Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Annoying sleeping patterns?

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by NathanbUK, Sep 29, 2010.

1. NathanbUK

NathanbUK PetForums Junior

Right so I've had my chihuahua for over a year now (bought when young so is 1 year old) and she would always sleep right through to roughly 6am becuase she needed a wee or a poop but would then go straight back to sleep which I could deal with but recently she's become quite annoying at night times now, she'll get in her bed and roughly at about midnight she'll start barking and crying, but here's the crazy part it's only becuase she want a dentastick! So she gets one and then she'll go back to bed have about another half an hour and decide she needs a wee or poop so that's up with her again. Once she's done this time she usually sleep through till anytime between 3-5am wanting another Dentastick which she becomes really demanding for but obviously she doesn't get one and neither does she or I get any proper sleep from that time onwards. Also when she hasn't had any naps in the day and a longer walk than usual she still has these habits and can't seem to get tired out. I know I've wrote a lot there but it's just becoming really stressful in my life and I don't know how to deal with this problem so really hope you could help me. Thanks!

2. Helbo

Helbo PetForums VIP

Firstly - If you want the whining to stop then don't give in by giving a midnight dentastick. Make sure your dog has something else to chew in bed incase theres a different reason for the chewing (stress etc)

Ok - so every time your dog whines take them out to the toilet, praise if they "go" then put them straight back into bed and ignore.

This might get tiring as it is a battle of wills, but you need to teach your dog that whining = toilet, and not attention or dentastix! Once the dog realises that they can't demand things from you in the night, then they should settle down.

Good luck :)

3. billyboysmammy

billyboysmammy PetForums VIP

lol i think she is playing you around!

I would try putting her to bed earlier, with her treat, and then popping her outside for her last wee at about 11. Ignore all other attempts to get you awake (unless your positive its a toilet trip), and give her some nice calming signals.

Loud long sigh, yawn, and turn over... usually works

4. NathanbUK

NathanbUK PetForums Junior

Thanks very much for your help!! Fingers crossed Ill finally get my full nights sleep back soon!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice