answer, as opposed to a view, and perhaps a few posts down the line the question is really answered often quite comprehensively by someone.
    Then after another few posts another "expert" answers it again with exactly the same facts having obviously not looked at any of the previous answers.

Are these people so up themselves that they don't bother to read what anyone else has said?

1 person likes this.
  2. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Does it really matter?

3. Mese

Mese PetForums VIP

I agree with Nonnie, as long as the question gets a sensible answer it shouldnt matter whether the info is given once or twice :)

4. Tigerneko

Tigerneko PetForums VIP

I wouldn't be complaining if I asked a question and got the same advice over and over, it would just confirm it for me that it is probably the right thing to do ;)

....and if you can answer someone's question, you might as well. Other people may have more to add on to what others have said to help the OP further

5. rona

rona Guest

It does matter, more facts often come to light throughout a thread and the answer could change quite dramatically half way through a thread :(
    I have seen this happen so often :(

6. lauren001

lauren001 PetForums VIP

True.
    Reading the whole thread before answering is obviously the best course of action.

7. DevilDogz

DevilDogz Guest

I dont think it matters. You shouldnt need to read other people posts, all you need to do is read the question and answer it how you want! If there is already someone that has said the same as you have, then imo thats great for the OP to know there is more than one person saying the same thing!
    Im greatful that people would even read and take the time to answer, i certainly wouldnt moan that they didnt read everyone elses response

8. EmzieAngel

EmzieAngel PetForums VIP

Completely agree! :)

9. owieprone

owieprone PetForums VIP

it might be that the answer changes dramatically because someone has given incorrect info on something?

I would rather have people reiterate something already said, as this shows that it's not merely one point of view but something that is 'agreed on'. it also allows anyone with more knowledge on a certain subject to correct anything that might actually be incorrect or depending on the thread ill-advised.

chill out dudes, it's only a forum, if you don't like repeated answers don't read the thread after you've got the answer you're looking for. :D

10. rona

rona Guest

But what if the OP has put more info on the thread?

11. shezzy

shezzy PetForums Senior

I agree in the way of I personaly find repeated answers very helpful haha that sounds daft. Just makes me more confident of the right choice of advice.
    But everyones different, its gonna annoy some people where others will find it helpfull :)

12. owieprone

owieprone PetForums VIP

would also like to point out that some threads are WELL LONG and alot of us don't have time to sit and read the WHOLE 15 odd pages, but would like to help out when we have the knowledge.

Like me, i tend only to read short threads as i'm only on here during work and as i'm stupidly busy i don't want to waste time reading the whole sodding thread with 5 million answers just to give what i think is helpful advice, though i add my 2p on longer threads if i think my expert knowledge might not have already been said, i read the first 2 pages if it's not been mentioned already i say what i need to.

Tell me i'm wrong but surely lots of advice, even if repeated, is better than none or some that is complete bullballs?

13. JANICE199

JANICE199 PetForums VIP

I think its only right to read ALL posts on a thread,even if the same answer does come up.just my oppion.:D:D

14. DevilDogz

DevilDogz Guest

Well, people answering the thread can always just have a quick look throw and see what OP has said! Thats what i manily do i hardly ever read everyone else response, but i do flick throw and read just what the OP has said.!
    But does it really matter if some one comes up abit late and answer the original question i wouldnt mind!?
    I Think its not right to moan that someone has answered the original question instead of reading the last few pages.At the end of the day they took the time to answer it and wants to try and help!
    If some one has come on asking for seriouse help are you ment to read 3/4 pages throw before answering as your advice could be alot of help..(even if the problem has been sorted at least you know you tried to help and anyone else reading with the same problem may use you info later on if they have the same problem)..
    There been many a times i have seen some one on panicking for help and i have skipped and just answered the first question trying to help! I dont think im wrong for doing that

15. lauren001

lauren001 PetForums VIP

There is obviously a difference of opinion on how threads are viewed, I don't see a thread as a question and everyone then tries to answer in their own way as some seem to do.

I see it as a thread and the start of a conversation and as a conversation opinions get put forward, and others come in with other opinions or elaborate on others poster's answers and the OP can give more info if asked and posters may change their opinion or learn something and the whole thing then evolves and hopefully at the end the OP and those who post or who look in get a conversation not a Q and A session.
    I find conversations where people just say the same things as someone else has just said pretty boring.

Dozymoo likes this.
  16. shezzy

shezzy PetForums Senior

When it comes to reading all the posts I try and read them all (if im going to post on the specific (sp?) thread) and I have to admit that if I'm not posting at the start i feel kinda intimadated to join in on a long thread lol :p but I have sat here before and read more than like 20 pages on some threads haha :p but I think if your going to put in your input then you should read all the posts just so if your going to give repated info you can say wel i agree with ....
    But thats just my opinion.

17. rona

rona Guest

I think in your case, when dealing with people on the breeding section, some wasted time can be the difference between life and death.
    :):):)

18. I have had this debate with other members on more then one occassion! NO! I seldom read any of the other replies! Normally reply after reading the original thread and probably the last post made! If I then get really into it I may read what others have said! don't see a problem with this practise myself! as least by NOT reading what others have said our initial views arn't tainted!
    regards
    DT

19. rona

rona Guest

HaHa back to the beginning :laugh::laugh:

20. lauren001

lauren001 PetForums VIP

Yes that could be helpful in an emergency, but the OP may be on to delivering pup 3 with a quite different problem from her original post.

I have also seen those whose poor animal has actually died about 6 posts further back being given "hopeful" advice as to how it can be helped. :eek:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice