Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Annoying dog walkers!

Discussion in 'Lost and Found Dogs' started by Chatcat, Jul 23, 2017.

1. Chatcat

Chatcat PetForums Member

Hi,
    Can anyone tell me the protocol for on lead/off lead meeting? The reason I ask is because I have the same scenario over and over again and it is beginning to get on my nerves! I don't let my dog off lead unless I am in very specific, very safe areas, as she has confidence/fear issues, so often I am meeting dogs who are off lead while she is on lead. Now, I know that they can be defensive on lead, etc, but we are perfectly capable of meeting other dogs and being friendly. Twice today, two different loose dogs with no recall whatsoever bounded up to us. Both dogs ran full on up to us and sniffed her, and the first one she ignored, but the second one she had a go back at. It was much bigger than her. What was really annoying is that I said, "Wow; that is a big dog" and he said "she's quite friendly!" Well, my point is, that my dog is not overly friendly, as he found out, but it is just really annoying that these people think it is okay to let their dogs just run about all over the place so meeting each other is not controlled, it is just a free for all. I also had someone say "Is your dog friendly or do I need to put my dog on his lead?" She must have known it would bound up to us (it did), but she didn't care. They don't seem to take into account that MY dog might not like it.

2. Dr Pepper

Dr Pepper Banned

Protocol always used to be if you are approaching a dog on a lead you reciprocate. Unfortunately many people don't these days.

3. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Loose dogs should not be bounding up to dogs uninvited, especially if they are on lead.

If their owner cannot control them, recall them and stop them from doing do they are in breach of Dog Law.

#3 Lurcherlad, Jul 23, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2017
  4. Siskin

Siskin Look into my eyes....

I would shout across to the owner (if in sight) to put their dog on a lead rather then wait until anything happens.

I have a friendly dog who would probably like to come and introduce herself though usually a brief sniff is enough for her and she does have a good recall, however if I spot a dog on a lead coming towards us then I put her on the lead too, it's only polite. Many seem largely unaware of this and then when your nervous/shy/lead reactive dog feels the need to snap as for some reason it's your fault.

I've had someone shout at me when her offlead dog went for my previous dog who was onlead, as she didn't like other dogs approaching her, that it was my fault for having my dog on a lead as her dog didn't like that:rolleyes:

Lurcherlad likes this.
  5. Chatcat

Chatcat PetForums Member

Well, to be fair, there are a lot of people who do put their dogs on leads when they see me, and we do have nice controlled meetings, some of whom have become great friends, it's just the annoying ones that you remember!

havoc and Lurcherlad like this.
  6. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

Just keep moving.

My Jack Russell is very intolerant of any dog that bounds up to her and she will attempt to see them off, so I keep walking, fast, and don't allow the other dog to sniff.

If a dog is very persistent, I will turn round and yell at them, stamp my foot, whatever, to make it clear they're not welcome.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  7. labradrk

labradrk PetForums VIP

You need a big GSD or Rottie or other scary breed! and practice your scowl! it's funny how many are quick to call diddums away :D

In all seriousness, depending on the your breed of dog, many do just seem to ASSUME that because your dog is _____ (insert non threatening looking breed) that it is ok to be approached. I get that with Bo, who's a grey hairy thing Joe-Public thinks is a Labradoodle, whereas I find I get a lot more respect with my GSD.

I find that sometimes you have to say something to someone if they are close by and are making no attempt to get their dog. I try and be pleasant and just say something short and sweet like "mine are a bit grumpy, sorry" or "mine aren't very friendly, sorry", which is a sort of neutral but polite statement and most people do call their dogs away. On the odd occasion we get the bolt from the distance type of dog run up, usually me bellowing at the dog and gesturing it away, with my dog next to me or behind me, is enough to get it to go.....

Lurcherlad likes this.
  8. Chatcat

Chatcat PetForums Member

Thanks very much everyone, I think that possibly I need to be a little more proactive when being approached, both to the dog and the human!

Lurcherlad likes this.
  9. Staffy Si

Staffy Si PetForums Junior

Get yourself a muscle dog, I'm annoyed same as you are by people thinking it's fine for their dog to go running upto other dogs, not every dog accepts dogs, I have a staffy he's good with other dogs as long as they don't show any aggression to him as soon as they do taz will protect himself and be aggressive too, taz stays on lead cos I don't know how good his recall is as I took him on from a work committed family so they didn't have time he needed, there are so many idiots out there with aggressive uncontrollable dogs which is why I love my staffys cos if another dog comes up to my dog (who is on a lead) giving him grief then it's not my fault if the other dog gets mauled as that is what a DOG LEAD IS DESIGNED FOR TO PREVENT DANGERS,
    have respect for owners who's dogs aren't used to other dogs and use your lead, my boy is a friendly staff and I'm not a typical person having them as a status symbol,

10. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

What is a muscle dog?

11. Staffy Si

Staffy Si PetForums Junior

Hi sweety, a muscle dog is a breed like a British staffy, rotti, American staff, or a breed that is a powerful type, I'm not trying to sound like an aggressive owner I just hate owners that allow their dog to come up to mine off lead cos I don't want any dog to fight but if it happens I like to know my dog has a good chance of defending itself as I've seen spaniels, collies, and toy dogs attacked purely cos of an owner that has no recall over their dog,

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice