Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Annoying!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Zayna, May 30, 2010.

1. Zayna

Zayna PetForums VIP

Ok its not really my business and at the end of the day its up to them but my sis in law and her hubby are planning to buy a puppy for their 4 year old. its a lovely idea but the 4 year old is a real handful and they have a 1 year old who has just started to walk (they also want to try for another baby next year). They both work full time and whenever they arent working they seem to be out.
    I really dont think they have time to look after a hamster let alone a puppy. Neither of them has owned a dog before and I dont think they have even considered what kind of work is involved. I dont think theyve considered who will walk the dog while they are working, who will care for it when they go out or go on holiday or any of that.
    I think its a nice idea for my niece to have a pet as she loves animals but shes far too young to be responsible for looking after it and they dont have the time so i dnt know how its going to work.
    I just feel sorry for the poor dog and am wondering what i can say to change their minds.... they are good people but its really peed me off how they are rushing into this without thinking it through. They even begged us to have their pet rabbit when their first daughter was born as they didnt have time for it, now they have 2 kids and want a dog??? its just mental:mad:

2. bullet

bullet PetForums VIP

Shame they couldn't borrow one for a couple of weeks, to see how hard it can be:)

3. Maiisiku

Maiisiku Banned

Not a good idea. Another dog going to the RSPCA >.> I know how frustrating it can be but sadly if someone has their mind made up they won't change it.

4. Zayna

Zayna PetForums VIP

I know... I just cant stand it when people get animals and dont give them the time they need. I remember how sorry we felt for their poor bunny when they had their first baby. He was just stuck out in his hutch all the time looking miserable. We were going to give him a home but he got stolen/escaped one night. I hope they come to their senses.:(

5. Maiisiku

Maiisiku Banned

Thats really sad about their rabbit. My brother had a rabbit and they moved to a flat and they couldn't keep it anymore. So we had him. He was lovely albino and we had him for around 10 years. All you can do is remind them about the rabbit and say that dogs are high maitenance so you think another pet might be more suitable.

6. dobermummy

dobermummy Banned

if they really do have their hearts set on getting a dog can you try to get them to give an older dog a home? that way it will be already house trained and wont be so hyper round the children...

7. Zayna

Zayna PetForums VIP

i suggested that but they want a puppy as they feel it would be safer, most rescue centres wont rehome to places with children under 3 i think. im guessing they will change their minds when it wrecks the house and chews the babies toys to bits cos no one has time to play with it:rolleyes:

8. Chillinator

Chillinator Guest

The dog will either be back with the breeder or given to a home within two months, mark my words...

In all honesty, I think a dustbunny would be the most suitable pet. :rolleyes:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice